The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

There was a scrum...it wasn't limited to these guys.

And we've screamed for this in the past...for our guys to fly in and protect each other.  So now it's a matter of "not you"?   Come on, what's the point of having Guddy there if he can't participate?  It gets ugly when someone's laid out on the ice due to a needless headshot.   

Look, I don't like any of it.   But don't tell me Guddy shouldn't....I believe it's why he's here.  Just because this "kid" isn't his size or weightclass.  Wonder if those targeting Petey consider that?  We're at the receiving end at times.  We lost him for games due to it.  

It ALL needs to be cleaned up and then we won't have to discuss it.

I agree with the last part.

I also agree that headshots need to come out of the game. 

I supported both Jake and Brock when they stood up for their teammates.  I am all for that as long as there is fighting in the game.  The scrum though was Jake, Martel and a linesman.

This isn't just a Guddy thing or a size thing ( I only brought up size as a responding to the Pussy comment the other poster had made.)  I don't like it when someone attacks a defenseless player in any situation, don't care what colour the uniform is.

I don't agree that Guddy needed to jump in, Jake was addressing it.  He could have easily of grabbed another Lightning player, plus his first action was to grab the guys helmet and pull it off as it was his intent to really do some harm to a player that was already engaged with Jake.

These guys put themselves at such risk every day with the speed of the game and the size of the players.  They shouldn't be throwing hits like Martel did, and he should get suspended, but Guddy shouldn't have been pulling that crap either.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Let's talk playoff success, shall we?

Funny, when the Canucks were top of the league but didn't win the cup, we were weak.  Didn't have it.  Counts for nothing.

When it's Tampa...different set of standards.

Great teams in December don't matter.  Great teams in the spring do.   And I think our team could be as great (or better) than TB by then.  I know it.

They've been to the ECF 3 out of the last 4 years.  They're one of the top 3 teams of the last 5 years, at least.  Fall, winter and spring

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I agree with the last part.

I also agree that headshots need to come out of the game. 

I supported both Jake and Brock when they stood up for their teammates.  I am all for that as long as there is fighting in the game.  The scrum though was Jake, Martel and a linesman.

This isn't just a Guddy thing or a size thing ( I only brought up size as a responding to the Pussy comment the other poster had made.)  I don't like it when someone attacks a defenseless player in any situation, don't care what colour the uniform is.

I don't agree that Guddy needed to jump in, Jake was addressing it.  He could have easily of grabbed another Lightning player, plus his first action was to grab the guys helmet and pull it off as it was his intent to really do some harm to a player that was already engaged with Jake.

These guys put themselves at such risk every day with the speed of the game and the size of the players.  They shouldn't be throwing hits like Martel did, and he should get suspended, but Guddy shouldn't have been pulling that crap either.

I agree, but feel Guddy might have done what he did because it was a scrum, not just Jake and Martel.  That we have lost so many players and he wasn't willing to "wait and see" if Jake became a casuality.  Not by way of Martel, but someone else in there.  

Act now and answer questions later.  Rather than stand by and, possibly, see Jake get attacked (too).

I'm glad Guddy reacted...we often scream when he doesn't.  

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes and no, yes big guys are still capable of getting a concussion, but not as easily as someone who's half their size.

I think our heads are mostly all the same, don't you?  Or are you suggesting that shorter players' heads are closer to taller players' shoulders, so head contact is more likely?  

3 hours ago, Raspberries said:

oh please.  This is the kind of crap we had to deal with in 2011 - that Canucks fans are the worst  on the planet.  Bull.  Take a look at the other fan boards, we are definitely not what some people want to portray us as.

All fan bases in Canada for NHL hockey are similar. They are passionate because they love the game.

Some schmuck on our own board calling us bad fans are the problem (big donkey).

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yikes and they pushed the Canucks around that much? Embarrassing.

So where do the Canucks rank below Seattle...

They really didn't.  Again...last game we beat them.  They snuck this one out.

They didn't push us around (at all).  

Are you even a fan of this team at all?  I question that with statements like this.  

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yikes and they pushed the Canucks around that much? Embarrassing.

So where do the Canucks rank below Seattle...

They pushed around the Canucks? Did we watch the same game? I recall watching Roussel pound Gourde and Jake was about to man handle Martel before the refs got in the way. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I think our heads are mostly all the same, don't you?  Or are you suggesting that shorter players' heads are closer to taller players' shoulders, so head contact is more likely?  

I'm talking about making a hockey hit on someone, a big guy isn't going to get knocked down to the ice from someone half their size and get a concussion like the other guy who's smaller and will probably hit the ice with his head and have a higher chance of getting a head injury.

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes and no, yes big guys are still capable of getting a concussion, but not as easily as someone who's half their size.

Absolutely not true.  Remember the old saying?  The bigger they are, the harder they fall.  It's something to think about.  

I'd actually want to see stats to prove this because I highly doubt there are any.

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm talking about making a hockey hit on someone, a big guy isn't going to get knocked down to the ice from someone half their size and get a concussion like the other guy who's smaller and will probably hit the ice with his head and have a higher chance of getting a head injury.

The concussion isn't from getting knocked down...it's from the impact to the head.  This isn't a "hit on someone"...it's a hit to their head.  

Stech wasn't injured by the ice..it was the collision where his head was prime receiver of the blow.

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well, the little guys, who are stocky don't fall to the ice so easily.  I think the shorter player's head is at a level where head contact is more likely to occur.  I don't see short as being more easily knocked over though.  Stecher is a shorter guy, so (IMO) he is more likely to sustain head contact than Gudbranson, who is very tall.  However, Stecher is a strong lower bodied player, so getting knocked over is not an issue with him.  

13 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Proud of the boys tonight. Especially Guddy, Virt, Boes, Hutty, and Rous. 

Get well soon Stetch! NHL, do the right thing and suspend that POS Martel. 

Well done boys

They were probably embarrassed by their previous lack of protecting team mates. Good to see we won't be pushed around without push back.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

The concussion isn't from getting knocked down...it's from the impact to the head.  This isn't a "hit on someone"...it's a hit to their head.  

Stech wasn't injured by the ice..it was the collision where his head was prime receiver of the blow.

I think Stecher's head was the only point of contact.  It's definitely a suspension. 

Archived