The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lighting trade Slater Koekkoek, 5th-round pick to Blackhawks for Jan Rutta, 7th-round pick

For the record, I have wondered what it would take to get Koekkoek?

That they had to move him, were to busy sheltering him from waivers. But he was not playing! A clear upgrade on our 8th D, might, would have had a fair shot at playing in Pouliot's 3rd pairing LHD spot.

Schaller & a 7th for Koekkoek and a 5th?  Throw in Del Zotto 50% retained. Take it and go?

Done maestro! :gocan:

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Tampa trades a depth LD for a depth RD

Possibly making room for Alex Edler with Coburn and Cal Foote coming back

Hedman  Girardi
Edler Stralman

McDonagh Cernak 

They could have just traded us Koekkoek and Foote?

Also done like dinner!

Mattias Ohlund would be reference for Alex, Tampa is a good place to go for old Swedish Hockey players.

59 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

For the record, I have wondered what it would take to get Koekkoek?

That they had to move him, were to busy sheltering him from waivers. But he was not playing! A clear upgrade on our 8th D, might, would have had a fair shot at playing in Pouliot's 3rd pairing LHD spot.

Schaller & a 7th for Koekkoek and a 5th?  Throw in Del Zotto 50% retained. Take it and go?

Done maestro! :gocan:

Straight up for Pouliot?  Slater's got all of 1 point all season but is safer than Derrick, who's got 6 points and plays 3 more (probably unwarranted, given his defensive lapses) minutes.

No brainer trade for Chicago to make.

Great move by GM Stan Bowman, you acquire a former 1st round pick stuck on a deep team. Like other moves he has made, your buying extremely low in fact you are actually be gifted a draft pick 2 rounds higher just by taking on an nhl contract when you send an AHL D the other way. If Slater doesn't pan out to finish the year Chicago can not qualify him and walk away in the summer.

This is the exact type of move I would have hoped our GM would make. You take on a young D, give him ice time see what he can do. Oh an you give up a 7th round pick and gain a 5th round pick in the process.

Again, this was a no brainer deal for Bowman to make. Congrats on being the GM to pull this deal off

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

No brainer trade for Chicago to make.

Great move by GM Stan Bowman, you acquire a former 1st round pick stuck on a deep team. Like other moves he has made, your buying extremely low in fact you are actually be gifted a draft pick 2 rounds higher just by taking on an nhl contract when you send an AHL D the other way. If Slater doesn't pan out to finish the year Chicago can not qualify him and walk away in the summer.

This is the exact type of move I would have hoped our GM would make. You take on a young D, give him ice time see what he can do. Oh an you give up a 7th round pick and gain a 5th round pick in the process.

Again, this was a no brainer deal for Bowman to make. Congrats on being the GM to pull this deal off

Koekkoek is 24 (turns 25 in a month) and has played about a full season's worth of games. He's not that young, but still inexperienced at the NHL level. It's a decent move by Bowman, that I can agree with, but Rutta allows Tampa to have depth to call up while Cernak has looked better than Koekkoek and opens up a spot for when JT Miller comes off IR. Tampa opened up space for a young guy that beat out the competition and filled out some depth instead of waiving Koekkoek who may have just been claimed. So with that said, Tampa doesn't look too bad here.

Also this deal is very much like Holm (AHLer) for Leipsic (borderline NHLer) or even Pouliot for Pedan. Or how about Carcone for Leivo? Benning has made trade just like this so I dont see why the heavy praise for Bowman with the knock on Benning.

It's funny because Chicago seems to be making a bunch of moves that the Canucks were making similarly a few years ago and Benning was ridiculed for it.

First Manning and now Ruutta!!!  Bowman must be giving his "Kempney was the missing piece for the Caps" sales pitch hard to GM's this year.

Koekkeok may never pan out in the NHL, that still remains to be seen.  But the guy still has potential to be a solid defenseman and Bowman gave up nothing to get him.  Not only Ruutta is making $2.25 million and can't crack the the top 8 on a bad Hawks team, but Bowman got a higher draft pick too.  

Good work, Stan.  Still need 10 more good trades before anyone forgets about that Seabrook contract though.

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Koekkoek is 24 (turns 25 in a month) and has played about a full season's worth of games. He's not that young, but still inexperienced at the NHL level. It's a decent move by Bowman, that I can agree with, but Rutta allows Tampa to have depth to call up while Cernak has looked better than Koekkoek and opens up a spot for when JT Miller comes off IR. Tampa opened up space for a young guy that beat out the competition and filled out some depth instead of waiving Koekkoek who may have just been claimed. So with that said, Tampa doesn't look too bad here.

Also this deal is very much like Holm (AHLer) for Leipsic (borderline NHLer) or even Pouliot for Pedan. Or how about Carcone for Leivo? Benning has made trade just like this so I dont see why the heavy praise for Bowman with the knock on Benning.

It's funny because Chicago seems to be making a bunch of moves that the Canucks were making similarly a few years ago and Benning was ridiculed for it.

I guess, to me it just seems like a move we should have made. Koekoek has to at worst be on par with Pouliot. The Pouliot experience is over with us, he has had his chances and isnt cutting it. Why not take a flyer on another former high 1st round D that would have cost you half as much as the Pouliot deal you made 2 seasons ago?

