The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

My initial reaction is not favourable.  I really thought Dahlen was going to be a top six guy for us.

But Benning has been generally right about the players he ships off and has also been good with his scouts - especially in Sweden.  If he feels Dahlen wasnt going to work out then I trust him.  For now.

• Upvote 1

Huh,  so a down grade. Great. And he’s not even a defensive prospect lol. Just brutal. 

They gave up on dalhen fast,a good move by SJS. 

Trading youth for youth like trading  gagme for spooner.... nothing gained a trade for the sake of  a trade. 

benning era “it is what it is.” 

• Wat 5

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

My initial reaction is not favourable.  I really thought Dahlen was going to be a top six guy for us.

But Benning has been generally right about the players he ships off and has also been good with his scouts - especially in Sweden.  If he feels Dahlen wasnt going to work out then I trust him.  For now.

Yeah like frosling and clendening “nailed it”. 

Just now, combover said:

Huh,  so a down grade. Great. And he’s not even a defensive prospect lol. Just brutal. 

Trading youth for youth like trading  gagme for spooner.... nothing gained a trade for the sake of  a trade. 

I have a very hard time believing that you watch enough Swedish hockey to know the difference between these two guys. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Not saying he’s bad defensively, but Dahlen definitely had an edge there.

Oh, definitely. I would compare Karlsson's game sort of to Horvat from a few years ago when he was strong in the offensive end but struggled at times in his own zone.

He has the tools to be something really good though.

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I have so much faith in Gradin as a scout, that I can't help but be excited when we pick up a prospect still playing in Sweden.

pretty much what my first thought as well, need to trust that Gradin see's an upgrade here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1.png Linus Karlsson 

PLAYER FACTSUpdate Profile
  • Position
    C
  • Height
    6'1" / 186 cm
  • Weight
    187 lbs / 85 kg
  • Shoots
    R
  • Contract
    18/19

Good size and goal scoring ability. Has fine hands and overall offensive skills. Very good hockey sense and great character. (EP 2018)

Brother: Hampus Karlsson

Nice shot and combines that with his ability to read developing holes in the offensive zone.. quality game from faceoff dots to end-boards, Draftin Europe 2018

5 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

18 years old and had a nice long stint in the SHL recording a point and being a positive player according to that bio.

Really intriguing honestly.  Now barely 19 and playing in a mens league again and doing decent by any standards.  Time will tell but I'm not upset at this at all

Nice find Dangles

Karlsson led the SuperElit, the Swedish junior league, in goal scoring. He also finished second in points behind only Jonatan Berggren, a Detroit second rounder some had ranked in the first. Karlsson got into 13 games for the SHL’s Karlskrona HK, he only posted a single assist but just playing in the SHL is a positive for an 18 year old player. Karlsson is an offensive player, he possesses a good shot, good hands and he has the size that won’t hurt his chances of developing into an NHLer. 

• Accomplishments/Awards:
  • 2017-2018
    • J20 SuperElit (Forts) Most Goals (14)
    • J20 SuperElit (Forts) Most Points (27)
    • J20 SuperElit (Overall) Most Goals (27)
    • J20 SuperElit Best Forward

Draft breakdown as per Canucks Army:

So, let’s talk about some of these crazy numbers and I’ll get to the standard boxcar stats below. His involvement percentage of 41.6% is crazy good for any player and unless I am mistaken, is the highest of the 100 players we have ranked. The high percentage is common with players in the SuperElit as the really good players stand out but was still ~5% higher than a prospect like Dominik Bokk.

Another number that jumps of the page is the GF%REL of +24.9% – which shows that when Karlsson wasn’t on the ice, the Karlskrona J20 team was struggling. His personal GF% isn’t great but given that his team had a -36 goal differential and the GF%Rel and INV% is so strong, it indicates that the offence was going through Karlsson and if he wasn’t on the ice, they weren’t scoring.

His shot generation was through the roof and all of his stats are in the upper percentiles. He saw in a dip in his GF% in the middle part of the season but then slowly climbed as he consistently put up points.

His icetime just increased as the season went along as the coaching staff clearly were riding his offensive production and play.

The GF% and GFREL% stuck out to me as being odd, as how can a player with good but not extraordinary GF% have such a drastic difference when compared to his teammates. The raw numbers for Karlsson at 5v5 play this season were:

With him on the ice: 59% (+42/-29) With him on the bench: 34% (+37/-71)

Just reinforces how much of an impact the draft-eligible centre had on the offence of the Karlskrona J20 team.  Karlsson mostly played with Schreiber, Nordstrand and Henbrant at 5v5 and they were the only ones to not get destroyed while on the ice:

linus-karlsson-seal-chart-superelit.png?w=841

linus-karlsson-pgps-bubbles-superelit.png?w=910

linus-karlsson-pgps-bubbles-shl.png?w=910

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, combover said:

Please explain in valid detail why this trade is a downgrade. 

I remember these boards when Shinkaruk got dealt. It was like the sky was falling and we traded our Kane to our Toews (Horvat). Clearly there’s more to this than we know. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1