The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli

It's strange that people think that they traded Barzal for Reinhart. They traded the chance to draft Barzal but there was no telling what that management group would have done with that pick. Barzal was plummeting in that draft too and there were questions about him. It's only in hindsight that it was a good pick - like any draft pick.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry Edmonton it's too late.  You are in cap purgatory, you have no defence and no goaltending, no secondary scoring, you have some of the worst contracts in the league (Milan Lucic), and your City sucks.  Plus your uniforms are kinda ugly as well.  You will need at least 5-7 years for a proper rebuild and at least 4 first overall picks to be competitive again.  And one of those first overall picks must be a generational talent...

Edmonton Oiler fans: "Things can't get any worse can they?"

Craig McTavish: "Hold my beer"

#TankForJackHugues #TankForAlexisLafrenière

9 hours ago, Monty said:

3 years too late.

Although, Koskinen must be really happy this didn’t happen 3 days ago.

if the oiler brass knew they were this close to firing chiapet

why would they tie the hands of the next gm

by allowing chiapet to extend koskinen

completely stupid planning by the oilers

but i really think the oilers do very little meaningful planning

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

if the oiler brass knew they were this close to firing chiapet

why would they tie the hands of the next gm

by allowing chiapet to extend koskinen

completely stupid planning by the oilers

but i really think the oilers do very little meaningful planning

I’m pretty sure this is their planning manual

13F2D5C0-D53D-4AE9-9207-4DD025808CFA.jpeg

8 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Nothing will change for the soilers until the old boys club is completely gone and the owner lets go of the 80s.

So Keith Gretzky now at the helm?  What could go wrong...

Oilers need a couple miracle trades or draft picks to turn out pronto, or they are going to be back in the lottery for 3-4+ years, maybe longer.  Their assets have been so depleted they don't have much to work with, and they absolutely cannot trade away picks at this point. 

Depends what Katz wants, but they MUST seriously look at blowing it up, retaining McDavid and maybe a couple others.  If he hires someone to just tweak things up around the same core, then he's the problem, but all signs point to that entire management structure.  Yes Chia made the final decisions, but unless he was going against the recommendations of his pro scouts they have to be accountable for those terrible trades.

Why do I feel sad about this? Chia provided so much entertainment for Canucks fans.

I think McDavid might've wanted out down the road if Chia stayed for the foreseeable future, but now that he's gone, they might actually get someone who knows what they're doing.  

Archived