The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

16 hours ago, rekker said:

Great post. The kid has done himself a real disservice. If this is the agents doing shame on him. 

I think Dahlen still has a chance to turn it around but it will be interesting to see what happens with the agent.  From the sounds of it, there might have a significant error made on the part of the agent if he demanded a trade when Dahlen didn't really want one or did not provide clear instructions to ask for one.  I'm curious if Dahlen's father Ulf might have had any part in this too (not accusing him but just noting that perhaps he set certain expectations due to his previous NHL career).

If Dahlen really did ask his agent for a trade, then there's still a chance to turn it around but as many others have said, he has probably dug himself a deep hole and will need to try even harder to prove himself.

Dahlen had a slow start to the year but he was starting to turn things around and, while he wasn't breaking down the doors to get NHL time this season, it wasn't unreasonable to expect that he would have a chance next season (even with the acquisitions of guys like Pearson and Spooner).  I haven't been personally been through the process of trying to make the NHL but it seems to me like skilled guys who shy away from contact and/or play on the perimeter have to work harder to overcome that perception of their game.  Maybe Dahlen looked at the depth chart heading into next season and just found that he didn't seem to fit into the Canucks' future (his style of play not being what they need) but my guess is that this is not an uncommon story for most NHL teams.

I still do hope Dahlen can turn things around for his own sake but it also seems like all this drama could have been avoidable.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Warhippy said:

It's almost like...maybe it wasn't Utica or Benning at all?

He hasn't played since 16 March after leaving mid-game with an upper body injury.   He's probably still injured.

• Upvote 1

Personally, if we were to trade him, I would rather us package him with one of our bad contracts (e.g. Eriksson's contract) during the off-season as a sweetener for a team to take on a bad contract. Again, I just hope Linus Karlsson works out for us at some point.

For reference, Dahlen didn't demand to be traded. Unless you guys think he is flat out lying in an interview where he can easily be disproved by anyone from the Canucks organization.  

Typical Canucks forum to be extremely biased whenever we trade away players. 

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

FTF: If I could clear up some things then, did your agent ask for a trade?

JD: No, I don’t think so.

We had a little stuff down there in Utica where I really wanted to feel good about myself and have confidence in my game and play well. I don’t want to say anything bad about anybody, but I didn’t feel too good about my hockey game there.

To be honest, I just want to put it behind me, and I’m really excited to work with the great coaching staff here who have already made me feel a lot better about myself. I’m really ready to get going here and work hard and just be happy and love to play hockey.

FTF: Jim Benning said some young players these days don’t want to “pay their dues” to make it to the NHL. He was referring, in part, to you. Was that a fair assessment from him?

JD: I don’t know. To be honest, I’m just excited to be here and work hard and try to get to the next level.

But first of all, I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.

FTF: Benning also said the discrepancy between your camp and the Canucks was that your camp thought you should be in the NHL at some point this year. You’re saying that wasn’t a fair portrayal?

JD: No, I want to be a leading player in the [AHL] and play there.

I was trying really hard in Utica to earn minutes in key situations and working really hard to do it. But I’m just happy to be here and I want to try and earn minutes here with the Barracuda. It’s not like I have any eyes on the NHL yet because I’ve got a lot to work on to get there, for sure.

FTF: What was challenging about Utica?

JD: It’s a hard question.

It’s a great group of guys there. Great teammates. They’re really nice, everybody there. Great captains and vets and everything. Had a Grade-A experience with the team there.

I’m just happy to get a fresh start now. Try something else. Try to feel good about myself again. Get confidence.

15 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

For reference, Dahlen didn't demand to be traded. Unless you guys think he is flat out lying in an interview where he can easily be disproved by anyone from the Canucks organization.  

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

We had a little stuff down there in Utica where I really wanted to feel good about myself and have confidence in my game and play well. I don’t want to say anything bad about anybody, but I didn’t feel too good about my hockey game there.

