The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli

1 hour ago, kacholu said:

I couldn't agree more! I don't even know where to begin with how bad that trade was. 

-Barzal was a top 10 that fell on their lap. 

-Reinhart was already bust in NY. So why are you even touching him for anything more then 3rd rounder? 

-He also gives up a 2nd round pick in that deal 

JB also has this stupid idea of getting a 'developed' prospect from other teams. Must have been a Boston philosophy. What makes you think any team would give up a good prospect for picks if they thought the player wasn't a bust. 

I'm just glad canucks didn't hire him 

Yes, the ceiling may be lower but nothing JB has given up has been unforgivable.  Baertschi, Granlund, and Gudbranson are all playing roles on this team and fill important organizational depth.  Without Baertschi maybe the Canucks rush Boeser and he's not the same player?  Yeah, some like Pedan and Clendenning didn't work out at all but neither do all draft picks.  Not to say that getting 'developed' prospects is the answer but it's good to be open to get players in many ways.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, the ceiling may be lower but nothing JB has given up has been unforgivable.  Baertschi, Granlund, and Gudbranson are all playing roles on this team and fill important organizational depth.  Without Baertschi maybe the Canucks rush Boeser and he's not the same player?  Yeah, some like Pedan and Clendenning didn't work out at all but neither do all draft picks.  Not to say that getting 'developed' prospects is the answer but it's good to be open to get players in many ways.

Nothing against Baertschi, Granny etc but you get average players in return. I'm fine giving up on other prospects that we identified as busts but I would much rather keep those draft picks. 

So we gave away two second round picks for Baertschi and Vey. Given our scouting team would you rather not give them a chance to hit a home run there? 

Chances of us drafting a top notch player at the draft (especially in 2nd round) are MUCH MUCH higher then getting an okay player in return. 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honestly, they should not panic.

They're 2 or 4 points out of the play off's. Their best D, Klefbom has been injured for 20 games. And it wont be a horrible problem in the big picture, if they miss the play off's?

Their first move should be to hire a new GM for their AHL squad. And a great development coach, again for Bakersfield. Send Yamamoto and Pool party there for a play off run. Not worry about rushing NHL results. Get some of their kids in shape, flying and having fun playing hockey!

I did not like Hitchcock being hired. Its been 20 years since he did anything significant. But at least he demands guys play hard. It could be worse?

Play hard, get your top D back, and let the chips fall where they do. 

This summer, buy out Lucic. Get some speed!  

Literally with every move I can think of with Chiarelli? The team got slower. Reversing that trend is the first call of business.

Somebody has to keep up with McDavid. They still have RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, McDavid. Just some speed and puck pressure. A PMD if its possible.

The problem is they may only be 3 points out but the other teams have games in hand and now they are stuck riding Koskinen thanks to signing him now and throwing Talbot under the bus. Chiarelli should have been fired when McLellan was - I think its too late for this year unless they move their 1st rnd pick and a decent prospect or 2 for help. Plus they will need a back up goalie to spell off Koskinen who has not stolen a game for them in a long time.

1 hour ago, kacholu said:

Nothing against Baertschi, Granny etc but you get average players in return. I'm fine giving up on other prospects that we identified as busts but I would much rather keep those draft picks. 

So we gave away two second round picks for Baertschi and Vey. Given our scouting team would you rather not give them a chance to hit a home run there? 

Chances of us drafting a top notch player at the draft (especially in 2nd round) are MUCH MUCH higher then getting an okay player in return. 

And then you gift the roster spot to the draft picks before they're ready.  See the Oilers as an example of what happens when you do that.  Everyone has to earn their spots here, which is much better for development.  Benning's not giving away picks for more established youth now because he doesn't have to.

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And then you gift the roster spot to the draft picks before they're ready.  See the Oilers as an example of what happens when you do that.  Everyone has to earn their spots here, which is much better for development.  Benning's not giving away picks for more established youth now because he doesn't have to.

