The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interview on Sportsnet 650

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Those posters who talk about how terrible it was for JB to trade a 2nd rounder for a 4th rounder (Vey) are being completely ridiculous. Once a draft pick has been exercised, it is no longer a draft pick, it is a player/prospect. Where he was drafted was irrelevant.

If anyone doesn't believe that, then they must be ecstatic over the Guddy acquisition, since he was a 3rd overall pick, something that would cost a huge number of 2nd round picks, if any number of 2nd round picks would be enough to acquire a 3rd overall pick.

Great post...

Draft position is totally irrelevant... It only indicates the projection of the player compared to everyone else in his draft class...

Time only will tell if he really is better or worse than other players.

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

benning.JPG.ea21f99fca743993a8749ec8e4a9ac88.JPG

To be fair, what else is he gonna say? "Yeah we are gonna suck for half a decade, get used to it people!" .  I always take what management says with a grain of salt.  Is management parroting what ownership wants, do they actually believe what they are saying, are they putting out statements to calm down the fan base?  Its politics.  And so what if he did like the core players and thought it could be turned around in a hurry.  The year following that quote the team got 100+ points (from 83 points in 2014).  Id call that a turn around.  Problem is it was the last gasp for that core.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, Fan since 82 said:

I have been wondering if one of the European pro leagues could be an option for guys like this? Guys who need tougher and more mature competition, but are too young for the AHL. I honestly don't know if it would work or not but...

Isn't that what Juolevi did?

3 hours ago, Darius said:

To be fair, what else is he gonna say? "Yeah we are gonna suck for half a decade, get used to it people!"

Isn't that what Shanahan expressed in the media to the Leafs fans a couple of years ago? They were a terrible team for so many years, and now they're the favourites to win the Cup. Wonder how that happened? Oh yeah, they signed John Tavares. Canucks never do anything big to improve the team. It's more or less tinkering. I don't expect him to do anything really, just tinker. They'll re-sign Edler, keep Sutter, Pouliot and Goldobin, and maybe trade Gagner for a 5th.

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Isn't that what Shanahan expressed in the media to the Leafs fans a couple of years ago? They were a terrible team for so many years, and now they're the favourites to win the Cup. Wonder how that happened? Oh yeah, they signed John Tavares. Canucks never do anything big to improve the team. It's more or less tinkering. I don't expect him to do anything really, just tinker. They'll re-sign Edler, keep Sutter, Pouliot and Goldobin, and maybe trade Gagner for a 5th.

To be fair anytime you hear about big named players wanting to get traded to another team or signing in free agency, how many players actually have Vancouver on thier list?

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think that the difference is leaf fans had gone through about a decade of suckditude before shanahan made that statement, and at the same time ownership was on board with that direction.  I get the sense that ownership here did not want to blow it up - they had just handed 14 million to the Sedins....So yeah Shanahan did say that but he had different conditions where a statement like that could be stomached.

Regarding "Wonder how that Happened": winning the draft lotto that got them a Mathews calibre player + being able to attract a guy that wanted to go home to an up and coming team really helped.  The fact that guy happened to be arguably the best UFA to come out in a decade helped their cause I would say.  They have made plenty of smart moves but they have had a couple horse shoes along the way.

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

To be fair anytime you hear about big named players wanting to get traded to another team or signing in free agency, how many players actually have Vancouver on thier list?

The other angle to this is that UFAs who are in the prime of their career usually do not want to go to a team that is a few years away from potentially being serious contenders.  These guys want to win in their prime.  A guy like Tavares isnt leaving New York to go to a team a few years away when he just went through that in New York.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

The other angle to this is that UFAs who are in the prime of their career usually do not want to go to a team that is a few years away from potentially being serious contenders.  These guys want to win in their prime.  A guy like Tavares isnt leaving New York to go to a team a few years away when he just went through that in New York.

He's also overlooking the impact of the UFA's he did sign.  Schaller hasn't caught but both Rousell and Beagle have had huge impacts on the team and the young guys.

Fair enough (comments above). Getting the 1st to draft Matthews was definitely a turning point for them. Like drafting Pettersson was for the Canucks. I believe there are quite a few players around the league that are now aware of Pettersson and Boeser and how the Canucks are rebuilding and may want to jump aboard for the ride. Tavares went "home" to play on his favourite team, grew up a Leafs fan. Just so happens they are contenders. Great for him.  

Benning says he likes the core and feels the Canucks can be turned around in a hurry. What does that mean? How do they propose to turn the team around quickly? Only way to do that is with a big trade. It's not like Goldobin and Virtanen are instantly going to get it and become great. I'm curious how he intends to turn things around in a hurry.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Fair enough (comments above). Getting the 1st to draft Matthews was definitely a turning point for them. Like drafting Pettersson was for the Canucks. I believe there are quite a few players around the league that are now aware of Pettersson and Boeser and how the Canucks are rebuilding and may want to jump aboard for the ride. Tavares went "home" to play on his favourite team, grew up a Leafs fan. Just so happens they are contenders. Great for him.  

Benning says he likes the core and feels the Canucks can be turned around in a hurry. What does that mean? How do they propose to turn the team around quickly? Only way to do that is with a big trade. It's not like Goldobin and Virtanen are instantly going to get it and become great. I'm curious how he intends to turn things around in a hurry.

Hey Nucker...that Benning quote is from 2014...not sure if we are talking about the same thing here...

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

Hey Nucker...that Benning quote is from 2014...not sure if we are talking about the same thing here...

I remember JB saying that too.  I didn't know of CDC at that time, but if I did, I would have posted a lot of negative comments.  Then, JB's team goes out and gets 101 points!  He did squeeze one more year out of that old core, so I give him credit.  I do think we should have started a tear down rebuild after losing in the playoffs that spring to the Flames though.  Isn't that the summer we signed Loui Errikson?  

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Yup but it doesn't seem like as much of an option for North American players. They hust tend to stay in junior until they are AHL eligible. 

yeah but technically Juolevi was supposed to go back to the knights but he chose Europe instead. Can't Woo's agent do the same?

22 minutes ago, smokes said:

yeah but technically Juolevi was supposed to go back to the knights but he chose Europe instead. Can't Woo's agent do the same?

Think he probably could, but I'm just wondering what the thinking is as far as development goes. What's management's opinion on if that would be better - playing a tier up against men but on the bigger ice, or staying in NA and finishing their junior time against slightly lesser and younger competition. 

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Think he probably could, but I'm just wondering what the thinking is as far as development goes. What's management's opinion on if that would be better - playing a tier up against men but on the bigger ice, or staying in NA and finishing their junior time against slightly lesser and younger competition. 

I think Woo should go to Europe (Swiss league) for next season.  He's too good and physically strong for the WHL.  

7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Those posters who talk about how terrible it was for JB to trade a 2nd rounder for a 4th rounder (Vey) are being completely ridiculous. Once a draft pick has been exercised, it is no longer a draft pick, it is a player/prospect. Where he was drafted was irrelevant.

If anyone doesn't believe that, then they must be ecstatic over the Guddy acquisition, since he was a 3rd overall pick, something that would cost a huge number of 2nd round picks, if any number of 2nd round picks would be enough to acquire a 3rd overall pick.

Really? 

Any draft pick is ALWAYS a player/prospect until proven otherwise

If you were a believer in the Canucks drafting now and believed they could draft better than anyone else, then you would rather keep a 2nd

To me, if the Canucks trade a 2nd for a unproven 4th pick of someone else, what does that say of their confidence in uncovering (at the very least) another Vey with their OWN 2nd,3rd and 4th picks?

Archived