The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 21, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Canucks have nothing to trade, maybe some ahl trades but that’s about it.

Canucks are done trading this season. 

Believe me that Canucks are not done trading this season.

Jim is working on something:

1.. If they receive a tempting offer for Edler and Edler agrees to waive his no trade clause we are going to get a hopefully decent return for him.

2.  I do believe that a hockey trade might happen. I read that a scout from the New Jersey Devils followed the Canucks on their 3 game California road trip.

3.  Furthermore I do see a chance of trading Granlund away.

Once the trade deadline closes on next Monday you might be surprised what Jim was able to accomplish.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"He's a gamer. I've said it a lot lately, I like Gauds' game. Definitely not blaming him on the [Crouse] goal." - Green on Gaudette

Gaudette is going to be a player, no doubt about it.

To those you keep mentioning that Gaudette can't replace Sutter:

Playing in the same spot as Sutter on the 3rd line as centre does not necessarily mean that Gaudette has to play Sutter's role.

1. Gaudette doesn't need to play Sutter's minutes.

Gaudette plays lesser minutes than Sutter does in general. As a consequence the other 3 centres like Bo, Elias and Jay are going to play more minutes.

2. Gaudette doesn't need to play on the PK.

Let's play the combo of Bo/Eriksson on the 1st PK unit and Beagle/Granlund on the 2nd PK unit.

3. Focus should be on player development and getting a high draft pick. Far more important than making the playoffs.

I mentioned it in several posts that it's critical for Gaudette's development that he plays NHL games.

49 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Gaudette is going to be a player, no doubt about it.

To those you keep mentioning that Gaudette can't replace Sutter:

Playing in the same spot as Sutter on the 3rd line as centre does not necessarily mean that Gaudette has to play Sutter's role.

1. Gaudette doesn't need to play Sutter's minutes.

Gaudette plays lesser minutes than Sutter does in general. As a consequence the other 3 centres like Bo, Elias and Jay are going to play more minutes.

2. Gaudette doesn't need to play on the PK.

Let's play the combo of Bo/Eriksson on the 1st PK unit and Beagle/Granlund on the 2nd PK unit.

I mentioned it in several posts that it's critical that Gaudette plays NHL games.

Gaudette can play PK. Let's not forget he's not a 19 yr old rookie, he's 22 and will be 23 next season. So long as he can get his faceoffs up to snuff, pair him with Erickson or Motte and they'll be fine. They are both smart, defensively aware players who are mobile and hard on pucks. He's showing he's ready and agree he needs to be developing up here next year. It means Sutter is redundant now. Sutter will be moved at the draft or some point next season IMHO, there just isn't room for all our C's and Gaudette is clearly ready. I think Green see's it to as he always glows about his character, effort etc....one of the few players I've noticed he doesn't just say 'he was ok", he always says more about his game. He's as ready or more ready than Bo was so it's time

Sloppy game overall. Boeser had a bad game. Petey had a really bad game. He may have given the puck away in the middle 20 times last night.

Good young players will have nights like this. The team just isn't deep enough to hold the fort when it happens.

7 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Boeser’s play is so concerning. I have been saying it all season but no body cares and I got flamed multiple times for just pointing out the sad truth 

the problem with boeser is he always loses the puck and is very slow on his skates..... I love him as a player and want him to succeed but I hope we don’t overpay him 

Absolutely agree,  he is prob the slowest skater on the Canucks. At this point he's a one dimensional player, he can shoot but thats all. He really needs to improve his skating a lot. He reminds me of Brett Hull 

-somebody hide Pouliot's knee pads already- he can't afford that lazy penalty

-Schaller?really?why?

-can we end the experiment on Eriksson-that one blew up in our faces, move on

TOO MANY PASSENGERS (and please, don't follow the 3 above Spooner)

More Big Mac with a side of Breezer instead 

I am not sure we are going to do much at the deadline.

Benning has already made quite a few moves. 