You don't give away roster spots to the draft picks until they are ready. You let them earn it. That is a completely different topic.

I think my point went over your head. I'm talking about how your chances of drafting top notch players in the second round is much higher then you 'stealing' a developed blue chip prospect from other teams. Yet you are talking about rushing prospects into the line up. Apple and oranges my friend. Apples and oranges. 

19 minutes ago, kacholu said:

You don't give away roster spots to the draft picks until they are ready. You let them earn it. That is a completely different topic.

I think my point went over your head. I'm talking about how your chances of drafting top notch players in the second round is much higher then you 'stealing' a developed blue chip prospect from other teams. Yet you are talking about rushing prospects into the line up. Apple and oranges my friend. Apples and oranges. 

The guys we traded for such as Baertschi and Vey were brought in because we needed guys who could play right away and buy some time for the kids.  Brackett wasn't even in charge of our scouting department when these deals were made, so the chances of a home run were lower at the time anyway.  Notice these kind of trades aren't happening anymore?   Benning plugged the holes that needed to be filled and then changed his strategy based on our improved scouting, which was a result of him promoting Brackett.

I would be disappointed if these kind of deals were still happening, but we have moved on and the moves that were made have served their purpose.

4 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

The problem is they may only be 3 points out but the other teams have games in hand and now they are stuck riding Koskinen thanks to signing him now and throwing Talbot under the bus. Chiarelli should have been fired when McLellan was - I think its too late for this year unless they move their 1st rnd pick and a decent prospect or 2 for help. Plus they will need a back up goalie to spell off Koskinen who has not stolen a game for them in a long time.

I don’t advocate they try and trade anything to buy their way into post season play.

Just like I don’t advocate us being buyers. Not selling? No problem who’s we remain close?

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The guys we traded for such as Baertschi and Vey were brought in because we needed guys who could play right away and buy some time for the kids.  Brackett wasn't even in charge of our scouting department when these deals were made, so the chances of a home run were lower at the time anyway.  Notice these kind of trades aren't happening anymore?   Benning plugged the holes that needed to be filled and then changed his strategy based on our improved scouting, which was a result of him promoting Brackett.

I would be disappointed if these kind of deals were still happening, but we have moved on and the moves that were made have served their purpose.

These kinds of trades are not happening anymore because he has learner from his mistakes. 

There is always free agency for a short term deal you can plug in the line up if you are waiting for the kids. Also, to use your own argument of we didn't have the ideal scouting team in place back then.......well we didn't really have a deep prospect pool either. So the concern of waiting for the kids at that time does not have merit. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:16 AM, Fan since 82 said:

So who put together the 2011 Boston team?  I know there was a lot of controversy around that whole series (health, reffing, roughing.....) and I'm not trying to dredge all of that up, but they were still a pretty good team.

Taylor or Tyler. Who should be the first overall pick?

Doesn’t matter, Chia traded both of them.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:03 AM, Rush17 said:

They had to wait until I was in bed. :lol: that apparently is the oilers m.o. anyway. Release news like this at optimal times where there is less lime light.

Didn’t they fire Ralph Krueger by email a few years back? 

Classy bunch. 

11 hours ago, kacholu said:

These kinds of trades are not happening anymore because he has learner from his mistakes. 

There is always free agency for a short term deal you can plug in the line up if you are waiting for the kids. Also, to use your own argument of we didn't have the ideal scouting team in place back then.......well we didn't really have a deep prospect pool either. So the concern of waiting for the kids at that time does not have merit. 

I think it's more that we now have enough pieces in that age range and those trades are less necessary now. 

12 hours ago, kacholu said:

Benning was trying to spread the age group and has done that so those moves have become unnecessary.

After trading for Gudbranson Benning said they now had the age structure he was looking for and would now be holding on to their picks and developing from within.  The whole idea of spreading the age group is to have a structure in place that allows to bring steadiness to the group and average age reasonable.  He doesn't want to have to replace the roster in a bulk.  It's also for cap management.  

Archived