The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Damn I was really liking how Carc's was playing this year :(

Decent deal and worth a shot imo the only thing I'd say is I'd like to see a player like Carcone get the chance to get a few games in with the Canucks to see how his tools tenacity, speed and some skill translate in the NHL before trading him.

I was actually hoping as far back as last season get a look at Carcone seeing how many injuries we've had the last 2 seasons and how speed was an issue at times.

I think Carcone has a chance from what I'd seen of him and tools he possesses I'm curious to see how they both do.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Wonder if he lands on Horvat or Petey's wing? 

Realistically, he's probably got more of a '3rd line' ceiling (and maybe that spells playing with Gaudette, at least longer term) but I'd be pretty surprised to not see him tried in our top 6 given our lack of top 6 LW depth, especially with Baer still out.

And he does have some offensive ability. That said, he may also need to prove out as a better option than say Granlund/Eriksson/Roussel who could all play on Horvat's LW as well.

Something like:

Goldy, Pettersson, Boeser

Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen

Eriksson, Gaudette, Granlund

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Schaller, Gagner can play chicken with waivers/13th F.

...looks half passable as a roster.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

So I guess the question is: put him with Horvat or Pettersson?

I think Petey would make more sense. Create a bit of space for him, as long as leivo can keep up and be ready for a pass at any time...keeping up mentally that is.

the

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm still waiting on the other roster move. I mean we waived Leipsic in order to activate Beagle, by acquiring Leivo we're still about roster limit. 

if beagle is good to go then gaudette logically goes down now unless they are trying to get rid of players using waivers.

the speed at which benning made a move after leipsic got claimed makes me think the latter is a possibility.  ownership may have him in handcuffs about parking a contract in utica to add a player.

Not that Leivo is a savior in any way, but I feel a little better about the forwards group, with the added size in Leivo. It sounds like he wasn't given a fair shot in TOR, so hopefully he comes here and is revitalized. Only 25, his career is really only starting. I'm optimistic. If he has any grit, speed and smarts with that size, this is a really good deal for the Canucks.  I liked Carcone as well, thought he could maybe crack the lineup one day, but I'm happy with this trade. Canucks were lacking on the left side (with Baertschi out), so this certainly helps.

Just now, aGENT said:

Realistically, he's probably got more of a '3rd line' ceiling (and maybe that spells playing with Gaudette, at least longer term) but I'd be pretty surprised to not see him tried in our top 6 given our lack of top 6 LW depth, especially with Baer still out.

And he does have some offensive ability. That said, he may also need to prove out as a better option than say Granlund/Eriksson/Roussel who could all play on Horvat's LW as well.

Something like:

Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

It sounds like he's more of a Patrick Eaves type. Eaves (for the few games he played with Anaheim) was playing very nicely alongside Getzlaf and Perry. He may not be one to put up numbers but he certainly helped to do all of the dirty work to allow the other 2 to put up points. He, himself, didn't have a major offense but it still worked.

2 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

the

if beagle is good to go then gaudette logically goes down now unless they are trying to get rid of players using waivers.

the speed at which benning made a move after leipsic got claimed makes me think the latter is a possibility.  ownership may have him in handcuffs about parking a contract in utica to add a player.

I don't think they plan on moving Gaudette down until Sutter is back. They want the C depth/options.

Looks like people vastly underappreciate what Gaudette brings and underrated how good Carcone was for Utica this year. Really one of their best players.

Anyways, interested to see what Leivo can bring, even though I doubt he will have any more of an impact than Leipsic did.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Something like:

Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Try him with EP40 first, if not then would be intriguing to see him with Bo and Jake. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It sounds like he's more of a Patrick Eaves type. Eaves (for the few games he played with Anaheim) was playing very nicely alongside Getzlaf and Perry. He may not be one to put up numbers but he certainly helped to do all of the dirty work to allow the other 2 to put up points. He, himself, didn't have a major offense but it still worked.

Eaves was a 30 goal scorer that season with his time in Dallas. 

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

Looks like people vastly underappreciate what Gaudette brings and underrated how good Carcone was for Utica this year. Really one of their best players.

Anyways, interested to see what Leivo can bring, even though I doubt he will have any more of an impact than Leipsic did.

I think everyone appreciates Gaudette, I think maybe people are just thinking about what makes more sense, waiving another player and potentially losing more depth or sending Gaudette down and giving him more ice time. They will make the right decision though.

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

I think everyone appreciates Gaudette, I think maybe people are just thinking about what makes more sense, waiving another player and potentially losing more depth or sending Gaudette down and giving him more ice time. They will make the right decision though.

I must be one of the few people who thinks 10 minutes per game of NHL time is worth more than 20 minutes per game of AHL time. He's taking the exact same development path Horvat did.

Just now, Baer. said:

I must be one of the few people who thinks 10 minutes per game of NHL time is worth more than 20 minutes per game of AHL time. He's taking the exact same development path Horvat did.

I'm happy either way, they will decide what's best for him. 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've been watching Utica games, Carcone has really picked it up this year. Might hurt us down the road.

Someone sell me on Leivo.

0.73 career points-per-game in the AHL, and 0.33 in the NHL (84 games played).

History of showing well in playoff games (AHL & OHL).

Has a good shot. A little bigger (6'1, 203 lbs), will throw the body.

Not necessarily an upgrade on late 2017-18 Leipsic, but a big upgrade on the early 2018-19 one.

Archived