The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

10 hours ago, Timråfan said:

If you understood what I was talking about it’s about Benning, Cull and development of prospects.

We had a lot of prospects when I joined this forum the year Petey started here and how many are still here?

It’s either been a disaster at Utica or fans have an really unhealthy bias on how good the prospects are.

That is totally fair and I agree with. Considering how much we gravitate towards European players/picks, I’d love to see the Nux establish some better connections in Sweden in terms of player development overseas, especially with what seems to be a somewhat ineffective development system here. An affiliate club or something. 

That said, where I disagreed with you was based on the speculation that it was all on Benning and nothing to do with Dahlen himself. Neither of us know that.

And my real point of contention was the JB character assassination based on a particular bias that wasn’t inclusive of other factual evidence that other posters were providing. 

Anyway, good article:

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/19/canucks-steal-7th-round-swedish-lucas-forsell/

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

That is totally fair and I agree with. Considering how much we gravitate towards European players/picks, I’d love to see the Nux establish some better connections in Sweden in terms of player development overseas, especially with what seems to be a somewhat ineffective development system here. An affiliate club or something. 

That said, where I disagreed with you was based on the speculation that it was all on Benning and nothing to do with Dahlen himself. Neither of us know that.

And my real point of contention was the JB character assassination based on a particular bias that wasn’t inclusive of other factual evidence that other posters were providing. 

Anyway, good article:

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/19/canucks-steal-7th-round-swedish-lucas-forsell/

I consider myself some sort of scale here. If the discussion tips too far in one direction I gladly help out with correcting that.

Loui and Dahlen was painted as the worst people on this forum.

I widened the picture a bit due to I know more about swedes and swedish interviews. 
I can’t do that with NA players…

I would love if Timrå could be an affiliate club to the Canucks.

Talk about boost for Petey and the chance to pick up players that are the new Petey, Zetterberg, Forsberg, Sedins, Näslundx2, Lill-Strimma, Hammarström. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Apparently Dahlen was hurt yest vs Wash. I've read shoulder & arm..but heard the coach stated he's merely day to day.

We'll have to measure this yr to yr, ultimately hoping that LK exceeds Dahlen's game. Is this kid brittle? Who knows..but if memory serves, he was frequently dinged up as a Comet.

He’s a small player and Benning has filled the quota for small players times 2.

I like hockey to be played but the stupid system that says the longer the playoff goes the less does the judge interfer isn’t about hockey.

So small players isn’t worth much in the playoffs.

Hughes will be crushed if we reach the semi so we have to have players that can take over when we get there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He has 21 points in 27 games in the SHL as a 22 year old. 

He’s pretty much on a neck and neck developmental path with Dahlen, besides the fact that he decided to play in Sweden’s top league where Dahlen was in the 2nd league. 

This is an admirably great take down of a proposition which cannot stand the power of such a logical answer.

Canucks win in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

This is an admirably great take down of a proposition which cannot stand the power of such a logical answer.

Canucks win in the long run.

Dahlen wasn't going to play games as a Canuck. Who's fault that is doesn't matter, as the truth is it was everyone involved fault. The entire situation was handled poorly. Dahlen was turned into Karlsson, who is having a decent run in Sweden, and does have a chance of playing games as a Canuck in the future. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Hoping Canucks will bring Karlsson over to north america next season to play in the AHL and be an option for call up during the year if he adjusts well to the game here/rink size.

The optics on paper right now though, they look real bad considering what Dahlen is doing and his bestie type friendship with EP...oh well only time will tell, so lets wait

On 11/21/2021 at 3:19 AM, Timråfan said:

If you understood what I was talking about it’s about Benning, Cull and development of prospects.

We had a lot of prospects when I joined this forum the year Petey started here and how many are still here?

It’s either been a disaster at Utica or fans have an really unhealthy bias on how good the prospects are.

Timrafan, you've caught a lot of heat over the years on this forum but I'm glad you're still here.  

It's not just our fans that have a bias towards prospects, pretty much all fans do in other organizations/sports.  

He only has 14hrs in 25 games… what’s the big deal? He’s not ELITE. He’s more of a Grabner type. Will have a successful career and will be a serviceable player.

I’d rather have Garland.

Edited by Me_

22 minutes ago, Me_ said:

He only has 14hrs in 25 games… what’s the big deal? He’s not ELITE. He’s more of a Grabner type. Will have a successful career and will be a serviceable player.

I’d rather have Garland.

So he's getting over 33mins per game? No wonder he got injured. ::D

As it stands Dahlen is obviously the more valuable player, but considering the situation at the time and the potential Karlsson has it still doesn't look like that bad a deal to me. Could be nucks ultimately come out on top but won't know for sure for a couple of years minimum.

• Vintage 1

On 11/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, Timråfan said:

I consider myself some sort of scale here. If the discussion tips too far in one direction I gladly help out with correcting that.

Loui and Dahlen was painted as the worst people on this forum.

I widened the picture a bit due to I know more about swedes and swedish interviews. 
I can’t do that with NA players…

I would love if Timrå could be an affiliate club to the Canucks.

Talk about boost for Petey and the chance to pick up players that are the new Petey, Zetterberg, Forsberg, Sedins, Näslundx2, Lill-Strimma, Hammarström. 

Loui, yes. Deservedly so though. For a player that was paid 6 mil, the word "underperformed" is an understatement.

Maybe few people didn't like how Dahlen wanted out but I think that was fine. He didn't like the way he was developed and he had to look out for himself with his career just starting.

And hey, he was right. Our development system was flawed.

So many failed examples. I still think failed development of Juolevi is on the Canucks (of course the injuries as well).

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, SKTDH said:

Dahlen is having a damn good season with the Sharks. Where is Linus Karlsson even? 

Given the Canucks development failures of the past, it's best for him to continue to develop in Sweden.

I'm sure he will come over when he's ready.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, SKTDH said:

Dahlen is having a damn good season with the Sharks. Where is Linus Karlsson even? 

It seems like Dahlen was having a damn good streak, and he's cooled off in the last 10+ games (1g 4a, if I added the numbers up correctly). Maybe he'll warm it up again.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1