The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Barring change, Sens plan to trade Duchene

Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

So Dorion moved their 1st round draft pick in which they would’ve been in the mix for Kappo Kakko or Jack Hughes.... for a guy they now are looking to trade??!?

Are Chiapet and Dorion long lost cousins or something? :huh:

Well, Chiarelli DID start his NHL career as assistant GM of the Sens...there's that.

Not a surprise that players aren't willing to sign for less in Ottawa when the owner is too cheap to even attempt to ice a competitive team.  If there weren't rules against doing so by the NHLPA, Melnkyk would try to get the players to drive the Zamboni and have the healthy scratches work the concessions.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

So if the sens are as $&!#ty as they are this season, with those three on the roster..

Just imagine how bad they'll be next season without them.

Add to that the fact I doubt any UFA will sign there

I feel bad for the Sens fans in my family. That org is &^@#ed

Well they will get a first and prospect for both Duchesne and Stone which speeds up their rebuild and it’s better for them to suck next year and have a shot at Alexis Lafrenierre. They won’t be bad for long, they do have Chabot, Tkachuk. Colin White, Ceci, Dzingel having a nice year and Logan Brown and few other nice pieces in their system. If they are able to get two “later playoff entrant” first rounders and good prospects they will be a decent team in 2 years after next years draft. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Can probably get a 1st rounder + 2 prospects for Duchene. Still a very painful loss considering the boatload they spent to trade for him. 

I could be wrong didn’t they trade for him the year after they went to the semi finals? I think so and they felt he was a missing piece. No one could have predicted the problems that occurred in the dressing room that imploded that team. If I’m right I think people are forgetting the timing, it’s not like Dorian made this trade when they were sucking did he?

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Yup.  They had the option of choosing which 1st rounder it was.  They elected to hang onto the 2018 pick thinking they will do better next year.

they are dead last right now.

Ya but they got Tkachuk and he’s a hell of a player and will be a star. It’s hard to say who will be better. End of the day, they gave up a first that hurt them but the one they used is a stud. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Laine   Scheifele   Stone

Oh my...

Sportsnet said tonight given the western teams are heavy in on both Duchesne and Stone that it will set off an arms race at the deadline. It’s time for JB to make some deals and use this to his advantage. Hopefully Sutter is back soon and they move him and move Edler. As much as the latter will hurt, he needs to do it and then re-sign Eagle in the offseason. If that “arms race” happens, key defensive players will matter just as much as guys like Stone and Duschene as they become key shut down adds for the playoffs. Both Eddie and Sutter are high value defensive players and can shut down top lines and are great on the PK. And we know how important special teams are in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Well they will get a first and prospect for both Duchesne and Stone which speeds up their rebuild and it’s better for them to suck next year and have a shot at Alexis Lafrenierre. They won’t be bad for long, they do have Chabot, Tkachuk. Colin White, Ceci, Dzingel having a nice year and Logan Brown and few other nice pieces in their system. If they are able to get two “later playoff entrant” first rounders and good prospects they will be a decent team in 2 years after next years draft. 

How's that game plan been working out for the Oilers? 

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

How's that game plan been working out for the Oilers? 

They still have some decent vets. I think you’re ignoring this wasn’t an “intentional” tank. It’s a mess due to the locker room that just gutted their team. Same reason many are saying move Edler is why you make this trade. If those guys want to re-sign in the offseason they can but you’re screwed right now and in the future  and have some high value assets you can move to address that.

Using those chips / assets to advance the rebuild is smart. They’ve already got first draft lottery position (which goes to colorado), nothing is changing that. Why not do what you can to improve and at least get a couple first rounders and prospects back? It’s stupid not to. The Duchesne trade is a sunk cost, at least try to salvage something from it. And they can salvage a lot, Chabot went 18th, Pasternak went 20+. Boeser went 20+. Those picks can be franchise changers if they pick right and they NEED them.

You have two of the highest value rentals in the league, no first rounder, are going to win the lottery (and not get the pick) and you think they’re playing the Edmonton game? Dude wake up, if there’s ever a time for asset management it’s now for Ottawa. 

16 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Sportsnet said tonight given the western teams are heavy in on both Duchesne and Stone that it will set off an arms race at the deadline. It’s time for JB to make some deals and use this to his advantage. Hopefully Sutter is back soon and they move him and move Edler. As much as the latter will hurt, he needs to do it and then re-sign Eagle in the offseason. If that “arms race” happens, key defensive players will matter just as much as guys like Stone and Duschene as they become key shut down adds for the playoffs. Both Eddie and Sutter are high value defensive players and can shut down top lines and are great on the PK. And we know how important special teams are in the playoffs. 

Sutter may be out for the year, so I highly doubt he gets moved next week.  Edler may be back soon but he has a NTC so unless he agrees to move he's not going anywhere either.  Even Tanev is out for an extended period so he can't be moved either.

The only players I see with a chance of getting moved at the deadline are Granlund and Goldobin, maybe Biega.  A very small chance Hutton gets moved if JB gets a nice offer.  Nobody would want Pouliot or Schaller unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter may be out for the year, so I highly doubt he gets moved next week.  Edler may be back soon but he has a NTC so unless he agrees to move he's not going anywhere either.  Even Tanev is out for an extended period so he can't be moved either.

The only players I see with a chance of getting moved at the deadline are Granlund and Goldobin, maybe Biega.  A very small chance Hutton gets moved if JB gets a nice offer.  Nobody would want Pouliot or Schaller unfortunately.

Ya true, not much value in what we have in the bag of scraps! Lol

Well I hope Sutter stays healthy next year and plays well then. Could be a good asset at the deadline assuming Gaudette shows he’s ready which is close to a certainty if he keeps progressing the way he is. 

49 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

I could be wrong didn’t they trade for him the year after they went to the semi finals? I think so and they felt he was a missing piece. No one could have predicted the problems that occurred in the dressing room that imploded that team. If I’m right I think people are forgetting the timing, it’s not like Dorian made this trade when they were sucking did he?

Not saying Ottawa totally bombed the trade. Seemed like a good trade at the time for their team. They still paid a boatload of value for the trade though, not to mention along with Turris who is a top 6 forward himself. I think the owner hated Turris for some reason and didn't want to give him a pay day. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Not saying Ottawa totally bombed the trade. Seemed like a good trade at the time for their team. They still paid a boatload of value for the trade though, not to mention along with Turris who is a top 6 forward himself. I think the owner hated Turris for some reason and didn't want to give him a pay day. 

Ya I forgot about Turris. That was a mess for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Turris has zone starts of 70% and is only a 0.5ppg.  Poile was pretty severe in his recent assessment of their 2nd line saying they need much more from that line.  He talked about how the line faded in the 2nd half of last season and in the playoffs.  It's no better this season.  

Poile really wanted Duchene but they wanted one of their 4Ds and that was a no go so they went with Turris.  I wonder if they won't try and get Duchene and move Turris in the off-season.  

Turris wanted 8 years and to be paid - 6 years was not available to Ottawa.

Archived