The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

If Stecher is out for long I would prefer Biaga over Del Zotto.  Edler last night showed why he has very little trade value.  Give aways, no control on the blueline on the pp and can't hit the net if his life depended on it.  Finally, to beat a team like Tampa your goalie needs to probably stand on his head.  Last night that didn't happen.  The best part of last night's game was seeing the Canucks come to the aid of their teammates.  If the league wants hits to the head taken out of the game then the penalties have to be severe enough to discourage them.  

1 minute ago, Tyndall2 said:

If Stecher is out for long I would prefer Biaga over Del Zotto.  Edler last night showed why he has very little trade value.  Give aways, no control on the blueline on the pp and can't hit the net if his life depended on it.  Finally, to beat a team like Tampa your goalie needs to probably stand on his head.  Last night that didn't happen.  The best part of last night's game was seeing the Canucks come to the aid of their teammates.  If the league wants hits to the head taken out of the game then the penalties have to be severe enough to discourage them.  

Edler was fantastic, defensively, last night.  PP bobbles aside, no one should be complaining about Eddie

You didn't like Nilsson's game last night.  I'm sure he'd like the SS goal back, but man, he made some huge saves

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Edler was fantastic, defensively, last night.  PP bobbles aside, no one should be complaining about Eddie

You didn't like Nilsson's game last night.  I'm sure he'd like the SS goal back, but man, he made some huge saves

The whole team played really well. I think they were a tad deflated and disappointed that the scumbag Martel was only assessed a minor penalty for interference.

stawns,

Guess we just see the game from different viewpoints.  The fact is that both Edler, after all these years and Nilsson are not consistent in their play.  Yes, a great save or a great check and then a soft goal or give away.  For Pro athletes with their experience they shouldn't be making Junior B moves on the ice. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The whole team played really well. I think they were a tad deflated and disappointed that the scumbag Martel was only assessed a minor penalty for interference.

I agree, but they really knuckled down and focused that negative energy into positive energy on the ice I thought.  

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

teams would try, sure, but this team doesn't quit.  I think you're mistaking fighting as the only metric for a tough team.  This team hits, goes to the corners and doesn't quit when the going gets tough.  To me, that's a much more accurate gauge of toughness than anything to do with fighting

....and as if to underscore this, I looked up some team stats and although I doubt anyone would call the Jets or the Preds "soft", both teams rank behind the Canucks (and the Lightning, for that matter) in hits.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree, but they really knuckled down and focused that negative energy into positive energy on the ice I thought.  

I think so, for sure. They kept up with them until the last couple of minutes of the third, when the Lightning scored the two final goals.

14 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I thought Edler had a good game.  It’s disappointing to miss late, but he was making things happen.  He and Tanev were awesome trying to tie it up.

edit: plus he roughed up Kucherov.  Beauty.

Interesting opinion ... but at least three times Edler failed to keep the puck in at the point, killing the power play. Also, he just can't seem to get the shot through the first shot-blocker or shoots wide to avoid the block. Frustrating to watch ... must be tough on his team mates.

7 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Amazed you found Edlers game to be poor yesterday.

During the game, particularly the 1st period, I was actually admiring Edler, and thought he looked like Edler of old. Hitting hard, winning puck battles and really putting in a shift.

I remember thinking at some stage that his performance was reminiscent of someone fighting for a new contract.

I agree later on, he got tired. 30 min is too much, but guess being down to 5 D-men sort of forced Greens hand with all the PP being handed out to both sides.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's all speculation, but the argument could be made that the Martel hit was a catalyst for the Canucks. At the time, they were down 3-1 and the game could easily have turned into a rout for the Lightning. Instead, the Canucks stood up for each other and got to within a goal. Who knows what might have happened had Virtanen buried that breakaway?

22 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Uh...you watched the game?

Edler played very well. Wow. Such a weird take on his game.

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Amazed you found Edlers game to be poor yesterday.

During the game, particularly the 1st period, I was actually admiring Edler, and thought he looked like Edler of old. Hitting hard, winning puck battles and really putting in a shift.

I remember thinking at some stage that his performance was reminiscent of someone fighting for a new contract.

I agree later on, he got tired. 30 min is too much, but guess being down to 5 D-men sort of forced Greens hand with all the PP being handed out to both sides.

I thought once again last night Edler showed himself to be Vancouver's #1D by a wide margin. As you pointed out his physical game was very tough. It has to be hard as a forward to go up against him. 

I thought hands down Virtanen was the best Canuck last night. He did everything.  

11 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Interesting opinion ... but at least three times Edler failed to keep the puck in at the point, killing the power play. Also, he just can't seem to get the shot through the first shot-blocker or shoots wide to avoid the block. Frustrating to watch ... must be tough on his team mates.

Edler played over 28 minutes. Of course a player cannot be flawless in those types of minutes.

Edler played a strong game. Watch it again (I plan to in a few minutes).

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I said my piece and was over it.

I was proud of Jake going in there and grabbing him, it was being taken care of and Martel was answering the call.

But really, who's the pussy?  The 5'8" trying to stand up for himself while tied up with a much bigger guy or the 6'5" goon who jumps in as a third man to throw shots when he knows there will be no retribution.

If that is what you think being a real man is good on you.

We have seen enough ugly examples of how that ends in our building.

The solution to checks to the head is not punches to the head of someone who is defenseless at the time.

Ok Ghandi 

have you played the game? Have you experienced this type of event other than from your sofa? Thought so 

I have and I am proud of our “goon” as you refer to him 

maybe you should follow curling? 

29 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

The only bad thing I saw Edler do last night was miss the net with the best chance to tie the game late. other than that, i thought he played very well against the number 1 team in the league

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Ok Ghandi 

have you played the game? Have you e experienced this type of enent other than from your sofa? Thought so 

I have amd I am proud of our “goon” as you refer to him 

maybe should follow curling? 

Curling is a great game, if you're a drinker.  :frantic:

12 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Agreed it's a shame when a top paid player on defense who is a veteran of many seasons goes through a game as you rightly stated struggles with very slow, sloppy, bad useless shot attempts and selection and not sharp at all on the powerplay, iced the puck but finally went a game without taking a penalty where he was outplayed and a night where he went through without any huge errors that lead to goals it's now considered a very good game by Edler lol.

This is the Edler we have now and the reason why they'll either trade him or he'll get a spot as a depth defender that plays the penalty kill and not get a lot of money to stick around.

Archived