The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't this so typical in Canuckland. I am certainly hoping this 'immediate demand' for prospect success is over in Vancouver. My hope is that all players coming into the org, without NHL experience, spend 25-40 games in Abby before they see a NHL game. Rushing players into the NHL can hurt the player and the Canucks long term. 

Yep they’re so bad hey :bigblush:

38 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - those AHL games sure helped Petey get off to a 10 goals in 10 games start to his NHL career. ^_^

Little bit tongue in cheek ... I agree in principle, but occasiomally talent will trump the norm.  Not saying that LK has EPs talent, but he did break EPs SHL rookie record (albeit older).  2 things that will hold LK back are his lack of foot speed and his unfamiliarity with NHL-sized rinks,  both of which will be remedied by games in Abbotsford.  For sure he'll see a few games this season with the big club, but likely not as a center

PA addressed these issues and Karlsson's development in his post-Free Agency presser; went into quite a bit of detail, rink size, skating improvements, etc.

Don't know how to find it, or I'd re-post it for you.

A year or two in Sweden post-draft is very good for our Swedish picks and prospects.

Not quite as good in Finland, but still pretty good; and they keep prospects out of the CHL and their 20 years old rule.

Letterkenny is going back for at least one year and he probably won't see any Abby time either.

Podz's time in the KHL might have also allowed him to serve and clear the Military Service rule that has caught a couple players.

40 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - those AHL games sure helped Petey get off to a 10 goals in 10 games start to his NHL career. ^_^

Little bit tongue in cheek ... I agree in principle, but occasiomally talent will trump the norm.  Not saying that LK has EPs talent, but he did break EPs SHL rookie record (albeit older).  2 things that will hold LK back are his lack of foot speed and his unfamiliarity with NHL-sized rinks,  both of which will be remedied by games in Abbotsford.  For sure he'll see a few games this season with the big club, but likely not as a center

I’m definitely not ruling out the possibility of Karlsson making the team out of camp and having immediate success.

I’d just be shocked if that happened (starting) at the 3C spot.

As a RW, I think he has a chance, depending on how he looks at main camp.

Petey also played many more shifts as a centre in Allsvenskan and SHL than Karlsson, before coming over. 

• Like 1

I believe it's important for Karlsson to get in as many pre season games that he can & play him with skill appropriate line mates. The problem is that Vcr now has an overage of wingers

Edited by Fred65

On 7/19/2022 at 12:28 AM, NHL'er said:

Some food for thought. Alex Burrows gave us Linus Karlsson :)

That has to bode well for him in my eyes and my wife says they are my best feature. B)::D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of potential in Karlsson for sure.  I see that Elite Prospects have him at 6'1 @ 194lbs, so hopefully the

real weight is closer to that, then the 178lbs in this article.

I am a little disappointed that he was switched from C, as there is more competition for him at RW.  Still,

I think he has a chance to make the team at some point during this season.  Apparently very good at

face offs, which might come in handy at some point; especially since he is a right shooter.

He played some 2nd PK in Sweden, so he does have some defensive acumen.

Half of his goals were scored on the PP.

If the Canucks do end up trading Miller I think Karlsson would slide right in as our 3rd line centre.  He has lit it up in his last 2 seasons and he finished 9th in scoring in the SHL last year and that’s no joke.  Play him with Hoglander and Mikheyev.  Put him with gritty forwards and see what happens.  

Garland - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Karlsson - Mikheyev

Pearson - Lazar - Joshua 

not bad even without Miller.  People are sleeping on Karlsson’s stats in the SHL.  Dobber has him projected as a top 6 forward.  He wasn’t bad defensively and if he’s partnered up with a defensive forward like Mikheyev and a gritty shifty player like Hoglander, I’d be curious to see how they’d do.   

9CEA1E6C-75B8-42C8-9D9B-4DDEA4927EB6.jpeg

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

If the Canucks do end up trading Miller I think Karlsson would slide right in as our 3rd line centre.  He has lit it up in his last 2 seasons and he finished 9th in scoring in the SHL last year and that’s no joke.  Play him with Hoglander and Mikheyev.  Put him with gritty forwards and see what happens.  

Garland - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Karlsson - Mikheyev

Pearson - Lazar - Joshua 

not bad even without Miller.  People are sleeping on Karlsson’s stats in the SHL.  Dobber has him projected as a top 6 forward.  He wasn’t bad defensively and if he’s partnered up with a defensive forward like Mikheyev and a gritty shifty player like Hoglander, I’d be curious to see how they’d do.   

