The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 16, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Well, you don't like not getting two points, but I thought it was a pretty good hockey game. Both teams battling out, ends 2-2, lose in the shootout after five shooters... Probably fitting. It was a good game. Hate to lose in the shootout but that's part of it." - Green

In other words Gary, get the &@#%ing shootout out of the game already. An Individual skill competition should NOT decide games!

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

one of the worst shootout attempts by Vancouver I've ever seen.

Markstrom was incredible tonight.

2 hours ago, Mustapha said:

I am assuming Boeser is banged up, he looks really uncomfortable out there.

2 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Very entertaining game, managed another point with EP. Marky has really impressed me lately, playing like a legit #1! Oilers suck they still needed a shootout to beat us without Petey. 

Disappointing to lose in the shootout but there were a lot of positives tonight.

1. Markstrom was very good again. If he can keep this quality of playing going a bit longer, maybe we can say it is the new normal instead of just another hot streak. He should have been one of the stars.

2. Sutter has one of his best games as a Canuck. He scored a nice goal and did a great job against McDavid.  Virtanen was also good defensively and he set a nice screen on the Sutter goal. In fact, I think the puck ticked off Virtanen and I was hoping he would get credit for the goal. Eriksson was also good defensively. The Beagle line was also good when they were out against McDavid. Granlund also had a very good game.

3. Pouliot has quietly really improved his game. Early in the game he was playing conservatively, which i think is good. But later in the game he made some good pinches and was getting into the play in the offensive zone. Most importantly, he was making good decisions and I never saw him get caught out of position. Generally, the new D pairings are looking good. The Edmonton goals were on the PK and the PP. The Canuck defenders were pretty good 5-on-5.

4. I am not sure if this is a positive or negative. Horvat was buzzing all over the ice tonight but nothing went in. I am not sure if he was just unlucky or if he is "sqeezing the stick". But he had a lot of good looks and I think the puck will start going in for him soon. And he had a great final shift in OT-blocking shots and making big defensive plays as well as coming close to ending the game in close..

While I think the game was positive overall, there some hiccups, as in normal.

5. Boeser seems to be struggling, and he described the game as a "grind". His missed a number of shot attempts (including in the shootout) and also mishandled the puck a few times. And he just looked frustrated. I think he has been fighting nagging injuries, including his wrist. He is still a good player but it would nice to see him at 100%.

6. I did not like Leivo on the first unit PP. A lot of promising set-ups died when the puck got on his stick. The PP will be much better with EP on the first unit instead of Lievo. (I realize that is not a great insight, but I think the PP will be very good once EP comes back.)

The biggest thing was that the team played with a lot of emotion and intensity with every guy trying hard.  I am sure Green was happy with the effort and if the team plays like this it should continue to improve going forward -- especially next year with Hughes in the fold. (And Dahlen had two goals tonight for Utica and Gaudette had a goal and an assist. I expect to see those guys on the team next year.)

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Disappointing to lose in the shootout but there were a lot of positives tonight.

1. Markstrom was very good again. If he can keep this quality of playing going a bit longer, maybe we can say it is the new normal instead of just another hot streak. He should have been one of the stars.

2. Sutter has one of his best games as a Canuck. He scored a nice goal and did a great job against McDavid.  Virtanen was also good defensively and he set a nice screen on the Sutter goal. In fact, I think the puck ticked off Virtanen and I was hoping he would get credit for the goal. Eriksson was also good defensively.

3. Pouliot has quietly really improved his game. Early in the game he was playing conservatively, which i think is good. But later in the game he made some good pinches and was getting into the play in the offensive zone. Most importantly, he was making good decisions and I never saw him get caught out of position. Generally, the new D pairings are looking good. The Edmonton goals were on the PK and the PP. The Canuck defenders were pretty good 5-on-5.

4. I am not sure if this is a positive or negative. Horvat was buzzing all over the ice tonight but nothing went in. I am not sure if he was just unlucky or if he is "sqeezing the stick". But he had a lot of good looks and I think the puck will start going in for him soon. And he had a great final shift in OT-blocking shots and making big defensive plays as well as coming close to ending the game in close..

While I think the game was positive overall, there some hiccups, as in normal.

5. Boeser seems to be struggling, and he described the game as a "grind". His missed a number of shot attempts (including in the shootout) and also mishandled the puck a few times. And he just looked frustrated. I think he has been fighting nagging injuries, including his wrist. He is still a good player but it would nice to see him at 100%.

6. I did not like Leivo on the first unit PP. A lot of promising set-ups died when the puck got on his stick. The PP will be much better with EP on the first unit instead of Lievo. (I realize that is not a great insight, but I think the PP will be very good once EP comes back.)

The biggest thing was that the team played with a lot of emotion and intensity with every guy trying hard.  I am sure Green was happy with the effort and if the team plays like this it should continue to improve going forward -- especially next year with Hughes in the fold. (And Dahlen had two goals tonight for Utica and Gaudette had a goal and an assist. I expect to see those guys on the team next year.)

He has what I would consider a serious tape/bandage job for a guy in the lineup.....

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Really wish they'd do 10 mins of OT instead of a shootout. 

We probably would of still lost. Horvat and Boeser are both in their slumps which is unfortunate. When players are slumping, everything is off with them. Puck will skip over their sticks or they will whiff on a shot or a goalie will rob them point blank etc. They are the most likely players to win it for us in OT without EP. With both of them slumping, we are not likely to score on the chances they have and McDavid is bound to score for them in a 3 on 3 situation.

