The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for Must Read Books

MikeBossy

9 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Just like the title says looking for some recommendations of must read books. Fiction or Non fiction - Politics is always a fav as is history. Post away fellow CDCer's

I don't read a lot of this kind of stuff, but for historical fiction, I recently read "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford. It's a fictional account of the history of England. The history is accurate, but the events that take place in the novel are fictionalized accounts of various protagonists throughout England's history. It goes back to before the building of Stonehenge and the occupation of Rome. I quite enjoyed it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarum_(novel)

Another writer of historical fiction that I cannot recommend highly enough is Canadian writer Guy Gavriel Kay. He writes Fantasy as well as historical fiction. (and sometimes the lines are blurred) I'm pretty sure I've read everything he's written and greatly enjoyed all of it. https://brightweavings.com/

• Like 1

Eureka Street - Robert McLiam Wilson.

It's actually jam packed with both (recent) history and politics. Fantastic read.

I've always enjoyed reading Graham Hancock, cooky as he is, I enjoy his work.

Recently read The Book of Hiram, dry at times, but if you're into history, you'll like it.

I don't feel like going to the basement and looking at my bookshelf for other suggestion ATM. Maybe later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Just like the title says looking for some recommendations of must read books. Fiction or Non fiction - Politics is always a fav as is history. Post away fellow CDCer's

This one has stuck with me for well over a decade since I last read it: https://books.google.ca/books/about/Evolution.html?id=uz5JbwC7yOkC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 1

The Asian saga(5 or 6 book collection) by James Clavell, was a pretty fun read. Mostly enjoyed these 3 decades back(as a young guy), but I'd probably still enjoy it as much.

Shogun  ..long read(but awesome!)

Taipan

King Rat  ..semi-autobiographical, Clavell's experience as an RAF 2nd war vet, incarcerated in Asian POW camp. Not for the faint of heart

Are the absolute musts with this direction. "Noble House"(mid 20th C on Hong Kong) is long, & rather over the top. I believe "Whirlwind" & "Gaijin" were the last ones to this saga, that I haven't got around to. Remember finding it cool how Clavell wove a narrative which kept families/characters(their descendents) popping up at different times, spanning centuries.

More how Asians perceive the passage of time, you might say.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots I could think of, but a personal fav....

I hadn't been reading for a few years. Was riding the ferries a lot to visit my sick dad. My wife had this book on the shelf and told me I might like it.

I did, I haven't stopped reading since. 

Not Wanted on the Voyage

Not Wanted on the Voyage is the story of the great flood and the first time the world ended, filed with an extraordinary cast of remarkable characters. With pathos and pageantry, desperation and hope, magic and mythology, this acclaimed novel weaves its unforgettable spell.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1101679.Not_Wanted_On_The_Voyage

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/16/2018 at 2:09 PM, MikeBossy said:

The Da Vinci code!

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins