The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sam Gagner from Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

Ok, as for the rampant negativity, we've easily had the worst schedule in the league, we've had an absurd amount of injuries and have still been involved in a majority of those losses. Things will get better.

As for the Gagner call-up, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. He's still an NHL talent, and we're depleted upfront. Archibald and Gaunce haven't done enough to warrant a lengthy stay, while rookie Gaudette is still looking for his first. 

This is a far better team when Sutter and Beagle take over the defensive draws, and Boeser and Baertschi bring the offense. 

I actually like this,

I would like to see Gaudette back in Utica to develop his pro game and Gagner can eat up boring NHL minutes. This tea, isn't winning anything this year anyway albeit, they are a lot more exciting.

Tether him to Pettersson, and hope to watch him be on pace for 50 points, then sell him at the deadline hopefully.

Seriously, this team is depleted up front and throughout the lineup.  At best, hope we could see something like the following roster:

Goldie - Bo - Jake (some semblance of a top-6 caliber 1st line)

Louie - Pete - Sam (there is talent there, albeit inconsistency)

Leipsic - Granny - Motte (some talent and effort, not the best but okay)

Roussel - Gaunce - Schaller (not the worst defensive 4th line)

50 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ok, as for the rampant negativity, we've easily had the worst schedule in the league, we've had an absurd amount of injuries and have still been involved in a majority of those losses. Things will get better.

As for the Gagner call-up, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. He's still an NHL talent, and we're depleted upfront. Archibald and Gaunce haven't done enough to warrant a lengthy stay, while rookie Gaudette is still looking for his first. 

This is a far better team when Sutter and Beagle take over the defensive draws, and Boeser and Baertschi bring the offense. 

Gaunce has played well, I don't know what else he could do, 3 pts in 3 games, and only a few shifts yesterday. Green should know he needs to roll 4 lines so the other 3 lines don't get tired by the third. Probably why this team has given up the most goals in the third period so far this year

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

haha the tank talk again.

its a tight league - not many points separate success from failure.

I agree that we won't be making the playoffs - especially when games are played with more intensity during the last few months of the season - until we can get a better netminder.

Luckily we have 2 in the pipeline, but obviously we are thin right now...  We'll see.  I don't embrace the tank but if it happens we can hope Demko is ready by next year.  I haven't followed him much this year at all, I'll have to check into how he is doing.

anyways, most people here have been saying we are a year or 2 away.  EP has been giving us some hope that this year could be a breakthrough year, and I hope that happens.... but won't be surprised if we need to wait for our #1G and #1D to arrive from the pipeline.  At least we need them to arrive before we are actually competitive for a cup.  so another top draft pick (or 2 at the most) won't be unwelcome...

Demko hasn't played yet this (reg) season -- concussed. 

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If he appears in more than 10 NHL games or is on the roster for more than 30 days, he will require waivers again.

In this case I hope he plays 10 games and gets snapped up....so we don't have to see his sorry ass again.

How the hell is that building for the future letting that soft, lazy floater score a few points...maybe?

3 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Latest update says Roussel likely to play tomorrow .  Gaudette is no better at faceoffs than Gagner, plus there is his development to consider. 

I trust Travis Green knows how to develop players better than you do.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It's true, Archie sat because he's produced nothing.  Gaunce went in and played 4:58 and Schaller played 8:52 and produced nothing either.

Schaller has started with Horvat and Granny as the line to take the d-zone starts and match ups.  Schaller clearly not lasting very long in this lofty position.  This is where I expect Gags to slot in and it moves all the lunch bucket types down a notch to where they can do something productive.

I have been calling for this as soon as the injuries hit. I mean, how can we not? In fairness to Sam and for the team, we have 2 of our 4 centers injured and no one takes face offs outside of Bo. I am surprised it took this long, for the team to slide from a respectable record to 2 games below 500. for them to do it. 

I would imagine it’s because this was a hard call to make for benning to Sam to say “hey Sam we were wrong, please come back we need ya” 

25 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I trust Travis Green knows how to develop players better than you do.

Oh, ya think ?  I just think there are a number of considerations when they (those that know better) decide what course of action to take with guys like  Gaudette /Gagner/Archibald .  Utica needing players when they're paying Gagner 3.15 to play for  rival AHL team while Gaudette has like 3 assists in 16 games and Gaunce /Archibald are playing sparingly is another dynamic I'm sure is being considered. Anyway, you missed the point but not the ignore list ! See ya Mr. personality .

Archived