The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sam Gagner from Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jeff Jackson (Gagner’s agent) on Sam Gagner:

“Although he was disappointed out of camp, he was going to go to Toronto and work on his game and wait for an opportunity. He is extremely excited to be back up and has made good strides down in Toronto.”

"Personally my view doesn't really matter but Sam shouldn't have left the team in the fall, he was good enough to make that team, personally that’s my opinion. End of the day Sam is there and hopefully there till the end of the season."

“Things change in the NHL week to week and when Sam signed in Vancouver we felt it was the best fit. Strange things happen but Sams approach is stay up and make an impact.”

"The media speculation in the Vancouver market that the Canucks⁠⁠ and Sam were done, I think that was totally over-blown. That was never the case, that tweet wasn't right that neither party had moved on. Sam is excited to be back."

"Sam has great vision and skill still, he can help with the powerplay, he will produce. If Sam plays with offensive-minded players like he did last year, with the Sedin twins, Vanek and Boeser, he can produce but that is up to Travis."

Well good thing we have all those offensively-minded players to spread around and bring Sam's game up to a very average level. 

This is the problem with SG. He can produce a moderate amount if he's being carried by others on his line. He doesn't make anyone else better and he can't step up and be a game changer on his own. He's a passenger. Passengers shouldn't whine about who they play with. 

17 hours ago, Krzysl said:

So what? 

If he plays well enough and with injuries rampant throughout the league, perhaps the next time we put him on waivers, someone actually claims him (or even better we can trade him for a late pick or something).

That's what.

I like the move I'm sick of seeing this team decimated with injuries needing players step up and guys like Schaller, Archibald, Motte and Goldobin skating up and down the ice accomplishing next to nothing.

One thing I noticed and it was only preseason mind you is that Gagner to me looked a little faster and stronger in puck battles and was making cleaner plays and passes hopefully that wasn't a preseason mirage and combine that with more urgency like he's never had to have before we just might get something good out of him!

If I'm Green I take this a step further and bring up big strong skilled MacEwen and physical strong stay at home and solid Sautner or insert Biega who plays great when he gets the odd game and sit a couple more players who need a wakeup call.

Well, the team does need a wake-up call. Leipsic, Motte, Schaller, and Goldobin haven't really met expectations. Leipsic and Motte in particular give the puck away, pass to nowhere, fall down or miss their man defensively. It's so frustrating to watch. Goldobin has been ok, and I think there's still hope there. He needs to learn from Pettersson the drills to improve his shot. He also needs to calm down, and look for an open man to pass to instead of a dump to empty corner. Gaunce hasn't been bad, so I'm not sure why he hasn't played more. Besides the obvious, Virtanen (I think) has met expectations. It doesn't seem to matter what line he is on, he is making smart plays and maintain puck possession. He is making things happen, even if it's not him putting it in the net. At most, he's taken a few bad penalties, but that's about it.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure Babcock would be that enthused by a player that didn’t care that much for defensive play (I know you were just joking in you post).  He’ll get another contract but I doubt any NHL GM will give him more than a one year deal.  Player seems to have motivational issues.  Other players on the team didn’t play him off the roster; he was his own worst enemy.  His work ethic got him off the team.  There’s a reason why he was drafted high as there is talent there.  It’s a question of whether this wake up call will be long lasting.

You were spot on, as my comment was tongue in cheek... To be honest I haven't really paid that much attention to WN, but if what you say is the case, then I never want to see him on our roster.... Can't stand entitled floaters, who only turns it on at at their leisure or in contract year... 

At the moment we seem to have a lot of players, who despite maybe being short top class ability, always gives 100%... I like that.

Thanks for you read on it +1

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Personally my view doesn't really matter but Sam shouldn't have left the team in the fall, he was good enough to make that team, personally that’s my opinion. End of the day Sam is there and hopefully there till the end of the season."

MIght want to shut up - that is if your job is to say things in the best interest of your client.

Waiving Gagner was a no-brainer.  Period. 

And this recall opportunity comes in the wake of a M.A.S.H. wave, and a group of exhausted youth after a long, gruelling stretch of travel and play.

A veteran NHLer like Gagner scoring a ppg in the AHL does not exactly or necessarily scream "recall me".   Wadr, there are countless players capable of a ppg in the AHL - including a few young Utica prospects that Gagner may feel fortunate to have gotten the cue before.

In any event, this isn't that consequential to this team - Gagner is serviceable enough in a transition year where the team is struggling to tread water with a patchwork lineup night in night out - but these are stupid comments that are only going to agitate a fanbase that supported that move wholeheartedly - and a management group that did what it had to in the best interest of the team.   I'm one degree less receptive to Gagner as a result.   Don't dislike the player - but let's get real - he landed in the AHL because the team had better options when healthy - players that fit their roles better and made more sense from the perspective of the future of the franchise.

Best of luck regardless SG - and if you wind up pump and dumped, all the better.

Kudos to GMJB for not letting the whiny chirping prevent him from making this recall.  Personally, I might not have bothered with SG if I were GM and he and his agent had made the comments they have.  Clearly, Benning doesn't take things personally.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Makes sense really. Gaudette and Motte could really use some more time in the AHL and the Comets could really use them. Guys like Gaunce and Leipsic aren't stepping up with the opportunity so why not call him up and hope he can come back in motivated and make an impact.

Might of been the wake up call he needed

Terrible assessment wadr.

First of all Motte has been one of the best, pleasant surprises on the team - works hard every shift, has been the team's most consistently physical forward, has excelled in his shutdown role and has simply been outstanding.  Suggesting Motte needs time in the AHL is a whiff:   when a young player like him comes in and commands a roster spot despite waiver ineligibility to start the season, and performs like he has as a youngs shutdown forward - even with this team's principal shutdown centers out of the linep - you do not assign that player to the AHL - and what's more, he's no longer waiver eligible - so the idea of waiving Motte - is just a terrible one.   One of the last guys who'd deserve to be waived.   The real 'problem' with Motte are the uninformed highlight reel fans that measure a player by production alone and are expecting secondary scoring from a young forward with 34% ozone starts in a depleted bottom six.

