The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 25, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

It will be interesting how well this defense plays without Guddy. What if Guddy was worse then any of us thought.

I will not be swayed by all of the noise out there. I want to wait and see how they look without him. Time will show us the truth.

Very well said... There is a lot of noise from both sides... time will tell.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Glad to see people are noticing the effectiveness of Biega and how he seems to have helped Pouliot with his game as well. He is no top 4 but he plays his role quite nicely. Great effort by the team last night I just hope they can learn to play like that on a more consistent basis. I think Peteys work ethic is rubbing off on others which is good to see.

Biega seems to have the magic touch for Pouliot. Pouliot has looked way more comfortable being paired with AB. Will have to see them play against a heavy forechecking  team. So far, so good !

Missed the game, how did Schenn look on the back end?

Just reading on nhl.com that he was +1, 3 SOG, 4 hits, 15 mins TOI as well as a SH shift. Know the knock on him was always his foot speed, just wondering how he looked in his decision making and 1st pass?

25 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

We need pics, bro. 

:ph34r:

Heard it was on social media.  Basically the camera panned on them and they were like "Oh @#$%" and picked up the phones and pretended to be taking calls.  

Schenns knock has been foot speed. But at one point in the second he lost a forechecker with a tight turn and foot speed. Guddy has not done that at all in the years he was here. If he plays like he did last night not only is it a bonus but it makes our back end decent. Plus he is a big body who has what appears to me a little more game sense! 

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

OMG! 

We're both so charged up from that game!

Marky shutout

Amazing team game

Bo with two GOALS (loved his game tonight)

Petey with two apples

Motte was &^@#ing wicked

Schenn and Sautner both played great

The crowd around us, in section 119, was engaged and pretty damn awesome

THERE WAS AN ACTUAL WAVE THAT LASTED A FEW LAPS!!!! Haven't seen that in years

What a fantastic experience for my son, at his first live Canucks game, and me because I got to take him!

That was &^@#ing wicked. My son is bouncing around the hotel room with an apple in one hand and a pepperoni cheese bun in the other.. The kid is on fire! 

Good times. I'll never forget this night

Post of the day.

Really really pleased for you amigo. 

Few things in life you remember forever...  your first proper live sporting event being one of them...you never forget the buzz...never.

Just wonderful that you got to share this experience with your boy.

Great it was a game with lots of goals and the right winner. He will treasure this night forever, as will you.. Good on you both.

I am so impressed with Hutton and Stecher. Hutton has done a 180 deg turn around. You can see that he plays with confidence and I honestly think he is getting better game by game. Hutton has the mobility and quickness for todays game. He also has the size and if he continues to maintain a high level of fitness he might be very durable over the long hall. The biggest question now is whether he can handle the mental side of the game. He used to be so fragile. 

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

No way man!! They still got Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, Silverberg, Kesler, Fowler, Gibson, Lindholm... that's a Stanley Cup contender (on paper) right there!!

This post brought back some memories. No way we have Sedin ,Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, Kesler, Bieska, Edler, Tanev, The Honey Badger and more. I see your disbelief when your stuck in the past and the team you are watching is now at the bottom of the NHL. And most of the players your team is left with aren't worth 2nd round draft picks! 

Anyone who is excited about Benning re working his defense for next year. Most of the work is done now with Guddy gone. I hear Benning continue to say Joulevi and Hughes. That's 2 of 8. Pouliot is probably gone. Having a defenseman for offence who has basically the point total of a shut-down defenseman,( with-out the shut down size etc ). He will be gone. Maybe they go after 1 free agent. But you can kind of see the defense being different by default! 

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

OMG! 

We're both so charged up from that game!

Marky shutout

Amazing team game

Bo with two GOALS (loved his game tonight)

Petey with two apples

Motte was &^@#ing wicked

Schenn and Sautner both played great

The crowd around us, in section 119, was engaged and pretty damn awesome

THERE WAS AN ACTUAL WAVE THAT LASTED A FEW LAPS!!!! Haven't seen that in years

What a fantastic experience for my son, at his first live Canucks game, and me because I got to take him!

That was &^@#ing wicked. My son is bouncing around the hotel room with an apple in one hand and a pepperoni cheese bun in the other.. The kid is on fire! 

Good times. I'll never forget this night

FANtastic!!

This is so great...I am thrilled for you and your son.   Makes me very nostalgic about games with my son...the best times of my life.   What a great post this is...I'm feelin' it.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

Missed the game, how did Schenn look on the back end?

Just reading on nhl.com that he was +1, 3 SOG, 4 hits, 15 mins TOI as well as a SH shift. Know the knock on him was always his foot speed, just wondering how he looked in his decision making and 1st pass?

Note that we were facing the Ducks, a slow uncreative team. 

But Schenn looked like an immediate improvement over Guddy. His skating isn't great, but not nearly as bad as I thought. I suspect it'll be more noticeable against faster, more skilled teams. 

His physical game is pretty solid as well, it's clear he plays with an edge. His shot, while not anything to write home about, is accurate, and he's not hesitant to shoot.

Overall, an excellent start. He could carve out a solid 6th D spot if he keeps it up, or provide a valuable veteran D presence down in Utica.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just here to remind you again, in case you missed it

Ryan Kesler is making $6.8 million per year

Ryan Kesler has 7 points in 54 games 

Ryan Kesler is making essentially $917,000 per point this year give it take

Lol.........

kesler has handcuffed the ducks. iam glad he walked away and did what he did or we would have two loui's right now

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think Tanev and Sutter get moved at the draft.

Sutter, maybe, if he can somehow make it back to finish this year decently. But there's no timeline on him coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shut down for this year to get healthy.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I am so impressed with Hutton and Stecher. Hutton has done a 180 deg turn around. You can see that he plays with confidence and I honestly think he is getting better game by game. Hutton has the mobility and quickness for todays game. He also has the size and if he continues to maintain a high level of fitness he might be very durable over the long hall. The biggest question now is whether he can handle the mental side of the game. He used to be so fragile. 

Hutton was fantastic last night.  Stetch was......efficient, but I don't see him being a permanent fixture in the top 4 at any point in his career, he's simply too small and easily out muscled.  Hutton though, what a turn around.

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

It's true. I've also enjoyed seeing the D-zone patience(slowing play down w/puck) been seeing from youngins' like BH & TS. Feel like they've adopted Tanev & Edler traits/ elements(osmosis?) to their games.

Quite hard to measure these things(can't really)..but I'd say holding onto the two vets has given us(in-game)highly respected trainers/mentors for the next wave of D.

As time goes along, think most will look back at(say, 2017-2020 period) appreciating the patience JB maintained, keeping the right vet D-men around.

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hutton was fantastic last night.  Stetch was......efficient, but I don't see him being a permanent fixture in the top 4 at any point in his career, he's simply too small and easily out muscled.  Hutton though, what a turn around.

I think those two are a great second pair.  We need a ligit top pair.  Maybe Hughes can play to that level right away?  

Archived