The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 21, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

i think yotes play solid defense, keep guys at the right side of the puck and throws puck for their chances. Not the most inspiring thing to watch but they have even fewer stars then Nucks. They got Ekman larsson, galchenyuk and grabner (should i mention keller?). i mean really......thats not much in the way of scoring forwards. These games is where u need to work extra hard and keep trying to get chances and 2nd chances repeatedly. The second u stop doing that is when they get the advantage. 

I thought Spooner looked  good. He is quick and has pretty soft hands. What better way to give this guy a kick start then to put him with the top line. Maybe they will just flip him if they can. If not he might find a role here for next year.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

He's not going to be traded. It's all just hearsay to get hits to their social media platforms, throwing Edler's name out there and hashtagging the Canucks near the deadline. He's out with a concussion. Who would trade for Edler when he might not even play again this year?

O.K.: the following statement is part of an report:

Speculation has included the Vancouver Canucks considering offers for their long-serving defenceman and asking the pending unrestricted free agent to waive his no-trade clause before the Monday noon deadline. 

Latest news on his status is, that he is skating on his own. He will be back sooner than later.

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Hard to watch an Arizona game with much enthusiasm. No built up hatred. Too vanilla. They seem to exist because of Gary Bettman but have no hockey reasons to be in the NHL.

As far as as our defence went, I liked Gudbranson/ Sautner as the third pair. Green obviously feels more comfortable with Sautner than he did with Brisebois.

Biega/ Pouliot were, for the second game in a row, a good efficient pairing. Should be a 3rd pairing tho'. Pouliot, of course, is tied to the CDC whipping post and therefor is fair game for every angry, emotional keyboard warrior. Reading all the  5 year old toilet humour around his name is pretty sad and pathetic.

Stecher/ Hutton look like their energy level is starting to sag a bit. Looked fine, but the big minutes might be taking their toll.

It's interesting how opinions differ::D

The Vancouver Canucks way…

Ben Kuzma of The Province:  Building a better back end is the priority for Jim Benning and the Vancouver Canucks. Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, and Bo Horvat score at an above-average NHL level.

However, the defense still lacks something. Fortunately, hope lies in prospects such as Quinn Hughes. Hughes expects to join the team in the near future. Olli Juolevi needs to make an immediate impact as well.

This is why. Incredibly, Ben Hutton and Troy Stecher have not broken down yet despite playing huge minutes. Their third pairing is chaotic.

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Frustrating game.

Coaches deserve some heat for not having the team ready to play in the third. Seems as though for at least 1 period per game we're horribly outplayed by every team we're up against. That's on the coaches.

Its like they set out to win 1-0 after the first goal wasnt much effort out there.

Brock seems to be the focus of some criticism in here.  I get it, players get scrutinized, especially after losses.

But I chuckle at the "slowest skater" and "one dimensional" comments.  If Brock was a rocket on the ice do you really think he would have fell to 23rd in the draft?  He does very well even with this deficiency.

His play making skills are really under rated by some.  Even last night, on the tying goal, he was involved in quickly transitioning the puck to the opposing blue line on Gaudette's tying goal. 

He has his share of brain farts, where he gives away the puck....but according to the stats he is 7th in give aways on the team, behind guys like Pettersson and Bo.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks-team-stats?season=2018&category=DEFENSE&time=0 .  He is also 4th on the team in take aways.

Yeah, i get it, he looks aloof in the defensive zone sometimes....do you really think that this is unique to Brock?  Ever watch some of our greatest offensive talents (in Canucks history) play in the D zone?  Or how about other snipers around the league?

We are blessed to have this kid in the lineup and producing at the rate he is producing at, considering where he was taken.  How many players, in like the history of this org, have reached 100 points faster?  You have to look at players with franchise legendary status to be in that conversation.   All this is missed I think, because he plays beside what could arguably be the best player this team has had in 50 years - the shiniest of shiny toys.

To add to all this, he is 21 years old.  Where were guys like Hank, Daniel, Kesler, Naslund , Bertuzzi, in their 21st year?  Were they almost point per game players?

