The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sam Gagner from Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to be that guy but he's never scored 20 goals in a season in his 10 year career, but I agree something clearly isn't working with the team and hopefully Gags comes back reinvigorated and plays like his job depends on it. 

Yeah something is definitely weird with the team these days... can’t really pinpoint it...

Maybe Boeser, Sutter, Bärtschi, Edler, Nilsson (returning) and Beagle being injured has something to do with it. 

Dunno though...

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to be that guy but he's never scored 20 goals in a season in his 10 year career, but I agree something clearly isn't working with the team and hopefully Gags comes back reinvigorated and plays like his job depends on it. 

Sorry 18 goals...geez

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

gawd we suck

too many injuries killing us AGAIN

If Sutter, Beagle and Edler ( shutdown guys - closing out games) with Boeser's scoring were on that road trip I'm sure two losses would be removed from our record.

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Tether him to Pettersson, and hope to watch him be on pace for 50 points, then sell him at the deadline hopefully.

If he is on pace for 50 points in the remaining 60 games, he'll be back next season on EP's wing

Im ok with this move. There were rumblings after his demotion that he didn't take it well. Some articles had also surfaced regarding him not knowing why he was waived and there was an undertone that he was a disgruntled player. I am totally ok with him coming, i just hope he isn't disruptive when he is here and leads by good example like a seasoned pro. 

The only reason Gagner is being recalled, is because the depth that surpassed him in the pre-season have all slid lower than him on the depth charts.

That's it.  No clever waiver games, no impending trades that we know of at least. 

Leipsic the tiny, tiny busy bee, Gaunce the stone handed , and either hits the post or misses the net Goldobin, all are on the bubble.  Again.  Where they rightly deserve to be. Something has to give.  And Gagner coming back is I guess what management believes what they either need to pick up their play, or be waived themselves. Even Schaller might be on the bubble.  First line minutes and he has been pretty much invisible.  And even Roussel, who I like parts of his game, has been extremely lack luster in terms of his scoring game. 

Our "depth" has proven shallow.  So now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Good idea. 

Our PP is struggling offense is struggling we don't have enough top 6 players Gagner needed to be called up.  He'll be much better than schaller on horvats line. And he will likely help on PP as well. 

I'm glad JB wasn't stubborn . He made the right decision. 

28 minutes ago, xereau said:

The only reason Gagner is being recalled, is because the depth that surpassed him in the pre-season have all slid lower than him on the depth charts.

That's it.  No clever waiver games, no impending trades that we know of at least. 

Leipsic the tiny, tiny busy bee, Gaunce the stone handed , and either hits the post or misses the net Goldobin, all are on the bubble.  Again.  Where they rightly deserve to be. Something has to give.  And Gagner coming back is I guess what management believes what they either need to pick up their play, or be waived themselves. Even Schaller might be on the bubble.  First line minutes and he has been pretty much invisible.  And even Roussel, who I like parts of his game, has been extremely lack luster in terms of his scoring game. 

Our "depth" has proven shallow.  So now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Schaller the Invisible! Might as well add him to our injured list.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Worth noting that Gagner is actually perfoming quite well in Toronto with 15 points in 15 games for the Marlies. I find it admirable that he's still trying to keep his job while in the AHL.

This is my Favorite post! I was a fan when we first signed Gagne. But then I couldn't believe my eyes watching his slack  work ethic he brought with him. He is a serious talent and just never put the effort in. Going down to the Marlies and putting up 15 points couldn't hurt. Then watching our pp1 with Pouliot and Goldy enter the zone and then lose the puck with very low percentage passes( I was like Gagne would be better ). Maybe with some elbow grease and some effort we will see the Gagne that has talent put the hard hat and work boots on! He could be a fit with Pettersson. Hard to imagine him scoring less than Goldy and Erickson.

21 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I still actually like Gagner.

Hope he has a burn in his saddle, and comes back with a vengeance in this league to show he still has what it takes.

It really is his last opportunity. Most ppl have written him off and think he's done when his contract expires. This is his chance to earn a 1m deal on some team in the NHL as a utility depth forward. 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Gaunce only has appeared in three games this season so far (one goal and two assists).

Archived