The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nylander effect?

Alflives

On 1/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, Provost said:

It was just affirmed that Marner won’t sign until after the season either

Being on pace for well over 100 points makes the Leafs extra screwed.

Realisrically you coild see him and Mathews looking for at least mirror Tavares deals (plus the inflation for increased cap ceiling).

This is what tank nation gives you.  A two year Cup window when you have gathered enough top young talent to compete, before you have to start paying them market rate and dismantling your roster to afford it.

This is exactly what tanking gets you.  A couple high draft picks (in positions you do t really get to choose) a high priced UFA and inflated stats. I still don’t think TO can do anything with their defence and goaltending in the playoffs and their toughness will not hold up against Washington or Boston. Once they have to pay up for those high draft picks it will be back to tanking again. 

Benning has taken a lot of heat for his approach, but I like that he is trying to build something here. The Horvat contract sets a pretty high bar. Guys like Boeser are going to have to perform pretty consistently to value themselves at double Bo’s contract. Pettersson is going to cost money but looks to be well worth it. This is now the cap era, a 5.5M contract on a player worth 7-8M is far better than an 10M player with an 11M contract. Hoping we stay the course and avoid everything to do with the leafs model. 

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

This is exactly what tanking gets you.  A couple high draft picks (in positions you do t really get to choose) a high priced UFA and inflated stats. I still don’t think TO can do anything with their defence and goaltending in the playoffs and their toughness will not hold up against Washington or Boston. Once they have to pay up for those high draft picks it will be back to tanking again. 

Benning has taken a lot of heat for his approach, but I like that he is trying to build something here. The Horvat contract sets a pretty high bar. Guys like Boeser are going to have to perform pretty consistently to value themselves at double Bo’s contract. Pettersson is going to cost money but looks to be well worth it. This is now the cap era, a 5.5M contract on a player worth 7-8M is far better than an 10M player with an 11M contract. Hoping we stay the course and avoid everything to do with the leafs model. 

Totally agree.  It's best to trade away guys like Nylander, for the best return you can get, instead of signing them to dollars they don't deserve.  If guys are going to get big dollar and term, they better be playoff guys, glue guys, character guys, and play the right way.  

On 12/6/2018 at 6:23 PM, Blue Jay 22 said:

4-4. 

You have a very unhealthy obsession with Nylander for some reason. Did a Swede break your heart on the show back in the day, or does Virtanen’s play make you so insecure, you can’t help but take a shot at him every chance you get?

you know what

on december 6 i would have agreed with you

despite all alf's foibles

he is damn accurate about this flamingo

i sure dumbass is regretting this signing in a big way now

and his public promise to not trade wee willy

the laffs are really in cap hell

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

you know what

on december 6 i would have agreed with you

despite all alf's foibles

he is damn accurate about this flamingo

i sure dumbass is regretting this signing in a big way now

and his public promise to not trade wee willy

the laffs are really in cap hell

But when I talk to Leaf fans they say they can just trade him for a top four dman. Lol. He's is trending towards cap dump territory at the moment. Even if he picks it up, his showing up out of shape and contract hold out, have decreased his value. 

Just now, rekker said:

But when I talk to Leaf fans they say they can just trade him for a top four dman. Lol. He's is trending towards cap dump territory at the moment. Even if he picks it up, his showing up out of shape and contract hold out, have decreased his value. 

I think if Nylander had real value Dubass would have traded him during the hold out.  You're right though.  Now the guy is worth less than nothing.   

Just now, rekker said:

Exactly. GM's are onto flamingo boy. 

Mrs. Alf is the BIGGEST of Leaf's fans.  :sick:  Yes, it's horrible.  However, even she can't stand Nylander.  As soon as she saw his double Flamingo, she wanted the guy gone.  She really likes Marner, Matthews, and (of course) JT.  Those guys are super skilled, but they all play hard, and don't chicken out.  

Some dumb GM (Chia Pet?) will trade for Nylander though.  

Hes going to take time to get in game shape. Not easy to jump in to NHL mid season when all other players are in top shape. 

He'll be fine when he's in shape again.

You don't forget to play hockey in cpl months. Just conditioning and timing issues which will resolve in time. 

Nylander is a decent top six forward... when paired with Mathews and Marner... without them... not so much.

He definitely wasn't worth the money they are paying him... and I can remember how many people on this board who were clamouring for us to trade Tanev and/or Edler, plus Virtanen plus someone else for him.  Thank all the hockey Gods Benning was listening.

