The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli

13 hours ago, kacholu said:

Nothing will change until the top management is completely gone. They need to clean house at the management level. 

And they need a good scouting department.  The 1st round pick they traded for Griffin Reinhart ended up being Barzal.  Boeser would have been available for that pick too.  Absolutely the worst move ever made.  A good scouting department that had to stamp their feet and threaten to quit, lol.  Such a deep draft and they traded away a 1st round pick for a player that hadn't proved he could even play in the NHL.  Arguably, this was as stupid as the Larsson/Hall trade, which we all knew at the time was unbelievably stupid.  E.g., would you trade a slightly faster version of Boeser for the 3rd or 4th D on the Flames... or the Predators for that matter?  Should have been fired after the Hall trade. Or overruled, or...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

so Doughty won't waive.  I wonder about that.  He's a Canadian kid, who might like the Canadian market.

I mean, he’s 29 years old, so not a kid anymore. He’s been living in LA for 10 years now, and is recently married. So he’s definitely built a life out there.

I’m thinking even for myself. If I had made tens of millions of dollars over the last decade and just signed an $88M extension, would I rather live in LA, which is a hop, skip, and a jump away from pretty much everything, flight wise. Or this:

92A8D963-76DE-4C6F-9DF4-8E728722DA27.jpeg

5 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

This is why I don't want the Canucks to fast-track their way to the playoffs just because they are sitting in a wild card spot. Just stay the course and let the building blocks through the draft make their way in due time. All Stanley Cup contenders are built this way. Trades should be made from strength but with proper pro scouting. Free agents should be low priced veterans to help mentor the kids and be the missing piece in the puzzle while the main core and supporting cast are fully ready to compete for the Cup.

As for Chiarelli, he has now been fired by two organizations. McDavid was supposed to be his main building block. When Chiarelli was fired by the Bruins, it mainly due to salary cap mismanagement. It wouldn't surprise me that Katz is a meddling owner but it appears that Chiarelli is overrated. For the sake of Seattle's franchise, I wouldn't add Chiarelli's name to their GM search list.

Chiarelli's name will live on the way the Toronto GM did that worked for Ballard. (Gord Stellick. )  No way does Chiarelli ever work as a GM again.  People won't even use him as a commentator after this - unlike Stellick.  I hope he saved his money. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

What could go wrong...

Oilers need a couple miracle trades or draft picks to turn out pronto, or they are going to be back in the lottery for 3-4+ years, maybe longer.  Their assets have been so depleted they don't have much to work with, and they absolutely cannot trade away picks at this point. 

Depends what Katz wants, but they MUST seriously look at blowing it up, retaining McDavid and maybe a couple others.  If he hires someone to just tweak things up around the same core, then he's the problem, but all signs point to that entire management structure.  Yes Chia made the final decisions, but unless he was going against the recommendations of his pro scouts they have to be accountable for those terrible trades.

Honestly, they should not panic.

They're 2 or 4 points out of the play off's. Their best D, Klefbom has been injured for 20 games. And it wont be a horrible problem in the big picture, if they miss the play off's?

Their first move should be to hire a new GM for their AHL squad. And a great development coach, again for Bakersfield. Send Yamamoto and Pool party there for a play off run. Not worry about rushing NHL results. Get some of their kids in shape, flying and having fun playing hockey!

I did not like Hitchcock being hired. Its been 20 years since he did anything significant. But at least he demands guys play hard. It could be worse?

Play hard, get your top D back, and let the chips fall where they do. 

This summer, buy out Lucic. Get some speed!  

Literally with every move I can think of with Chiarelli? The team got slower. Reversing that trend is the first call of business.

Somebody has to keep up with McDavid. They still have RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, McDavid. Just some speed and puck pressure. A PMD if its possible.

21 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Chiarelli's name will live on the way the Toronto GM did that worked for Ballard. (Gord Stellick. )  No way does Chiarelli ever work as a GM again.  People won't even use him as a commentator after this - unlike Stellick.  I hope he saved his money. 

Craig Button has a job, haha. Although he wasn't nearly as bad as Chiarelli.

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honestly, they should not panic.

