The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

1 minute ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Hardly. Kid thought he should’ve been called up to the NHL when he had done nothing to deserve a call up. Sounds like entitlement to me. Ask Gaudette, MacEwen or Sautner if Utica was bad for their development.

So you trade the kid away for nothing. Dumb, I have to blame the crappy Utica staff. Utica seems like it’s grown a bad cancer environment there. It’s gotta be the Staff with no people player skills.

• Wat 1

Listening to 1040 they just had a former NHLer and current seedish broadcaster who talked to Karlsson's coach today. 

So the coach says Karlsson is 2 or 3 years from making the SHL 

Needs to get stronger and improve his skating..  

He's a lottery ticket.  Going to be a long term project....

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

So you trade the kid away for nothing. Dumb, I have to blame the crappy Utica staff. Utica seems like it’s grown a bad cancer environment there. It’s gotta be the Staff with no people player skills.

Dumb is assuming a player you know nothing about is nothing. And overreacting about one players trade request. 

As for Palmu players aren't dumb they know that Europe is just as viable to be beneficial to their development as the AHL is. I wouldn't rush to judgement on Cull and the staff down there. Everyone else Gaudette, Brisebois, Kero, Gaunce, Sautner has said great things about Utica and the staff there. 

Team 1040 those guys are such a joke. Karlsson's coach says he is technically solid but really needs to get stronger. His strength shows in his play. it would effect a center more than a winger. He is two years younger then Dahlen. 6' 1" and 178 lb. Time will tell.

He also said he was 2 to 3 years away from the men's league.  

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

nothing?  For a kid they almost drafted last year with better size, a cman and a solid two way player who can fit into many spots, rather than top 6 or nothing.  I liked Dahlen, but he has a long, long way to go.

10 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

ignore my last post, I completely forgot what an absolute tool you are and thought you were on my ignore list.  Be gone troll

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Listening to 1040 they just had a former NHLer and current seedish broadcaster who talked to Karlsson's coach today. 

Yeah a lot of the scouting reports I read said the same thing. Project player.

I will have to trust JB but in the surface I don’t like the deal 

Who gives a rats a$$ what Cull thinks? He is a minor league hockey coach and will never amount to more. Not like Utica is lighting it under his “masterful” coaching 

Edited by canuck2288

1 hour ago, BO_Scorvat said:

I got a feeling something bad is going on coaching wise in Utica

I wish they would move the team closer .. is there a way they can move them to Abbotsford? Hate that the flames have them as the farm . Would be nice to have them in our backyard to keep a close eye on them .

37 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Palmu is a 7th round OA player who was stuck between the echl and the a.  Rodin had the worst injury luck of any player I can remember and Trymakin was miss handled.  

Trymakin left and a fair amount of the blame can lie at WD's feet.  Would like to see that resolved one way or another.  

From what he said I certainly think it is concerning that the communication between players and coaches was that poor.  Not unlike what I have heard other young players say similar things to the junior guys.  Make sure you get all the development you can in the juniors because there is none coming in the NHL.

Tryamkin though needs to share a lot of the blame.  He came in out of shape, remember Bo pushing hip up the grind.  They had to skate him half a season to get him up to NHL fitness standards.  He refused to play in the minors even on a conditioning stint.  He ran back to Russia and his quotes about the city and the organization were not flattering.  Currently he had the C stripped and is frequently scratched in Russia.

It is inexcusable though for similar communication breakdowns to happen in the A.  It is about teaching young men to play in a professional system but also to develop them physically and mentally.  This takes a team and a lot of communication.  Now maybe this is on Dahlen, it seems like we were pretty fair to him.  As to Cull, I haven't seen enough Comets games to comment.  It is frustrating though to see the promising group of young forwards we started the year with not really doing much in the A collectively.

I hope Karlsson is a really good player.

Just now, stawns said:

nothing?  For a kid they almost drafted last year with better size, a cman and a solid two way player who can fit into many spots, rather than top 6 or nothing.  I liked Dahlen, but he has a long, long way to go.

I guess we’ll find out 5+ years from now. 

but Right now I think this was a dumb trade. 

Benning. 

Why trade Dahlen, a LW who pretty much singlehandedly  brought his 2nd league swedish team to promotion and has been a PPG for 2 seasons there for a center which we have lots of and has 17 points in nearly 50 games.

Absolutely pointless trade. Furious right now.

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I know literally nothing about Karlsson other than his elite prospects profile; but this seems like a clear loss on paper, no?

this is either gunna go down like the shinkaruk trade or go down like the McCann trade

I’d say more like the Shinkaruk trade or the Forsling trade. 

Anyhow, couldn’t make much sense of this at first. Did some research on Karlsson and it sounds like he could be a player, and we gain a couple years of development. Whatever Dahlen’s issue was, I’m going to hope it works out for us of course. 

3 hours ago, Spoosh said:

I was hoping we could have seen what Dahlen could have done with the big team. 

But excited about the return. Linus has some serius skill so sounds great.

From the sounds of it Dahlen wasn't happy 'developing' in the AHL and felt he should be playing in the NHL now. He requested a trade and if guys are going to act entitled then we are better off getting what we can for them. I can't comment on Linus as I haven't watched him play. But I trust our Swedish scouts and our GM.

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Another note....

Dahlen would need to be protected from Seattle. Linus does not and the Canucks have 3 more years to sign him to an ELC. This is definitely a long term move. 

This also opens up a contract spot so we could sign an extra college free agent if we want.

Edited by coryberg
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Eliteprospects says he’s a center, good in the dot, good hockey sense and great character. Sounds like a Benning guy.

Sooo..:in three years we have somebody to replace Beagle in the system instead of a top six L Winger which now we have zero prospects for?  This is a major head scratcher, Dahlen was better than Karlsson at the same age, and was turning into one of the better forwards in UTICA...he’s not far off now.  I see a lot of posts saying Dahlen won’t make it, I wonder how many of those posters went to any Comet games this year and are just parroting junk.  I really don’t get this deal at all, I said earlier something else must be going on, since we got him the trade comes up as a fleecing often (recent THN mag and they’ve talked about it several times as one of Bennings best moves), and we just let him go for no apparent reason.  What’s next?  Hammerstron was high on both EP and Dahlen and he’s our guy in Sweden, I wonder what he thinks about this and this kid Karlsson.  He better get better and fast, or this could come back and bite Benning in the ass big time.

Just now, IBatch said:

Sooo..:in three years we have somebody to replace Beagle in the system instead of a top six L Winger which now we have zero prospects for?  This is a major head scratcher, Dahlen was better than Karlsson at the same age, and was turning into one of the better forwards in UTICA...he’s not far off now.  I see a lot of posts saying Dahlen won’t make it, I wonder how many of those posters went to any Comet games this year and are just parroting junk.  I really don’t get this deal at all, I said earlier something else must be going on, since we got him the trade comes up as a fleecing often (recent THN mag and they’ve talked about it several times as one of Bennings best moves), and we just let him go for no apparent reason.  What’s next?  Hammerstron was high on both EP and Dahlen and he’s our guy in Sweden, I wonder what he thinks about this and this kid Karlsson.  He better get better and fast, or this could come back and bite Benning in the ass big time.

I’m a Dahlen guy myself. Just sayin’ the guy we got is pretty decent. Not a fan of crying over spilled milk. I could see Dahlen pulling a Nazzy in San Jose. But would rather cheer/root for the guy we got. He has some promise. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

And Dahlen put his team on his back and relegated it up into the SHL last season.  WTF is going on?  This is a backwards move no matter angle it’s viewed from, unless there are locker room or other issues that aren’t been made public.

• Upvote 1