The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Look at Utica, lots of kids in and out of the lineup cause there are so many of them. Are you even paying attention? Lol

Eh, they played the vets and sub par "grinders" as much as possible and benched Gadj, Jasek, Dhalen, Palmu etc

It sure seems like it hasn't been about developing young players but more so just winning at all cost with veterans and AHL for life players.

Also the whole Huges is joining canucks right after his season is done might be a bit of a kick in the upside down bag, why wouldn't they do that with Dhalen etc.

and ZM got a call up, but not Dhalen, Jasek? 

Edited by shad0w4life

1 minute ago, stawns said:

well, the standings say otherwise.

Perhaps. But the AHL isn't necessarily about winning. I think it's about winning with your young guns. Dahlèn should've been a big part of that. But apparently wasn't according to the regime in Utica. I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlèn flourished with SJ. 

Just now, shad0w4life said:

Eh, they played the vets and sub par "grinders" as much as possible and benched Gadj, Jasek, Dhalen, Palmu etc

It sure seems like it hasn't been about developing young players but more so just winning at all cost with veterans and AHL for life players.

Yeah. I'd have an issue with that then. Don't expect your young players to flourish if you're playing them ahead of veterans and career AHL players. If I was a young player. I'm not sure if I'd wanna stick around either if I felt like management wasn't in favor of developing me properly. 

2 minutes ago, babalu said:

Fair enough. Personally I had the thought at a few points this season that it wouldn't have hurt to give him a look at the NHL level when we had injuries or struggling players. Maybe this turns out to be shink 2.0 but maybe not and we end up watchin Dahlen turn into a good player for a Western conference rival.

he's a long, long way from being NHL ready

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, shad0w4life said:

Ideally you want your kids to help you win, but clearly a few of them are just a few steps back of that. I mean, most of us knew that guys like Dahlen, Gadj and Lind won't seamlessly adjust. Gadj has been known to have skating issues. Dahlen is adjusting to American ice. And the speed of the game is tough for any Junior player to adjust to. They are competing with pro players and with each other and spots in the lineup just aren't there. I can see why players may want out.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I'd have an issue with that then. Don't expect your young players to flourish if you're playing them ahead of veterans and career AHL players. If I was a young player. I'm not sure if I'd wanna stick around either if I felt like management wasn't in favor of developing me properly. 

no one gets gifted ice time.  If they were better than the vets and the grinders, they would have played more than them.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm extremely disappointed that Dahlen wanted out, but he hadn't earned an NHL job yet. Just didn't think he was that type of guy.That being said, I really feel we could have moved him in the offseason for something more significant than what we got. 

but, if they surveyed other teams on a potential deal, which sounds like the case and this was the best deal presented, why would that change in a few weeks? 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where you think he’s a joke or not. It’s evident that he apparently knows more than the majority he and whether you disagree agree with him, his opinion is more credible. 

nah....I stopped listening to 1040 as soon as 650 took over as Canucks radio.   Rick Dhaliwal is great, reliable source. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm extremely disappointed that Dahlen wanted out, but he hadn't earned an NHL job yet. Just didn't think he was that type of guy.That being said, I really feel we could have moved him in the offseason for something more significant than what we got. 

Does seem like a rushed move. This deal still would have been there in the offseason in all likelihood and other deals as well. Dahlen's agent even said the idea of a trade came up recently.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I know next to nothing about Linus Karlsson, but it sounds like he is a decent prospect.  I am just concerned how EP40 thinks that his buddy has been traded away.  Hopefully its nothing to worry about.

But he gets a shiny new Swede to play with ;)