Got stuck with the Oiler feed.  Principe sounded like he was off his meds before the game started, and their play by play guy could get a good job doing audiobooks for insomniacs.  Holy cow that guy is boooooring.

He also kept calling the Oiler goalie Markstrom. D'oh!

41 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Goldy’s Hand in the shootout would have been handy ..... just sayin 

40 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Ya but when he is out there he might have taken more hooking/slashing penalties or fail to back check and result in a 3-2 regulation loss instead.

40 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

After last games effort he deserved to sit. 

37 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But he wouldn't have hustled and forechecked as Schaller did on Granny's  goal

Thought I would weigh in on the Goldy debate.

First, I think sitting him was the right call. And, after the effort the Canucks put in tonight I would be inclined to sit him again in the next game if EP is healthy. With EP in, Schaller comes out. There is no other forward I would take out for Goldy right now.

Tonight's game was a good team effort. Some guys are struggling a bit but still playing hard (like Boeser). Putting a guy like Goldy in who makes a lot of lazy plays really undercuts the team mentality that Green wants. Goldy will get another shot before long, but I don't know how many more chances he will get.

I recently heard an interview (unfortunately I forget where) regarding the rumour that the Canucks were looking for a potential Goldy trade. The claim was that there was very little interest. (Of course we know that Benning talks to all the other GMs on a regular basis and various names come up. So this is not a big deal, but it is interesting.) On the surface it seems weird that a guy who is scoring at a solid top 6 level (better than 0.5 PPG), has a cap hit of less than a million, and is an RFA would not generate interest. However, a disproportionate share of his points are second assists and a disproportionate share come with EP on the ice. His defensive game is "inconsistent", and that is being charitable, and he contributes nothing to the physical game.

Also, after the Arizona game, I was interested to hear Green say that he put Baertschi on the Horvat line instead of Goldy halfway through the game because Baertschi gets in on the forecheck faster. I know Baertschi is an excellent skater, but I thought Goldy was pretty good also. But apparently he is not contributing much to the speed game either.

Bottom line: Goldy needs to come on like gangbusters next time he is in the lineup.

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Thought I would weigh in on the Goldy debate.

First, I think sitting him was the right call. And, after the effort the Canucks put in tonight I would be inclined to sit him again in the next game if EP is healthy. With EP in, Schaller comes out. There is no other forward I would take out for Goldy right now.

Tonight's game was a good team effort. Some guys are struggling a bit but still playing hard (like Boeser). Putting a guy like Goldy in who makes a lot of lazy plays really undercuts the team mentality that Green wants. Goldy will get another shot before long, but I don't know how many more chances he will get.

I recently heard an interview (unfortunately I forget where) regarding the rumour that the Canucks were looking for a potential Goldy trade. The claim was that there was very little interest. (Of course we know that Benning talks to all the other GMs on a regular basis and various names come up. So this is not a big deal, but it is interesting.) On the surface it seems weird that a guy who is scoring at a solid top 6 level (better than 0.5 PPG), has a cap hit of less than a million, and is an RFA would not generate interest. However, a disproportionate share of his points are second assists and a disproportionate share come with EP on the ice. His defensive game is "inconsistent", and that is being charitable, and he contributes nothing to the physical game.

Also, after the Arizona game, I was interested to hear Green say that he put Baertschi on the Horvat line instead of Goldy halfway through the game because Baertschi gets in on the forecheck faster. I know Baertschi is an excellent skater, but I thought Goldy was pretty good also. But apparently he is not contributing much to the speed game either.

Bottom line: Goldy needs to come on like gangbusters next time he is in the lineup.

This, he really is running out of chances imo

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Got stuck with the Oiler feed.  Principe sounded like he was off his meds before the game started, and their play by play guy could get a good job doing audiobooks for insomniacs.  Holy cow that guy is boooooring.

He also kept calling the Oiler goalie Markstrom. D'oh!

Principe rocks his perm game like a boss.

Went to the game tonight:

Few notes

1) This felt like a playoff atmosphere in the rink.  People taunting McDavid, taunting Oiler fans, and even getting into the spirit of team chants.  Tonight was fun despite the loss.  And despite it being such a close checking game, every second felt tense as you knew the first to blink would likely lose.  That added to the tension and that hope the Canucks would score.

2) Bo is snake bitten bad.  He had so many chances to score and it just wouldn't go in.  I feel once he gets one, the flood gates will come.  Got scared at the end as he looked like he is labouring after that nasty Kassian hit. 

3) Didn't like Boeser's body language tonight.  Too many times in the defensive zone he was caught watching the play and being reactive rather than be proactive.  He often pointed for Bo or Baertschi to go retrieve the puck but he was literally 2 strides from getting it.  He also played far too much to the perimeter in the o-zone.  Not sure if he is still nursing a nagging injury, or isn't used to retrieving pucks since Petey usually gets it right to him, but he looked very disinterested.  Lots of fans weren't happy as we pleaded him to move his feet.  Rough season for Brock, needs some lucky bounces to go his way but he also needs to pick up his own feet.  When you aren't getting the bounces, you gotta move your feet and start going back to the basics.  He started to look better in the second half of the game, but the first half he looked pretty lackadaisical in his work ethic. 

4) that first unit powerplay was dreadful.  Leivo doing a lot of inadvertent passes, Boeser having shots blocked, and Edler fumbling it he had buttered his entire stick with margarine.  Petey's presence is sorely missed.

Archived