The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for Must Read Books

MikeBossy

1 minute ago, skolozsy2 said:

I just finished watching the HBO series on Sunday (for like the 20th time).   I keep telling myself to get the book every time I finish the episodes, but always put it off.

funny, I just finished it on saturday for at least the 20th time.  I highly recommend it as there's a lot of stuff that isn't in the series...........it focuses a lot more on Winters than the series

• Thanks 1

Should make this the literature thread — Recommendations, reviews, news; CDC has some pretty long standing and informative topics, and if there were a lit thread as epic as some of the others on here, it'd probably be my personal favourite.

As for the OP: Eyeless in Gaza by Aldous Huxley is one of my all-time favourites. Ape and Essence is a great, shorter read as well.

Dark elf series by RA Salvatore

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

David Eddings books, cant remember names but the ones about bhelliom and the tamuli trilogy

They are fantasy books though so just throwing them out in the mix for shiggles. 

Dark Force trilogy by Timothy Zahn, EU Star wars and what disney should have used instead of the dog doo they did. 

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Machiavellis The Prince

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On a serious note 

Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

Sapiens and its follow up Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari.

Fantasy 

Ian Irvine's series 

The View from the Mirror- 4 books 

The well of Echoes a trilogy 

The song of Tears trilogy.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, MystifyNCrucify said:

Dark elf series by RA Salvatore

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

David Eddings books, cant remember names but the ones about bhelliom and the tamuli trilogy

They are fantasy books though so just throwing them out in the mix for shiggles. 

Dark Force trilogy by Timothy Zahn, EU Star wars and what disney should have used instead of the dog doo they did. 

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Machiavellis The Prince

I've read them all and I concur.

If you like Eddings' stuff, I would recommend you check out Stephen R Donaldson. The Thomas Covenant series is a fantasy classic. And if you like SF, Donaldson's "Gap" series is excellent as well....

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 2:09 PM, MikeBossy said:

Just like the title says looking for some recommendations of must read books. Fiction or Non fiction - Politics is always a fav as is history. Post away fellow CDCer's

I enjoy the Aubry/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, follows a Royaol Navy Captain and his friend the ships surgeon (who is also an intelligence agent) the movie Master and Commander far side of the world is based on the 10th book of the series

• Cheers 1

If there are any Cdn ex-pats here, I'd recommend Alice Munroe's, "Runaway". Collection of perhaps 10-12 short stories. She often references areas in Vancouver, BC, or Ontario regions. Stories of folks & settings that felt very familiar & relatable for me. Like a cure for homesickness.

She captures the essence of people/situations, leaving a reader curious with anticipation. So many characters, you'll feel you've met a person(or two) just like them. Her eye for detail is precise. Then when you feel you can sense where something's going, AM will hit you with a nasty curve.

Just a gifted genius.

• Cheers 1

Finished Blackwater - The rise of The World's most Powerful Mercenary Army last week.

This is the story of  America's private Army that the Government has hired to "operate" in foreign war zones and America itself.

Must read for anyone interested in American politics and foreign policy.

The Fencing Master - Spain in 19th Century, a book on swordsmanship, friends, politics, mystery, class, honour. 

The Nautical Chart - Modern Day, A sailor without work, a woman leads him to a treasure hunting tale.

The Club Dumas - Modern Day, Collectors mania (Books), occult, a not so above board Book bounty hunter, and the devil?

The Seville Communion- Modern Day, A priest gets a cryptic computer message to save an old crumbling church. 

The Flanders Panel- Modern Day, A art restorer, finds a hidden message in a Flemish Painting about a murder centuries ago, leads to modern day murders and mystery.

All by Arturo Perez-Reverte

The Fencing Master is the first I read and my Favourite. 

The Three Musketeers- Alexandre Dumas. 

(Once you read it you'll understand why the 1973-74 movies are still the best, because they are the closest to the book)

A Man on the Moon- Long read, fantastic stories, the stories of those involved in the Apollo Lunar Missions. (From the Earth to the Moon TV series source material)

Shutting Down the National Dream- Greig Stewart. About the AVRO Arrow and A.V. Roe Canada. 

• Like 1