52 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I guess, to me it just seems like a move we should have made. Koekoek has to at worst be on par with Pouliot. The Pouliot experience is over with us, he has had his chances and isnt cutting it. Why not take a flyer on another former high 1st round D that would have cost you half as much as the Pouliot deal you made 2 seasons ago?

When we acquired Pouliot at 22-23 years of age, he had much more potential than Koekkoek does now who's 25 in a month. So maybe Pouliot hasn't worked out, but he cost very little and was worth a shot. I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken a look at Koekkoek, but the fact that you're praising Bowman for moves that Benning has made similarly that were ridiculed. Benning can trade for every low cost project. And besides, we may have Hughes by the end of the season and Juolevi may get a look next year, so I'm not overly concerned about replacing a bottom pairing LD this year anyway. We held on to Hutton when many were calling him to be dumped last season and he's improved himself, so maybe Pouliot, who's still relatively young, still can improve. Although I think his time is running out with the aforementioned prospects likely getting a shot soon and therefore there probably isn't time or space for a Koekkoek project anyway.

a 3rd round pick is a lot different than a 7th round pick and an overpaid player in the AHL. No GM makes all the right moves, I personally think JB would be better off as the President and involved in scouting and us have a different GM. I dont believe JB will put together the right team to win a Cup.

Sorry for sounding negative about JB I just don't see us adding the right players to fit our team going forward to be considered heavy cup contenders...its not an easy task to do that I understand that

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

a 3rd round pick is a lot different than a 7th round pick and an overpaid player in the AHL. No GM makes all the right moves, I personally think JB would be better off as the President and involved in scouting and us have a different GM. I dont believe JB will put together the right team to win a Cup.

Sorry for sounding negative about JB I just don't see us adding the right players to fit our team going forward to be considered heavy cup contenders...its not an easy task to do that I understand that

Not sure if you're saying that Pouliot cost us a 3rd round pick !..........it was Pedan ( AHL ) + 4th round pick. TB gave up a 5th round pick ( + Koekoek ) and got a 7th round pick + an AHLer who fits their playoff 'depth' needs fairly well. Being overpaid was/ is irrelevant ! It's a trade totally geared for the playoffs !

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

What about Sergachev?

Yes not showing Sergachev future star D man..

Would be exciting to see return for Edler....Tampa should be trying hard for Edler as window to win cup does

not last long..

Coburn, Foote would be a good return..I watched Foote a lot in WHL very big mobile D man...

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I don't know how not acquiring Koekkoek can be spun as Benning not adding the right players to be a heavy cup contender unless you think Koekkoek is that good of a core player long term. Koekkoek is a project player that was bought cheap and Benning has done that several times. So I'm not sure what he's doing differently than Bowman based on this trade that makes Bowman superior.

Benning has found positive value in most of his trades and until we build the depth to make the bigger deals, we won't see any major big names being moved as we are still in the rebuild process. Benning has brought in the majority of the young core through his drafting and being the GM gives him the final call on the decision on who gets drafted in which another GM may not make. For example, Brackett was suggesting to pick a goalie in the 3rd round last year and Benning made the final call to pick Madden, so another GM in place may have followed Brackett's advice (who generally gives good advice), but we would've lost out on Madden and he would've fallen into Chicago's lap and then Bowman will once again get that praise.

We don't know if Benning will help build a cup contender just yet, but we certainly have a better foundation to be one today than we were when he was first hired.

Koekkoek is regarded as a fringe player simply because cooper didn't like him and basically refused to play him.  Tampa fans loved this kid and what he brought when he was given a chance.  I have watched him quite a lot seeing Tampa is my sons favorite team and I think the kid can really play and be a solid 3 or 4 right now.  Never understood why he wasn't given a chance there.  (other Tampa fans feel the same as it became quite the message board joke why he didn't get a chance).  I love that he is in a new situation where he will be given a chance but I was hoping Benning would get him not Bowman..  

3 hours ago, cocanuck said:

Koekkoek is regarded as a fringe player simply because cooper didn't like him and basically refused to play him.  Tampa fans loved this kid and what he brought when he was given a chance.  I have watched him quite a lot seeing Tampa is my sons favorite team and I think the kid can really play and be a solid 3 or 4 right now.  Never understood why he wasn't given a chance there.  (other Tampa fans feel the same as it became quite the message board joke why he didn't get a chance).  I love that he is in a new situation where he will be given a chance but I was hoping Benning would get him not Bowman..  

Sometimes players look better than they are in smaller samples, but a longer run could expose them more. For example, Biega looks good in most of the games he draws in with high energy (and most Canuck fans appreciate what he brings when he draws into the lineup), but it's unlikely he can sustain his play in as a full season regular and without that bulldog style of play, he's much less effective. I'd be surprised that if he's as good as a 3-4 dman now that they didn't simply play him to trade him for better value then given there if there was trouble between the coach and player.

We will see soon enough if a new team and coach will change his fortunes though. He was a former top 10 pick, so there may be some potential there, but so was Pouliot and we can see how that has played out so far.

Archived