The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Pacific Division is terrible

CanadianRugby

Anaheim probably has a chance to figure it out before the All-star break.

I don't think LAK will be able to recover at the rate they're going at. Things got stale there and they need a big shake up for that locker room. I could definitely see LAK do a sell off to re-tool possibly for next season. Just unfortunate that Quick is out for a while so that'll hurt their chances for a playoff run this year. 

LA is screwed with their goalie situation.

Tough to say with Vegas. I expected them to regress, but not by this much. They have some injuries right now so there is a bounce back possibility with them. Tough to predict the future but I could see them turning it around closer to the all star break.

I honestly think Anaheim's problem is coaching. The sooner they fire RC, the better chance they have at turning it around. If they keep him around long enough, they might play themselves out of the playoffs.

Vegas will rebound.  Team is too good, coach is to progressive not to be a middling team.

LA is screwed.  If they're smart they're looking at trading Doughty to the Leafs for Liljegren Nylander and picks

Anaheim is stuck in that Perry is injured.  Kesler out.  Fowler out.  Holzer, Lindholm.  They'll be fine come January/February

Calgary is trying to find their chemistry.  A team that young with that defence should be far far better but will be a middle of the pack team

Edmonton goes nowhere with that defence and one injury to McJesus and they're a lottery team

We will compete with LA for worst in the division, but I still feel that LA could wake up and push to be a bubble team if they could ever find any kind of consistent scoring.  I feel LA will try to fix the scoring before rebuilding.  We just overachieved early and nobody expected us to be so good so early, but it was a 5 week sample and we're coming back to earth.

yes the Pacific is bad, but with LA a 2 cup winner of aging vets, San Jose on empty, Anaheim endlessly hurt and aging; Vegas still trying to figure out who they are after a magical run and Vancouver finally rebuilding.  Honestly the only two teams that should be on the upswing in the pacific are Calgary and Edmonton but,......

I see SanJose starting to play better and should easily win the division. Calgary could be 2nd and Vancouver will be fighting Vegas for 3rd. The central division will fill out both wild card slots . 4th place in the pacific won’t be in the playoffs. Edmonton will be ahead of Arizona.  Anaheim is to injured to keep pace And LA will be last.

2 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

LA is screwed with their goalie situation.

Tough to say with Vegas. I expected them to regress, but not by this much. They have some injuries right now so there is a bounce back possibility with them. Tough to predict the future but I could see them turning it around closer to the all star break.

I honestly think Anaheim's problem is coaching. The sooner they fire RC, the better chance they have at turning it around. If they keep him around long enough, they might play themselves out of the playoffs.

i never liked the vegas coach.  he has run and gun systems with a red hot fleury that we will never see again.  its a good time for them to build the foundation as they have alot of picks in the pipeline

1 hour ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

i never liked the vegas coach.  he has run and gun systems with a red hot fleury that we will never see again.  its a good time for them to build the foundation as they have alot of picks in the pipeline

He also did a pretty good job in Florida before the analytics dweebs took control.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Only an issue atm until Marleau's off the books and if LA won't eat 30% or more of the cap

Taking Doughty’s NMC aside. For the 2019-2020 season, Toronto has $49.3M spent towards the cap. Add in Doughty’s $11M, and that’s $60.3M spent with 11 roster spots to fill.

Now, of those 11 roster spots, two will be going to Matthews and Marner. Let’s say a conservative $21M to sign the two of them. Putting the Leafs at $81.3M spent, with 9 more players to sign. Now, the cap will go up from its current $79.5M, but not that much.

11 hours ago, Monty said:

Taking Doughty’s NMC aside. For the 2019-2020 season, Toronto has $49.3M spent towards the cap. Add in Doughty’s $11M, and that’s $60.3M spent with 11 roster spots to fill.

Now, of those 11 roster spots, two will be going to Matthews and Marner. Let’s say a conservative $21M to sign the two of them. Putting the Leafs at $81.3M spent, with 9 more players to sign. Now, the cap will go up from its current $79.5M, but not that much.

Don't forget Mathew's $11 million minimum.  And Marner... too.  

There's ways it could get done.  Toronto would have the centers and 1 defenseman worth speaking of but won't have a team behind it.

Opposite

They can keep Matthews and Marner and will have the centers and a winger and no team behind them

LA is done.  Their best option is to cash in and enjoy their 2 stanley cup banners

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

LA is done.  Their best option is to cash in and enjoy their 2 stanley cup banners

I’m not so sure of this. If this was 3-4 years ago (even a year ago), I’d agree 100%. However, if there’s one thing current day NHL has told me, it’s not to write teams off so quickly.

I thought the Habs would be downright awful this year. Same with the Sabres. And same with the Canucks and Isles. Last year, thought the Devils and Knights would be unwatchable. However, all these teams exceeded expectations.

Do the Kings have problems? Absolutely. And so much so that I’m certainly inclined to agree with you that they can’t be good next year or the year after. But then I remember those teams above, that they’re well on their way to drafting Hughes, and that over the last decade, no organization drafts and develops more contributing NHL players beyond the first round than the Kings.

They sure look done, but after looking at the parity in the league, unless it’s the Coyotes, I can’t write off any team.

Archived