To be honest, I just want to put it behind me, and I’m really excited to work with the great coaching staff here who have already made me feel a lot better about myself. I’m really ready to get going here and work hard and just be happy and love to play hockey.

FTF: Jim Benning said some young players these days don’t want to “pay their dues” to make it to the NHL. He was referring, in part, to you. Was that a fair assessment from him?

JD: I don’t know. To be honest, I’m just excited to be here and work hard and try to get to the next level.

But first of all, I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.

FTF: Benning also said the discrepancy between your camp and the Canucks was that your camp thought you should be in the NHL at some point this year. You’re saying that wasn’t a fair portrayal?

I was trying really hard in Utica to earn minutes in key situations and working really hard to do it. But I’m just happy to be here and I want to try and earn minutes here with the Barracuda. It’s not like I have any eyes on the NHL yet because I’ve got a lot to work on to get there, for sure.

It’s a great group of guys there. Great teammates. They’re really nice, everybody there. Great captains and vets and everything. Had a Grade-A experience with the team there.

I’m just happy to get a fresh start now. Try something else. Try to feel good about myself again. Get confidence.

You are not revealing anything new.

There is an apparent discrepancy between Benning and Dahlen. 

Some people speculate that Dahlen demanded a trade (to posture) a call up but it backfired on him.

Of course he is not going to say he demanded a trade. Benning traded for him and didn't even hang onto him for one year.

I suspect Benning found Dahlen's attitude to be poor/entitled or he was given poor advice. 

Think about it: why would the canucks break up Dahlen/Pettersson knowing full well their chemistry and friendship?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

He started the entire interview with "I don't think so". If you have been 21 like he is, you know if you say you don't think so, you really mean you don't know.

One party is saying he asked for a trade, one side is not. I for one, will believe the Canucks organization over a young man trying to save face. Best of luck to Dahlen, one way or another there was a miss communication.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You are not revealing anything new.

There is an apparent discrepancy between Benning and Dahlen. 

Some people speculate that Dahlen demanded a trade (to posture) a call up but it backfired on him.

Of course he is not going to say he demanded a trade. Benning traded for him and didn't even hang onto him for one year.

I suspect Benning found Dahlen's attitude to be poor/entitled or he was given poor advice. 

Think about it: why would the canucks break up Dahlen/Pettersson knowing full well their chemistry and friendship?

if someone wished to stir the pot, they could begin with the fact that EP had 56 points in 52 games as of  Feb 25th, the trade deadline, then went 10 points in the remaining 19.. 

he's pissed JD was traded, spirit is crushed, he wants to be a Shark, etc.. :bigblush:

• Haha 1

https://www.fearthefin.com/2018/9/8/17833058/top-25-san-jose-sharks-under-25-linus-karlsson-prospect-report-karlskrona-allsvkenskan

may have already been posted - but an SB Nation Shark lover's take on Karlsson.....

Top 25 Sharks Under 25: No. 14 Linus Karlsson is exciting for a third-round pick

Who needs Erik, anyway?

By efowle15@FowleBall15 Sep 8, 2018  
image.0.jpg

The NHL talk of the town all off-season was the future of Erik Karlsson. That conversation has died down mostly, save for a few errant tweets stirring the proverbial dung. As the season approaches and hockey media outlets try their damndest to predict this coming season’s outcome(s), the likely regression of William Karlsson will become a more pressing topic. In San Jose, meanwhile, the Sharks have their own Karlsson to be excited about (and sorry, it’s not Melker).

On Emmanuel Perry’s list of every forward currently under the age of 19 who was technically eligible for the 2018 draft, Linus Karlsson, the Sharks’ third-round pick, ranks tied for 35 in terms of potential upside (WAR/82 in the NHL). That list is 1,752 names long and features names like Andrei Svechnikov, Vitali Kravstov, Filip Zadina, and Martin Kaut at or near the top. Karlsson’s 58 percent chance of making the NHL according to that model places him in even more rarefied air: 14th among that same group of 1,700+ teenage forwards.

