The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled from radio

Dazzle

On 12/8/2018 at 9:03 PM, luckylager said:

It's a great tune

My wife put it on earlier today and sung along

She thinks anybody who is offended by that song, or finds it pervy, or #metoo bull$&!# - "is a &^@#ing loser and should just lock themselves in a box and die."

Her words, not mine. My awesome wife is awesome, cuts right to the chase. 'Maybe just a half a drink more'

My first gf......so like a hundred years ago, was fine arts major professional dancer and avid vocalist.  Total punk rock woman’s rights mom was a total hippy and all that.

she used to sing this song to me in her husky jazzy voice.

:bigblush:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

So your optional choice of action is too simply look the other way so as to 'not give them attention'?

Sorry but that's how millions of people end up dead.

Our universities are quickly turning in to Marxist indoctrination facilities which is then leaking in to corporations, work forces, governments, elementary schools etc.

Something tells me if a bunch of Nazis were doing this, people would be a lot more perturbed and proactive about this...

I never said don't give them attention. I said don't try to shut them down from speaking altogether, because that's never worked, and certainly can never work anymore in our online world, and by doing that it just attracts more people to their stupid ideas because there's always a percentage of people that thinks anything deserves to be heard if someone else is trying to shut it down. 

You're too worried about Marxism in universities, its popular within the safe bounds of a nice safe unionized and tenured job but thats about it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I never said don't give them attention. I said don't try to shut them down from speaking altogether, because that's never worked, and certainly can never work anymore in our online world, and by doing that it just attracts more people to their stupid ideas because there's always a percentage of people that thinks anything deserves to be heard if someone else is trying to shut it down. 

You're too worried about Marxism in universities, its popular within the safe bounds of a nice safe unionized and tenured job but thats about it. 

Sorry but extremist ideas, whether that be jihad, genocide, Marxism etc do not get to be 'part of the conversation'. They are not condoned, reasoned view points. There may alway be a minority of people who think those things, that does not mean we 'hear them out'. By all means they're more than welcome to join back in to the centre left or right conversation but if you're promoting ideas that lead to the death of millions of innocent people, sorry, you're not invited to the party. 

You're not worried enough imo. Those kids they're indoctrinating are/will soon be running HR departments, governments etc. 

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry but extremist ideas, whether that be jihad, genocide, Marxism etc do not get to be 'part of the conversation'. They are not condoned, reasoned view points. There may alway be a minority of people who think those things, that does not mean we 'hear them out'. By all means they're more than welcome to join back in to the centre left or right conversation but if you're promoting ideas that lead to the death of millions of innocent people, sorry, you're not invited to the party. 

You're not worried enough imo. Those kids they're indoctrinating are/will soon be running HR departments, governments etc. 

lets put some perspective on these:

Jihad- terrorism - illegal

Dressing up like a Nazi - utterly creepy - maybe illegal if its hatey enough

Marxism - political philosophy - get over it

Banning a song - ridiculous 

you can't group these things together. Marxism isn't a growth industry, its spouted by people that won't ever have to be effected by it. The other things range from illegal to just goofy. 

Also, the biggest threat in north america to peoples rights happens to be on the right, just look at the crap Trump has tried (and mostly failed) to get away with. 

if you can explain how someone can extinguish an idea I'd like to hear it. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets put some perspective on these:

Jihad- terrorism - illegal

Dressing up like a Nazi - utterly creepy - maybe illegal if its hatey enough

Marxism - political philosophy - get over it

Banning a song - ridiculous 

you can't group these things together. Marxism isn't a growth industry, its spouted by people that won't ever have to be effected by it. The other things range from illegal to just goofy. 

Also, the biggest threat in north america to peoples rights happens to be on the right, just look at the crap Trump has tried (and mostly failed) to get away with. 

if you can explain how someone can extinguish an idea I'd like to hear it. 

Wow. 

Marxism killed way more people than the Nazis. No big deal apparently. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Wow. 

Marxism killed way more people than the Nazis. No big deal apparently. 

And even more have died due to religion.

Jimmy is right you can't ban ideas/doctrines. Personally it would be nice if there was an island where we could send all our wingnuts but alas it simply isn't feasible.

6 hours ago, Toews said:

And even more have died due to religion.

Jimmy is right you can't ban ideas/doctrines. Personally it would be nice if there was an island where we could send all our wingnuts but alas it simply isn't feasible.

Not arguing for religion either. Let's not straw man. 

I haven't ever argued you can 'ban ideas'.  Not sure where either of you are getting that from?

But extreme, murderous ideologies aren't welcome in our everyday political discourse. What an odd concept that I can't believe anyone is actually arguing for. Did we learn nothing from the 20th century? 

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not arguing for religion either. Let's not straw man. 