Gaunce isn't "stepping up"?   Again - by what measure?

In his small sample he has:

3 pts in 3 games

54.1% corsi (with 42.9% ozone starts).

61.5% faceoffs

10.5 on ice (5 on 5) goals for per 60 and 2.6 against.

Not sure what you form your 'evaluations' on, but these two claims are way off base.   Moreover, these are a pair of young forwards that are shutdown wingers - something that Gagner does not provide an alternative to.

Leipsic has struggled early to produce - 5 pts in 13 games is not terrible, but he hasn't developed chemistry to this point.  Gaudette is understandable to move between Van and Utica as they seek to keep him on an upward development trajectory with some big minutes and success at the AHL level as a contrast to difficult matchups and moderate success at the NHL level.

Lastly - if Gagner needed a "wake up call" at this stage of his career - that's not exactly a redeeming quality.  He's had a 'wake up' call before - has cleared NHL waivers twice in his career now, previously as a Flyer  - something his uppity agent might want to 'recall'.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Terrible assessment wadr.

First of all Motte has been one of the best, pleasant surprises on the team - works hard every shift, has been the team's most consistently physical forward, has excelled in his shutdown role and has simply been outstanding.  Suggesting Motte needs time in the AHL is a whiff:   when a young player like him comes in and commands a roster spot despite waiver ineligibility to start the season, and performs like he has as a youngs shutdown forward - even with this team's principal shutdown centers out of the linep - you do not assign that player to the AHL - and what's more, he's no longer waiver eligible - so the idea of waiving Motte - is just a terrible one.   One of the last guys who'd deserve to be waived.   The real 'problem' with Motte are the uninformed highlight reel fans that measure a player by production alone and are expecting secondary scoring from a young forward with 34% ozone starts in a depleted bottom six.

Gaunce isn't "stepping up"?   Again - by what measure?

In his small sample he has:

3 pts in 3 games

54.1% corsi (with 42.9% ozone starts).

61.5% faceoffs

10.5 on ice (5 on 5) goals for per 60 and 2.6 against.

Not sure what you form your 'evaluations' on, but these two claims are way off base.   Moreover, these are a pair of young forwards that are shutdown wingers - something that Gagner does not provide an alternative to.

Leipsic has struggled early to produce - 5 pts in 13 games is not terrible, but he hasn't developed chemistry to this point.  Gaudette is understandable to move between Van and Utica as they seek to keep him on an upward development trajectory with some big minutes and success at the AHL level as a contrast to difficult matchups and moderate success at the NHL level.

Lastly - if Gagner needed a "wake up call" at this stage of his career - that's not exactly a redeeming quality.  He's had a 'wake up' call before - has cleared NHL waivers twice in his career now, previously as a Flyer  - something his uppity agent might want to 'recall'.

Can’t undertand why anyone would be unhappy with Motte.  Exceptional motor who brings consistency every game, and really, every shift, which is rare.  If he was 10-15lbs heavier he would be one of the leagues best forecheckers hands down.

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Can’t undertand why anyone would be unhappy with Motte.  Exceptional motor who brings consistency every game, and really, every shift, which is rare.  If he was 10-15lbs heavier he would be one of the leagues best forecheckers hands down.

yeah, and he's only 23 - is likely to gain more strength over the next few years, and possibly 10 lbs as well - although he's already a pretty compact 5'10" and 192lbs.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“Although he was disappointed   disappointing out of camp, he was going to go to Toronto and work on his game and wait for an opportunity. He is extremely excited to be back up and has made good strides down in Toronto.”

made good strides? Like getting into shape and making an effort? like he should have done here? 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Well at least there will be a target now not named Pouliot, Eriksson or Goldy... 

yes.  good cover from the Ls that need a whipping boy.   enter Gagner.   The GDT might have a new chew toy.

where'd all the Gud haterz go btw?  A healthy EG sure shut them up.

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah, and he's only 23 - is likely to gain more strength over the next few years, and possibly 10 lbs as well - although he's already a pretty compact 5'10" and 192lbs.

I think he's playing career NHL game 100 tonight, which puts him above nearly all 3rd round and I think the majority of 2nd round picks. So that 2nd or 3rd everyone wanted for Vanek has already paid off in a player showing real potential as a shut down player for us. Its a trade thats paid off already and that doesn't always happen this fast. 

I don’t check the player specs but I’m surprised to see the 192.....has the speed to hit.  Would like to see a few more but regardless he is the best puck hound we have atm.

yes.  good cover from the Ls that need a whipping boy.   enter Gagner.   The GDT might have a new chew toy.

where'd all the Gud haterz go btw?  A healthy EG sure shut them up.

They're writing for Canucks Army and the Canuck Way, oldnews.

5 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I like the move I'm sick of seeing this team decimated with injuries needing players step up and guys like Schaller, Archibald, Motte and Goldobin skating up and down the ice accomplishing next to nothing.

One thing I noticed and it was only preseason mind you is that Gagner to me looked a little faster and stronger in puck battles and was making cleaner plays and passes hopefully that wasn't a preseason mirage and combine that with more urgency like he's never had to have before we just might get something good out of him!

If I'm Green I take this a step further and bring up big strong skilled MacEwen and physical strong stay at home and solid Sautner or insert Biega who plays great when he gets the odd game and sit a couple more players who need a wakeup call.

I hope your right. And you could be! Goldy played well and looked like he forced Sam off the line up!

Archived