Age (as of September 9): 18
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Size: 6’1”, 187 pounds
Nationality: SWE
2017 Ranking: N/A
Staff Ranking: 11
Acquired: 2018 NHL Entry Draft, Round 3, 87 overall
2017-18 Team: Karlskrona J20, SuperElit
2018-19 Team: Karlskrona, Allsvenskan

Karlsson — a 6-foot-1, 187-pound center from Eksjö, Sweden — scored 56 points in 48 SuperElit games (including playoffs) last season. It’s important to note that those points were not empty calories, though he did acquire a healthy proportion on the power play.

Betweenness — a measure of a player’s impact on his team’s scoring network — shows how much a given player relied on his teammates to score primary points. This is a list of the top 25 players in the entire SuperElit league last season, so many of the skaters listed here are a year or so older than Karlsson. In terms of even-strength scoring impact, Karlsson ranked among the top 20 skaters in his entire league. In all situations, thanks to his extra man contributions, Karlsson ranked ninth. This is all to say that his draft year season, which included one assist in 14 SHL games, was quite impressive.

top 25 SuperElit players in 2017-18 according to even strength betweenness (scoring influence)

Marcus Karlberg and Linus Karlsson at 18th and 19th, respectively. Jonatan Berggren is 36th. Dominik Bokk is 44th. pic.twitter.com/YDxcyrTGs0

— Evan Oppenheimer (@OppenheimerEvan) July 1, 2018

Emmanuel Perry’s model, which was referenced above, is not the only method of statistical comparison to look upon Karlsson favorably. The model Jeremy Davis of Canucks Army developed only gave Karlsson a 23 percent chance of making the NHL thanks to this 2017-18 season. But Davis also found that Karlsson was involved in 41 percent of his team’s 5-on-5 goals, the highest such mark of any prospect Davis and Co. evaluated. Karlsson’s most-common teammates except one all produced better results when skating alongside the Sharks prospect.

NHL players who have put together similar statistical seasons in the SuperElit league include Jesper Fast, Jakob Silfverberg, Gustav Nyquist, and Carl Hagelin. If Karlsson turns into the next Silfverberg, well, that’s a third-round pick well spent.

What we like

Per the information on Karlsson’s EliteProspects profile page, Draftin Europe scouts believe his strengths include a “nice shot and combines that with his ability to read developing holes in the offensive zone” and has a “quality game from faceoff dots to end-boards.” Karlsson positively impacts his teammates while consistently adding to his own stat sheet. He impressed many around the Swedish hockey world last season and was at one point rumored to be a trade target of the SHL’s Rögle and 2017-18 league champion Växjö Lakers teams. For his hard work, Karlsson was named the SuperElit’s best forward. The Sharks picked Karlsson in the pick #40-100 range, which is typically where teams outperform Central Scouting rankings, especially when their picks diverge from the rankings. Karlsson has all the statistical makings of a star who was looked over a few times too many.

Areas of Improvement

According to The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, Karlsson could stand to work on his skating. At just 178 pounds, Karlsson will also likely need to spend some time lifting heavy weights and eating lots of protein in an attempt to add a little extra muscle to his frame as he heads into his first full professional season.

Highlight

Here, Karlsson notices his team has collected the puck safely in its own zone, so he heads up ice looking for the stretch pass. The pass connects — and here you can see where concerns about his skating come from — and Karlsson takes off toward the opposing net. He’s calm and steady on his skates during his approach and tosses just the right amount of dangles into the mix before finishing off the play in style. Soft hands. Concentration, not strength.

• Upvote 2

If you know anything about statement analysis you know the answer Dahlen gave to the question about him asking for a trade was very suspicious. Typically, people answering truthfully don't answer like that.