9CEA1E6C-75B8-42C8-9D9B-4DDEA4927EB6.jpeg

Even though Karlsson is listed as a center and was drafted as a center, he has primarily played the past two seasons on the wing (he can interchange between LW and RW). The only time he saw center duty was on the powerplay where he occasionally took some faceoffs.  

At this stage, I wouldn't consider him a center option for the NHL. Even though he has had SHL success, he still has a ways to go before you can consider him a reliable top 9 piece in the NHL, let alone a top 9 center in this league. To put him into a third line position with Hoglander (who in his own respects may have trouble cracking the NHL roster and has his own defensive deficiencies that landed him in Boudreau's dog house) is asking for a defensive mess. Not a chance Boudreau, Allvin, or the development staff are going to throw this kid to the wolves or compromise his development like that. At the development camp scrimmage he lined up on the right wing as Chase Wouters centered his line. Its a pretty good indication that they don't view him as a center and his trajectory will be on the wing.

Expectations need to be tempered here. I have been banging on his drum for the past two seasons as someone to keep an eye on, but realistically he still needs to refine his game, which would be better served in the AHL to start.  Don't make the same mistake of rushing him into the lineup like they did with Hoglander (IMO has shown that he probably should've started his career in the AHL with Utica not with Vancouver), its okay to let some prospects marinate and mature. We have options to serve as a stop gap until Karlsson proves himself ready to rejoin the parent club.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1

A player of interest for sure and a one that has improved better than I expected. The next question is where will his development best be served. I'm not sure if Abbotsford will be a winning enviroment. I tend to believe coaching will improve in Abby but the kid did well in the SEL and has to have some confidence

I've said elsewhere, for kicks and giggles Boudreau will throw out at camp scrimmages a line of Hoglander-Pettersson-Karlsson, and they will blow everyone away with their chemistry.  He'll try it in an exhibition game, and they'll be dynamite.

You heard it here first!!!!!

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Needs to really put in the work on his skating like Bo did.

Might get away with average skating in other leagues but it won’t fly in the NHL.

Not quite the same situation as it was with Bo.

He has that extra gear, like most Swedes do.  Petey has it, as did Naslund (like most European players do who grew up playing on the Olympic size rinks). They play consistently at around 80 - 85% of their potential, but can crank it up when needed -  LK showed that at prospects' camp.

What they need to adjust to, with the smaller rink, is how much faster everything is ... D-men closing gaps, forecheckers, etc.  Biggest hurdle for them is to learn to go at 100% or thereabouts all the time.  It's noticeable how much more ready the Europeans are who have played in the Canadian junior leagues, and are used to the smaller rinks.  More and more clubs in Europe are changing to a smaller rink - more commonly the Finnish standard than the NHL, but close enough to not be a factor when transitioning from one to the other.

I am sure that LK will be able to keep up.  For sure he'll have Petey and Hoagie on his case if he doesn't 

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Even though Karlsson is listed as a center and was drafted as a center, he has primarily played the past two seasons on the wing (he can interchange between LW and RW). The only time he saw center duty was on the powerplay where he occasionally took some faceoffs.  

At this stage, I wouldn't consider him a center option for the NHL. Even though he has had SHL success, he still has a ways to go before you can consider him a reliable top 9 piece in the NHL, let alone a top 9 center in this league. To put him into a third line position with Hoglander (who in his own respects may have trouble cracking the NHL roster and has his own defensive deficiencies that landed him in Boudreau's dog house) is asking for a defensive mess. Not a chance Boudreau, Allvin, or the development staff are going to throw this kid to the wolves or compromise his development like that. At the development camp scrimmage he lined up on the right wing as Chase Wouters centered his line. Its a pretty good indication that they don't view him as a center and his trajectory will be on the wing.

Expectations need to be tempered here. I have been banging on his drum for the past two seasons as someone to keep an eye on, but realistically he still needs to refine his game, which would be better served in the AHL to start.  Don't make the same mistake of rushing him into the lineup like they did with Hoglander (IMO has shown that he probably should've started his career in the AHL with Utica not with Vancouver), its okay to let some prospects marinate and mature. We have options to serve as a stop gap until Karlsson proves himself ready to rejoin the parent club.

Canucks need to change him back if possible.  They drafted Petey as a Centre and he played on the right side in his year with Vaxjo.  so it's been done before, even Miller didn't play much at centre until he was put on the lotto line with Petey.   Karlsson really good at faceoffs, if hes playing with a defensive forward like Mikheyev that could work.