I haven't ever argued you can 'ban ideas'.  Not sure where either of you are getting that from?

But extreme, murderous ideologies aren't welcome in our everyday political discourse. What an odd concept that I can't believe anyone is actually arguing for. Did we learn nothing from the 20th century? 

I think Jimmy already echoed this point but Marxism is a philosophy, on what grounds would you restrict an idea from entering political discourse? The same goes with Nazism, you got to let people voice those ideas until and of course they get to the part on ethnic cleansing. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:picard: its not making a comeback. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/academic-extremism-comes-to-canada/article33185073/

This is from two years ago and it's only gotten worse:

How did we get here? Here's a very short answer.

University campuses have always leaned a little left. But in the 1990s, as the previous generation of academics was replaced by baby boomers, they began to lean dramatically left. The humanities and social sciences were colonized by an unholy alliance of poststructuralists and Marxists – people who believe that Western civilization is a corrupt patriarchy that must be dismantled.

According to studies of U.S. universities, 18 per cent of social-sciences professors say they're Marxists. Only 7 to 9 per cent identify as conservative. Leftism in the academy is a positive feedback loop – and we're now well past the point where the radicals have taken over. Those who don't agree just shut up. "There's no question there's an atmosphere of terror," one (older, white, male) professor told me.

These are people who believe our very way of life, freedom of speech, sovereignty of the individual etc are corrupt and are bent on dismantling them. And they're teaching tens of thousands of kids who are getting sent out in to the world to spread it through schools, businesses, governments etc. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I think Jimmy already echoed this point but Marxism is a philosophy, on what grounds would you restrict an idea from entering political discourse? The same goes with Nazism, you got to let people voice those ideas until and of course they get to the part on ethnic cleansing

On the grounds that we've seen the murderous consequences in the tens of millions of lives in the 20th century!

You can't separate the ideology driven,  extremist political 'philosophies' from the murderous results of said philosophies.

Freedom of speech protects their rights as individuals to say and think these things. That doesn't mean we need to validate or consider them as rational philosophies in functioning society.

How is this even a debate?!

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/academic-extremism-comes-to-canada/article33185073/

This is from two years ago and it's only gotten worse:

These are people who believe our very way of life, freedom of speech, sovereignty of the individual etc are corrupt and are bent on dismantling them. And they're teaching tens of thousands of kids who are getting sent out in to the world to spread it through schools, businesses, governments etc. 

On the grounds that we've seen the murderous consequences in the tens of millions of lives in the 20th century!

You can't separate the ideology driven,  extremist political 'philosophies' from the murderous results of said philosophies.

Freedom of speech protects their rights as individuals to say and think these things. That doesn't mean we need to validate or consider them as rational philosophies in functioning society.

How is this even a debate?!

so what are you actually suggesting? why would ending free speech be any kind of solution? 

you're worried about kids learning about Marxism in universities. The fact is most won't go beyond wearing a Che t-shirt. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so what are you actually suggesting? why would ending free speech be any kind of solution? 

you're worried about kids learning about Marxism in universities. The fact is most won't go beyond wearing a Che t-shirt. 

Who said anything about ending free speech? :blink: That's THEIR aim, not mine.

Most? Maybe. Enough to do damage... it's starting to appear that way. We're already seeing creeping Marxism throughout corporations and their HR departments, our laws, education etc.

Are we at 'Cambodia killing fields' yet? No. But I'd prefer we pay attention to the canaries dropping dead all over the coal mines before we get to that point, thanks.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so what are you actually suggesting?

I'm suggesting we as people and institutions stop caving to their asinine, dangerous demands and stand up for our damn selves, our freedom of speech, sovereignty as individuals (not groups) and tell them where they can take their murderous ideology.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who said anything about ending free speech? :blink: That's THEIR aim, not mine.

Most? Maybe. Enough to do damage... it's starting to appear that way. We're already seeing creeping Marxism throughout corporations and their HR departments, our laws, education etc.

Are we at 'Cambodia killing fields' yet? No. But I'd prefer we pay attention to the canaries dropping dead all over the coal mines before we get to that point, thanks.

thats interesting, I see it at about the level its always been, and I don't take it very seriously. The people i met in university that yapped about this were only able to do so because there's literally no consequences to them. Playing communist is a part of a lot of people's undergrad experience. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm suggesting we as people and institutions stop caving to their asinine, dangerous demands and stand up for our damn selves, our freedom of speech, sovereignty as individuals (not groups) and tell them where they can take their murderous ideology.

now we're agreeing on something. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats interesting, I see it at about the level its always been, and I don't take it very seriously. The people i met in university that yapped about this were only able to do so because there's literally no consequences to them. Playing communist is a part of a lot of people's undergrad experience. 

You're not paying close enough attention then.

Archived