I mean really Dahlen, you don't know if you asked for a trade?? Haha come on kid.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If you know anything about statement analysis you know the answer Dahlen gave to the question about him asking for a trade was very suspicious. Typically, people answering truthfully don't answer like that.

I mean really Dahlen, you don't know if you asked for a trade?? Haha come on kid.

Your agent is supposed to represent your interests, but would only go through the process of a trade unless the player says so.

Considering he has well-established English speaking agent working for him, you are onto something. Dahlen tried to pull a move on Benning, but it backfired.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jonathan-dahlen-denies-demanding-trade-dials-in-on-development-1.23647695

This is J.P Barry we're talking about here.

Dahlen, for intents and purposes, is a no-namer compared to his other clients.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:03 PM, shayster007 said:

He started the entire interview with "I don't think so". If you have been 21 like he is, you know if you say you don't think so, you really mean you don't know.

One party is saying he asked for a trade, one side is not. I for one, will believe the Canucks organization over a young man trying to save face. Best of luck to Dahlen, one way or another there was a miss communication.

Teenagers will use the phrase "I don't think so" when they feel guilty, so while I see where you are coming from with this, it also doesn't really say much of anything either.

What really is going to be the big question here is "what was his body language while saying "I don't know"? Was it sincere as if he actually doesn't know or was it a quick "I don't know" to cover things up. We don't know this answer from just words. He did mention in that same section of the interview how he was struggling though, but that could also be taken either way. All of this is literally going to be speculation, and I don't see any statement in this thread being definitive on whether or not he asked for a trade. Even if we focus on the "professionalism" of the agent, there's also the fact that Dahlen has to communicate with said agent. Even that could have been lost in translation.

Also, having media in front of you tends to make you a different person and typically makes one hold back information to begin with, let alone when you have to cover something up. It doesn't matter if they are 21 or 52. The spotlight changes people more often than not.

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Teenagers will use the phrase "I don't think so" when they feel guilty, so while I see where you are coming from with this, it also doesn't really say much of anything either.

What really is going to be the big question here is "what was his body language while saying "I don't know"? Was it sincere as if he actually doesn't know or was it a quick "I don't know" to cover things up. We don't know this answer from just words. He did mention in that same section of the interview how he was struggling though, but that could also be taken either way. All of this is literally going to be speculation, and I don't see any statement in this thread being definitive on whether or not he asked for a trade. Even if we focus on the "professionalism" of the agent, there's also the fact that Dahlen has to communicate with said agent. Even that could have been lost in translation.

Also, having media in front of you tends to make you a different person and typically makes one hold back information to begin with, let alone when you have to cover something up. It doesn't matter if they are 21 or 52. The spotlight changes people more often than not.

J.P Barry is his agent. The same agent as the Sedins, along with many, many big name players. I'm sure Barry did NOT have any 'lost in translation' moment.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

J.P Barry is his agent. The same agent as the Sedins, along with many, many big name players. I'm sure Barry did NOT have any 'lost in translation' moment.

You'd be amazed at what sometimes goes on in big companies and with conversations. It's not all perfect in terms of communication. lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

You'd be amazed at what sometimes goes on in big companies and with conversations. It's not all perfect in terms of communication. lol

I'm aware of "miscommunication", but there was no way that J.P Barry would do something without Dahlen's consent. Dahlen is HIS boss.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm aware of "miscommunication", but there was no way that J.P Barry would do something without Dahlen's consent. Dahlen is HIS boss.

So there's no way that Dahlen could have said something he didn't mean, or didn't know how to describe what he wanted to JP Berry if he didn't know what he wanted? That's what I mean by lost in translation.

Also, are you telling me that there's no way JP Barry can make mistakes? Because he's a top agency he gets a bye from any mistakes whatsoever? Seems pretty generous of an idea to me to be honest. I realise that Dahlen is his boss, but that's just a statement and not really proof on no mistakes being made. Imagine a world where no one made mistakes for their bosses no matter the money and reputation involved. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1