He really seems to have a penchant for pushing players around on the margins looking for a fit.  If anything that is all I see him doing is moving around a 4th liner or 6-7th D.

I think he will be looking to make a splash around the draft and with what he has left that should be available that will generally make more sense.  At the deadline most deals are for UFAs and other than Edler we don't have much there. 

Edler won't be moving.

Would love to see Guddy find a new home along with Sutter but those moves would likely be in offseason.

I just hope he finds a way to rebuild this D core.  Quinn will be a good start and OJ as well though I don't think we can bet a lot on him next year after major back and knee surgeries.

Will be interesting to see what happens.  

Hard to watch an Arizona game with much enthusiasm. No built up hatred. Too vanilla. They seem to exist because of Gary Bettman but have no hockey reasons to be in the NHL.

As far as as our defence went, I liked Gudbranson/ Sautner as the third pair. Green obviously feels more comfortable with Sautner than he did with Brisebois.

Biega/ Pouliot were, for the second game in a row, a good efficient pairing. Should be a 3rd pairing tho'. Pouliot, of course, is tied to the CDC whipping post and therefor is fair game for every angry, emotional keyboard warrior. Reading all the  5 year old toilet humour around his name is pretty sad and pathetic.

Stecher/ Hutton look like their energy level is starting to sag a bit. Looked fine, but the big minutes might be taking their toll.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Believe me that Canucks are not done trading this season.

Jim is working on something:

1.. If they receive a tempting offer for Edler and Edler agrees to waive his no trade clause we are going to get a hopefully decent return for him.

2.  I do believe that a hockey trade might happen. I read that a scout from the New Jersey Devils followed the Canucks on their 3 game California road trip.

3.  Furthermore I do see a chance of trading Granlund away.

Once the trade deadline closes on next Monday you might be surprised what Jim was able to accomplish.

He's not going to be traded. It's all just hearsay to get hits to their social media platforms, throwing Edler's name out there and hashtagging the Canucks near the deadline. He's out with a concussion. Who would trade for Edler when he might not even play again this year?

Canucks needed to have a killer instinct in the 3rd and they just didn't. We had 4 days off, Coyotes were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, yet we let them bring on the pressure and we got lucky to get a single point.

Our team is going to have ups and downs, it really shouldn't be a playoff team this year but so many teams had horrible stretches so we are still in the hunt i guess.

I don't want to single out just one player as it is a team game, but I do have concern with Boeser. He is a goal scorer, but his foot speed seems to lacking a lot and in today's NHL you need to be quick and I just don't see that with Brock. Good news is that can be improved with hard work. I brought him up as I saw some others mention him, plus if he wants a long term big $ deal he needs to shore up some of the weaker areas of his game. Part of that will come with more maturiy as a player but at the same time he has to have the drive to want to improve.

Overall the team is what it is. It needs to find some scoring help upfront (maybe we should try get Burakovsky) The D has 0 offense, no player has an accurate hard shot which is unfortunate for the PP as an additional threat. Teams can basically cheat to Boeser and Elias and let the fluffy point shot come hit the crest of the goalie everytime.

Hope JB tries hard before the deadline to make somethings happen, won't be blockbuster moves. But a team like us standing pat doing little at the TDL doesn't really help the team at all for the future.

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Boeser is playing himself down into a 5 million contract. 

Boeser is a shooter. We need to stop putting him in situations he is going to struggle in. 

So often we feed him the puck on the pp and otherwise where he is forced to be the puck mover or plane maker. When EP is right there!!!

In ot our most talented player doesn’t even get the puck while guys like Stetcher and Brock frankly struggled

pass it to EP boys, not that complicated  

Tough game to get into. Got a loser point nevertheless. I hope Tim has given green enough in that game to justify sitting Goldy and ZMac... nope more zeros all across the board. Schaller does nothing but take up a contract. Great show casing. Marky played well, Gaudette is ready for prime time.

CAEED537-B53C-40B0-9C33-8EB040DC9A20.jpeg

Archived