The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nylander effect?

Alflives

Nylander isnt a trainwreck ,its a fenderbender (hehe). Overpayment for sure to me, but a good servicable top 9 on almost any team all year. I doubt his play will suit the playoffs.

In the short term i think Nylander helped show the power players have in negotiation, some guys will be paid nicely. However in time we will always revert back to a results based contract, that will be rewarded with term.

1 minute ago, krutovsdonut said:

i think that was always the plan.  they first needed to create a "dispute" to justify doing it.

Guys who are overpaid have a much reduced value.  Leafs are stuck with their Fop.  I’d gladly take Marner though.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys who are overpaid have a much reduced value.  Leafs are stuck with their Fop.  I’d gladly take Marner though.  

the phone apparently wasn't ringing off the hook before they signed him either.  he's a big enough contract that teams that would want him have to get him in the offseason when they can juggle their cap room and lineup so he fits.  he will look pretty attractive to a gm in july compared to signing a ufa like lucic, neal or erikkson for not much less.

the problem for the leafs is that they have singled this guy out for no really good reason in terms of effort and play as their weakest link.  if they trade the guy and he plays lights out elsewhere it will haunt them as a management mistake.  so the strategy was to underpay him if he blinks, or create enough blood in the water if they have to sign him that they can move him in due course.  now all they need is an extended slump or some kind of further drama that is not clear;l the team's fault to be able to move him.  babcock can create that situation if need be. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched Wee Willie flinch when going out to block a PK Subban shot.  Instead of getting directly in the shot lane, Wee Willie (Double Flamingo) took a path where his smooth (and of course shaved) legs were safely to the side, and his stick was in the lane.  Subban’s shot hits Wee Willie’s stick, and goes in.   

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just watched Wee Willie flinch when going out to block a PK Subban shot.  Instead of getting directly in the shot lane, Wee Willie (Double Flamingo) took a path where his smooth (and of course shaved) legs were safely to the side, and his stick was in the lane.  Subban’s shot hits Wee Willie’s stick, and goes in.   

On top of that, Matthews's goal would of counted if Willie wasn't offside.

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

On top of that, Matthews's goal would of counted if Willie wasn't offside.

That was Nylander!  The broadcast I had was the Leaf’s version, and (of course) they didn’t say which player.  I hope that team explodes.  Wee Willie is making big coin now, and giving nothing of himself.  It’s only a matter of time before the other guys, who sacrifice their bodies to play the right way, start to call out Flamingo boy.  

It was just affirmed that Marner won’t sign until after the season either

Being on pace for well over 100 points makes the Leafs extra screwed.

Realisrically you coild see him and Mathews looking for at least mirror Tavares deals (plus the inflation for increased cap ceiling).

This is what tank nation gives you.  A two year Cup window when you have gathered enough top young talent to compete, before you have to start paying them market rate and dismantling your roster to afford it.

Archived