They're 2 or 4 points out of the play off's. Their best D, Klefbom has been injured for 20 games. And it wont be a horrible problem in the big picture, if they miss the play off's?

Their first move should be to hire a new GM for their AHL squad. And a great development coach, again for Bakersfield. Send Yamamoto and Pool party there for a play off run. Not worry about rushing NHL results. Get some of their kids in shape, flying and having fun playing hockey!

I did not like Hitchcock being hired. Its been 20 years since he did anything significant. But at least he demands guys play hard. It could be worse?

Play hard, get your top D back, and let the chips fall where they do. 

This summer, buy out Lucic. Get some speed!  

Literally with every move I can think of with Chiarelli? The team got slower. Reversing that trend is the first call of business.

Somebody has to keep up with McDavid. They still have RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, McDavid. Just some speed and puck pressure. A PMD if its possible.

Lucic can not be bought out. If they did it this coming up offseason they would save 2.3 million in salary for the next season, 250,000 in salary next after season, 750,000 the season after then 250,000 again. Buying him out does nothing for the cap beyond the 2019-20 season.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

And they need a good scouting department.  The 1st round pick they traded for Griffin Reinhart ended up being Barzal.  Boeser would have been available for that pick too.  Absolutely the worst move ever made.  A good scouting department that had to stamp their feet and threaten to quit, lol.  Such a deep draft and they traded away a 1st round pick for a player that hadn't proved he could even play in the NHL.  Arguably, this was as stupid as the Larsson/Hall trade, which we all knew at the time was unbelievably stupid.  E.g., would you trade a slightly faster version of Boeser for the 3rd or 4th D on the Flames... or the Predators for that matter?  Should have been fired after the Hall trade. Or overruled, or...

I couldn't agree more! I don't even know where to begin with how bad that trade was. 

-Barzal was a top 10 that fell on their lap. 

-Reinhart was already bust in NY. So why are you even touching him for anything more then 3rd rounder? 

-He also gives up a 2nd round pick in that deal 

JB also has this stupid idea of getting a 'developed' prospect from other teams. Must have been a Boston philosophy. What makes you think any team would give up a good prospect for picks if they thought the player wasn't a bust. 

I'm just glad canucks didn't hire him 

12 minutes ago, kacholu said:

I couldn't agree more! I don't even know where to begin with how bad that trade was. 

-Reinhart was already bust in NY. So why are you even touching him for anything more then 3rd rounder? 

JB also has this stupid idea of getting a 'developed' prospect from other teams. Must have been a Boston philosophy. What makes you think any team would give up a good prospect for picks if they thought the player wasn't a bust. 

I'd say it's worked out well for JB, considering he didn't give up much for a Baer, Granny, Leivo etc

52 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Craig Button has a job, haha. Although he wasn't nearly as bad as Chiarelli.

Oh, I forgot about him.  He wasn't great either, you're right.  Not as bad a record as Chiarelli, you're right about that too (just looked him up.)

23 minutes ago, kacholu said:

Totally agree.  It's like us trying now to offload a bustaroo.  The earlier a GM can make a decision on whether a drafted player will be of use (especially the first round picks) the more he gets in return.  Teams make mistakes the other way too, though.  We gave up on Cam Neely.   

17 minutes ago, kacholu said:

You're right about JB believing in re-treaded prospects: not a great idea.  Here we fret about giving up 2nd round picks for these re-treads.  Can you imagine giving up a 1st round pick?  We'd have freaked here.   The fan base matters: we not only buy tickets/merchandise, we also yap like mad.  With the emphasis on youth (talent and money sides both) it is kind of crazy to assume that a flagging prospect somewhere else will suddenly blossom if moved to our team.  Goalies are the only exception I can think of... oh yeah, just remembered Edm dumping Dubnyk, too, lol. 

You're on to something about Boston's philosophy: they won a cup (against us of course) and thought they must have been geniuses.  So, everything they do and everyone who played there is great, in their opinion at least.  The mistake is when other teams believe it too. (Chiarelli, Lucic, etc.)   

When you think of it, we were lucky that Benning wasn't a bust too.  I guess their scouting was pretty good, assuming Benning was a key part of that.

Archived