Finally, what frustrates me the most is that Brock and Pettersson are producing despite having one of the most horrid offensively capable defense cores in the league behind them.  Passes are never in their wheel house on the PP (look at how many times they have to handle the puck and get it into position after a pass from the point man).  They cant depend on the d to rush the puck and make a nice play.  The D's no 1 goto move is to dump the puck out instead of transitioning the puck.  The D is not good at holding the line.  When the top line gets possession of the puck in the O zone and they pass back to the blue line the play dies way more often than it is kept alive.  Basically EP and Brock have to generate everything on their own.

Imagine if these guys had a Giordano, Burns, Doughty, Keith, anybody with a friggen offensive bone in their body generating plays for them.  Instead, these guys got players like Biega on their blue line.

Jesus, the Pouliot hate on this board is ridiculous. Sometimes CDC makes me sick, the scapegoating is brutal. Puliot did NOT cost the Canucks this game, the lack of effort in the 3rd period did. Puliot WAS NOT ON THE ICE for any of the goals against. Stecher and Hutton were on for the first goal, Guddy and Sautner for the second, Hutton for the OT winner. The only defensive skaters to play in OT were Stecher and Hutton. Pouliot had one official giveaway, which is two less than Stech and one less than Petey. I thought Pouliot had a decent game. Played pretty simple in his own end, didn't make any glaring mistakes that cost a goal. Made a great pass up the middle to I think it was Petey for an odd-man rush. Overall, one of his better efforts. Yes when Pouliot tries to do too much or be too cute he is prone to make stupid mistakes, but that was not this game.

I love Stech, but he had a very rough night on the PP. Several times Petey and Brock were open for the one-timer and Stech passed it to their skates. He played a ridiculous 30 minutes, which is about ten too many which might be why he committed 3 TOs.

All those people praising Gaudette, yes it was a great snipe on the tying goal, but it was his man on a defensive breakdown who scored AZ's second goal. He was standing in front of his own goal watching the play behind the net. If you are the center standing in front of your own goal, you'd better look around because somebody needs to be checked. I like Gaudette and think he shows promise, but he still has work to do.

Spooner looked out of place with Petey and Brock. I thought he was okay, and I'm hoping he'll improve but this looked like the Oilers Spooner not the Bruins Spooner.

Schaller played hard, really looked like he was working and yet was completely invisible. So much for TG's gut.

Jake and Goldy need to play more like Rous. That guy is maximum effort every shift. He makes the most of limited talent, and That pass to Bo was a beauty it was a great board battle by Granny and nice between the legs pass to Rous. Funny how Granny also gets hate here, yet he plays a quietly good 3rd line game, and chips in offensively when he gets a chance.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's interesting how opinions differ::D

The Vancouver Canucks way…

Ben Kuzma of The Province:  Building a better back end is the priority for Jim Benning and the Vancouver Canucks. Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, and Bo Horvat score at an above-average NHL level.

However, the defense still lacks something. Fortunately, hope lies in prospects such as Quinn Hughes. Hughes expects to join the team in the near future. Olli Juolevi needs to make an immediate impact as well.

This is why. Incredibly, Ben Hutton and Troy Stecher have not broken down yet despite playing huge minutes. Their third pairing is chaotic.

The third pairing was Pouliot and Biega.

Some thought has to be given to where the TOI will be spent next year. What we have found out this year is that Hutton and Stecher can play as a 2nd pairing in the NHL. Whether that means they will be on a Canuck CUP contending team is still a question. If they are not they have trade value. Edler and Tanev are still the top pair but I highly doubt either will be on the team in 3 years which is when I hope this team will be a contender. Do you keep both to help the transition? That appears to be management's view. IMHO one of them has to be moved. Not just a question of what they possibly bring back but also to free up TOI. Hopefully next fall we have Hughes and Joulevi on the roster. Saun[tner and Brisbois are also ready.  

Why is it we lose to the Coyotes  every dang time we play them? It's not like they are a great team either - I'm not saying the Canucks are great - but surely we are as good as the Yotes and still - nope - not gonna win

Like Roussels game more and more as the season goes on - I think he is the best of the  signing - Beags'Schaller/Roussel of last summer.  Wonder why Green doesn't keep him on a line with Horvat - they seem to put up points when playing together.

Adam Gaudette - think he is ready to become a full time NHLer

Sautner had a decent game - would like to see more of him

I would prefer Mac in over Schaller

And Goldy - what will happen to the Golden Boy? You see the potential but will he develop more or has he reached his peak? 