Paying that much for a secondary player is just not worth it... especially when you have Marner and Mathews to sign. 

Unless Toronto believes Mathews will walk... which is rumoured to be a possibility since he has said in the past he would like to play in his home state of Arizona.

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Nylander is a decent top six forward... when paired with Mathews and Marner... without them... not so much.

He definitely wasn't worth the money they are paying him... and I can remember how many people on this board who were clamouring for us to trade Tanev and/or Edler, plus Virtanen plus someone else for him.  Thank all the hockey Gods Benning was listening.

Paying that much for a secondary player is just not worth it... especially when you have Marner and Mathews to sign. 

Unless Toronto believes Mathews will walk... which is rumoured to be a possibility since he has said in the past he would like to play in his home state of Arizona.

Honestly, I don't think the Leafs will be screwed if Matthews walk. If they manage it well, it might actually be good for them. I think TML is already Marner and Tavares' team anyways and signing Matthews to 11+ mil contract and Marner to 9+ mil contract means you are committing 31 million dollars for 3 forwards. In contrast, Washington Capitals pay 9.5 + 7.8 + 6.7 = 25 for Ovi, Kuznetsov, and Backstrom. 

I think if there is such thing as the recipe for the cup contending roster, it's to have a couple of star offensive players supported by multiple secondary scorers and solid depth players up front, a backend consisting of legitimate top 2 defencemen, and a solid goalie.

With 11+ million dollars that Matthews will ask, Toronto can afford players like Guentzel and Oshie/Wilson (6 + 5.75/5). Marner and Tavares are elite forwards that can basically go toe-to-toe with any other scoring lines in the NHL, imagine if they are followed by Guentzel, Oshie/Wilson, Kadri, Kapanen, and Nylander? I don't know how many teams can match up against that depth. 11+ million dollars is also enough to pay for OEL or John Carlsson's salary (both around 8 million dollars) with 3 million dollars to spare to upgrade on a middle 6 player.

Other people have already proposed this in this forum but if Coyotes are willing, I would trade Matthews to Arizona for their first round pick (lottery pick), OEL (a top 2 RHD) to play with Rielly, and a young roster player playing on a cheap contract or a prospect on the verge of the NHL. Coyotes 1st rounder will be a top 10 pick, which means they are getting a good player playing on a cheap contract in 2 to 3 years on top of a roster player and OEL. 

But I don't think TML can pull off such moves. And Coyotes may not want to part with those players anyways, especially considering how difficult it is to get a # 1 RHD. The first round pick is probably of high importance to them as well since they are rebuilding. I bet they end up paying Matthews 11 and Marner around 9 (Marner may give a bit of a discount since it's his home team), then they will seek to trade Nylander in desperation. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:49 PM, WHL rocks said:

Hes going to take time to get in game shape. Not easy to jump in to NHL mid season when all other players are in top shape. 

He'll be fine when he's in shape again.

You don't forget to play hockey in cpl months. Just conditioning and timing issues which will resolve in time. 

Yes but he still played hockey even when he was not with the leafs. At which point does he get treated like every athlete who makes millions of dollars every year? It's almost 20 games now. It's not like he had to rehabilitate because of an injury. At what point do the excuses stop and his performance rightfully scrutinized? 

2 hours ago, Specz said:

Yes but he still played hockey even when he was not with the leafs. At which point does he get treated like every athlete who makes millions of dollars every year? It's almost 20 games now. It's not like he had to rehabilitate because of an injury. At what point do the excuses stop and his performance rightfully scrutinized? 

I think Nylander  practiced with a minor team in Sweden while sitting out.

I don't know the answer to ur question but I do know  he's a good player who will be just fine soon enough. Elite players don't forget hockey in 3 months.

I flew to Toronto to watch Gretzky play his last game in Toronto at the old Maple Leaf Gardens. His 8th or 9th last game of career. Cloutier was in net for NYR.. think He let in 7 or 8 goals... But i digress.....

Thing is lots of ppl on this board hate Leafs for some reason

. I'm not one of those ppl. I love hockey for the game it is. Enjoy watching all good teams and right now Leafs are a fun hockey team to watch.  

I really enjoyed watching Oilers vs Flames last night too. But I grew up on watching them in the 80s. Love those Albert battles.

How about them Flames btw. What a steal trade with CAR and good team. So fun to watch their games. 

I think they make it to the SCF. 

Archived