The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

1 minute ago, Blömqvist said:

Maybe they should've kept Dahlen with his team to play in the SHL; Maybe the SHL could've been Dahlen's next developmental league instead of the AHL.

Wonder if that was ever addressed in the meetings between management and Benning. Palmu went back to the Liiga no? This trade screams all kinds of rushed but if Benning and company wanted to go another way may as well act on it now. 

10 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm pretty torn on this trade. I really was starting to like his game in Utica. I'm never a fan of young players who have earned nothing demanding trades. I'm old school where you shut up, play hard, earn your minutes, and earn your call up...sounds like he was not willing to do that. So in that sense, good bye and good riddance, and good luck. I don't want anyone on this team who isn't willing to put the work in. OTT and now VAN, something is up with this kid. Oh well, welcome to the team Linus :towel:

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That and he asked out because he thinks he should be in the NHL

Again he didn't demand to play in the NHL and didn't demand Ice Time

Cull said he wasn't pleased with Dhalens development and Dhalen felt he wasn't developing very well and asked for a trade.  Shut up and play hard when your coach keeps telling you that you suck?

if your spouse tells you you're garbage in bed and has been cheating on you, you can stick around but really I'd request a divorce and GTFO into a place where I know I'm not hated.

Edited by shad0w4life

8 minutes ago, babalu said:

Why is it ridiculous. Spooner has been terrible this year and got 1st line ice time with EP without earning it. I am not saying Dahlen would have stuck with the nucks but he deserved a look in my opinion.

Based on that logic yes, but step back and think of the precedent it sets. Player "a" not ready in the eyes of the team, player "a" complains and thinks he is and should be up in the bigs. If not called up wants to be traded. I don't think the Nucks could do anything but trade him. Every player 'believes' they are ready, most aren't. You have to earn your way up. If he indeed demanded a trade at this point (given he's only shown about 20 games worth of AHL level good talent), probably not the character you want in your group. You can't succumb to an entitlement attitude

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Wonder if that was ever addressed in the meetings between management and Benning. Palmu went back to the Liiga no? This trade screams all kinds of rushed but if Benning and company wanted to go another way may as well act on it now. 

You sir are correct. Palmu did go back to Liiga earlier this season. Also, last season Juolevi went from North America to Europe (CHL to Liiga). I'm purely speculating here, but with Benning historically giving prospects an opportunity to develop in other leagues, was the relationship between management and Dahlen's camp soured so much that his camp demanded a trade?

Just now, Blömqvist said:

You sir are correct. Palmu did go back to Liiga earlier this season. Also, last season Juolevi went from North America to Europe (CHL to Liiga). I'm purely speculating here, but with Benning historically giving prospects an opportunity to develop in other leagues, was the relationship between management and Dahlen's camp soured so much that his camp demanded a trade?

If the agent's word has any shred of truth, it didn't seem that urgent. He just said they were discussing how to fix the tension between Dahlen and the organization and the thought of a trade was a recent addition to talks. But maybe it really did go south hard and Dahlen straight up wanted out.

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's possible, but using the same logic, this deal likely would have still been on the table in the offseason as well. Why not wait and see if you can do better?

good point. I suppose now is when GMs are looking at moves, later in the summer things take longer? I suppose in talking with the amateur scouting group if they felt the ceilings were the same then I suppose its a case of why not now? in any case we're probably looking at 2-3 years before we know who won this deal. 

If Dahlen thought he was ready and really wasn't this is best.  This way Dahlen gets a fresh start and Pettersson doesn't get dragged into an ongoing saga and constant grilling from the media.   If I remember correctly JP Barry is a very outspoken agent and this could have gotten ugly and become a lingering distraction. 

I saw Dahlen as somewhat gifted offensively but not a complete 200 foot player and from some reports a bit soft.  That can be frustrating for these young players who have had success, especially if your coaches are trying to get you to play a 200 foot game and it stifles your offense - initially.   Pettersson has committed to a 200 foot game.  That impresses me the most of what he has shown this year.  It bodes well. 

The interesting thing is that Dahlen appears to now be behind a serious log jam in San Jose.  This is likely not his last stop before the NHL unless he surprises.  Careful what you wish for.  From what I understand and have read Karlsson is a gamer with skill.  Greene has a vision and I hope he has the time and players to get there before he's gone.  

• Upvote 1

It sounds like there was a few discussions between management and his agent. This sounds like a Cody Hodgeson type player.   You don't waist a lot of time with that.

I would rather have a fresh start. Karlsson sounds like a potential  two way center. You never have enough centers.

• Upvote 2