The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli

33 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Surprised to hear Keith Gretzky's name so high up in the Oiler organization.  Then, I heard on the radio Keith was part of the scouting staff in Boston, and has worked hard on the scouting/management side of the game for a long time now.  Maybe, they should hire him? 

1 minute ago, 40Dangles said:

They aren’t making major moves w an interim gm, they will tinker. These trades help both sides and aren’t going to tilt the scales materially but help both sides in their needs.  They aren’t trading Poolparty in their division, but if they can improve their team by giving up late picks and we improve our long term chances w little cost it makes sense on both sides.

makes logical sense, but i think the optics of a divisional trade right now are not good in Edmonton. I could see them making similar moves with a team out east tho. 

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Chia seeing the writing on the wall and left with a boom

Image result for boom gif

Didn't we (kind of) get Luongo this way.  I remember Keenan trading Bobby Lou to us, and then getting fired a short while after.  If an owner is considering firing his GM, maybe it would be a good idea to not allow that - lame duck - GM to sign any contracts or make any trades?  

I love the part where bob Nicholson said I think we are more skilled/deep then on day 1. :lol:

Sure Bob.. whatever you got to tell yourself. Edmonton us either going to get fleeced again or they're going to fail to make any impactful moves.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

makes logical sense, but i think the optics of a divisional trade right now are not good in Edmonton. I could see them making similar moves with a team out east tho. 

Maybe they need toughness, that can actually skate, think, and play the game?  How about a trade like:  Draisatl + Lucic for Ferland (extension in place, of course)?

Just now, Rush17 said:

Chia must have been the point man. Lol

Keith Gretzky let's go! Go get em trader Jim.

Is Draisatl worth a top five pick?

The Oilers should trade Draisatl now (for a first and more) to a team that is going to finish at or near the bottom.  LA?

Then they should just tank.

They would have (likely) two top 5 picks in the coming draft.  They could take that Kakko kid, and the top D man.  

Moving draisatl is probably their best and only move. Unless they buyout some guys and dump salary. Add 3 quality UFAs this team could be pretty good. Add a top 4 D + 2 top 6 forwards your good.

Silverberg + forward + D

They need to fix their cap issues because it makes any changes near impossible.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Draisatl worth a top five pick?

The Oilers should trade Draisatl now (for a first and more) to a team that is going to finish at or near the bottom.  LA?

Then they should just tank.

They would have (likely) two top 5 picks in the coming draft.  They could take that Kakko kid, and the top D man.  

They are not giving up on the playoffs this year and entering a re-build again...........they would lose half their fan base. They might trade Draisaitl but I really doubt they would be looking for anything other than NHL ready players.

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They are not giving up on the playoffs this year and entering a re-build again...........they would lose half their fan base. They might trade Draisaitl but I really doubt they would be looking for anything other than NHL ready players.

Draisatl for Doughty?  Is that fair?  The Oilers need a stud on D, and the Kings need young talent.  

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

John Shannon‏Verified account @JSportsnet 29m29 minutes ago

The search for a new GM in Edmonton begins immediately. Expect to hear names like Gillis, Hunter, McCrimmon, Futa and Hextall on the list.

Garth Snow job....

regards,  G.             

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Surprised to hear Keith Gretzky's name so high up in the Oiler organization.  Then, I heard on the radio Keith was part of the scouting staff in Boston, and has worked hard on the scouting/management side of the game for a long time now.  Maybe, they should hire him? 

The same scouting department that told Sweeney to pick Zboril, DeBrusk and Shenyshen. The DeBrusk pick was OK but they had a boatload of talent to choose from and went with Zboril and Shenyshyn. 

31 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

L.A. would have to retain a lot of salary as Edmonton can't take on that contract. They would need to trade Draisaitl for young cheaper players IMO.

13 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

sure pick an elite player with a nmc

um? he'd waive it to go to the coilers

you are just spitballing there alf

Yes, I'm just throwing ideas out there.  However, LD makes a lot on the Cap doesn't he?  The Kings are clearly in tank mode, and the Oilers want to win now. I think this would be a good trade for both teams.  The Kings could get a young future star forward, while the Oilers get a stud D man for the now. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I'm just throwing ideas out there.  However, LD makes a lot on the Cap doesn't he?  The Kings are clearly in tank mode, and the Oilers want to win now. I think this would be a good trade for both teams.  The Kings could get a young future star forward, while the Oilers get a stud D man for the now. 

that provides zero information

about why ld would waive his nmc?

who cares what might help either team

ld will not leave the la area for deadmonton

and you have also provided no info how the oilers can fit his contract into their salary cap hell

they are already over the cap and sekera will be coming off the ltir

they have to knock 2 million off their present payroll

Archived