I watched the whole game - the 1st 2 periods were OK - the 3rd a snooze fest

Stetcher needs to practise shooting the puck

I'm rambling - time to stop - go canucks go

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

O.K.: the following statement is part of an report:

Speculation has included the Vancouver Canucks considering offers for their long-serving defenceman and asking the pending unrestricted free agent to waive his no-trade clause before the Monday noon deadline. 

Latest news on his status is, that he is skating on his own. He will be back sooner than later.

He needs to be medically cleared and coming off a concussion if he isn't there's huge risk there that he might not play at all. No team will give up anything worth trading Edler for.

8 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Criticize senselessly or just pointing out the truth that a small portion of fans refuse to acknowledge and admit to? 

The truth is out there for all to see, and most can see it, Brock is not the same this year and has taken steps back.

I love brock by the way and hope he gets his pay cheque this summer but at the same time how can you justify giving him Pastrank’s money if he isn’t worth it? Are you really going to sign him to a long term expensive deal when he is playing like this? I think a 5 million bridge deal is fair at this point 

We might discuss why this is happening and how he can get over this or, we can choose to ignore and pretend he is just as good as last year. Your call 

My take?

He is as good as last year, imo skating better too.

Last year he was facing the #'s 3 and 4 defense, while Hank and Danny did the heavy lifting.

His pp goals were often due to Hank's feeds with Danny being a secondary shooting threat (primary, if one looks at how the defense played Daniel, which often left BB open)

His scoring tapered as the season progressed as teams realized the threat he was, and started keying on him (much as is happening with Petey right now)

He sustained 2 injuries, the second one terminating his season - started this season bulked up, and sustained the dreaded groin injury.  Still not 100% I'd wager

Now he and Petey are facing the top defense pairing

Without Baertschi, there is no real scoring threat on the pp other than Brock and Petey, so defending against them is easier (and they do miss Edler - not as mobile as Stetch or Pouliot, but with a far superior shot)

And the PP strategy sucks the big one -

Why is BB the designated carrier to gain entry after the drop pass, when Petey is far more nimble and deke-able?

Why does Stetch shoot so often when options to pass to BB or EP are available? (I get that we don't want to be predictable, but it's almost predictable the other way)

Why does Stetch telegraph his drop pass by turning his back to the forward play, even when he has beaten a couple of defenders?

Why is Petey so low down, necessitating a miracle shot or a carom off the goaltender's back?

Why is no -one screening even when Stetcher is firing his muffins?

Why is Brown still our PP coach???????

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Gaudette is going to be a player, no doubt about it.

To those you keep mentioning that Gaudette can't replace Sutter:

Playing in the same spot as Sutter on the 3rd line as centre does not necessarily mean that Gaudette has to play Sutter's role.

1. Gaudette doesn't need to play Sutter's minutes.

Gaudette plays lesser minutes than Sutter does in general. As a consequence the other 3 centres like Bo, Elias and Jay are going to play more minutes.

2. Gaudette doesn't need to play on the PK.

Let's play the combo of Bo/Eriksson on the 1st PK unit and Beagle/Granlund on the 2nd PK unit.

3. Focus should be on player development and getting a high draft pick. Far more important than making the playoffs.

I mentioned it in several posts that it's critical for Gaudette's development that he plays NHL games.

No role for Motte? (Putatively our best penalty killer after Eriksson)

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not impressed with how the Canucks responded in the third period.  Zero urgency landed them a single point.

Aside from Boeser's assist, man his game was hard to watch tonight.  A lot of mismanagement of the puck and a lot of floating around defensively.  

And I got roasted for pointing that out in many of BB6’s games this season. 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Imagine if these guys had a Giordano, Burns, Doughty, Keith, anybody with a friggen offensive bone in their body generating plays for them.  Instead, these guys got players like Biega on their blue line.

Agreed. It’s why I’m praying Hughes can adjust quickly and be at least decent in his own end, we desperately need his offensive skill set. 

Talk about letting an opportunity slip through their fingers. They were dominating puck possession and had twice the amount of shots as ARI halfway through the game. Then they tried to protect a 1-goal lead in the 3rd and when that happens, they lose. Once they take their foot off the gas, they're done. Not good enough defensively to win many games like that. Disappointing, but not surprised. I thought Schaller and Spooner had a pretty good game. Wicked shot by Gaudette, he's going to be a beauty.

Archived