The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 25, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Who sits Wednesday?  Motte, Granny, Spooner?

Goldy Elias Brock 1a

Leivo Bo Spooner 2a

Pearson Gaudette Motte/Granny 2b/3a

Eriksson Beagle Roussel  4a

Granny sits.  He gets 3-5 good scoring chances a game and cannot finish for some unknown reason.   He is not a total write-off - yet but give SPOON more time.  He played really well tonight and earned it and besides I'm tired of screaming "SH!T" 3-5 times a game after Granny misses yet another chance.   He's cursed - period!

57 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Finally... THE BO HAS COME BACK! TO VANCOOUVER. Dan Murphy, hold the microphone, jabroni. Now the world is asking, "Bowie? What were you saying to Ryan Kesler?" First of all, The Bo says this: Who in the blue hell is Ryan?"

Murph: Kesl-

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HIS NAME IS! Ryan Kesler, you little roody poo! Come on The Bo's show and do you think you impress The Bo with your magazine photo? Do you think you impress The Bo by playing 13 minutes a game? If you really want to impress The Bo, you'll actually show up to play next game and go ONE ON ONE WITH THE GREAT ONE. The Bo says this: if The Bo hits you, he'll kill you. If he misses, the wind behind the punch will give you pneumonia and you'll die anyway, so the choice is yours, jabroni!

Ryan Kesler, take your entire thirty-three pound head, turn it backwards like The Exorcist, have it roll down your back, catch it with both your hands. And then, Kesler, The Bo says, take your own head and proceed to shove it directly up your candy ass!"

IF YOU SMELLLLLLL WHAT THE BO. IS. COOKIN.

Read that all with the rocks voice in my head. Bringing back memories

45 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I didn’t think a team’s defense could look worse than ours, Ducks found a way. Ours looked pretty good tonight. Maybe we should look to play the kids more. I like Sautner’s play. Hutton eating minutes like a champ. I dunno if Edler is as must keep as we thought. 

agree about edler.   if term and money is good sign, if not we got options.   

35 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Happy to see Marky get the shutout! 

What a pass from Petey on that first goal....

35 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm just saying, first shutout and no Guddy. Not a coincidence.

34 minutes ago, brownky said:

Luke Schenn played great.

Hutton played great.

Marky posting the goose. Nice.

This was a textbook game on 'how to win'. A couple "bend but not break" moments, but that's all.

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Marky with the shutout, Bo sets a career high, Pete with two points.

Schenn, Pouliot, Spooner, Leivo and Brock play great. Goldy actually scores and Biega gets one too.

What a great game, revenge is sweet!

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Work hard and you will be rewarded, didn't like this guy at first but he's [Goldy] coming around, can't not admire his determination

Nice to see the team get a good win with lots of good things happening.

1. First, great to see Marky get a well-deserved shutout, He has been playing well for quite a while and really deserved a shutout. It is only his 3rd career shutout. For some reason he has just had trouble nailing down the shutout in the past.

2. I was very interested in watching Schenn. I have been wanting to see him play for a while now and could not understand why he did not get a shot. He looked good to me tonight. He played 15 minutes (about the same as Guddy has been playing recently) and to me he looked better than Guddy. He played a physical game, was credited with 4 hits and I did not notice many bad passes or icing calls off his stick. 

3. Once again EP comes up big, In some ways, his play on the first goal could be viewed as the "turning point" of the game. At that stage the Ducks were actually outplaying Vancouver and outshooting them by a significant margin. EP blocks a shot in the D-zone, wins a puck battle, uses his speed to create some space and makes a great pass to Goldy, who makes a nice shot. Goldy also showed his speed, hockey IQ, puck handling ability and his shot on that play.

4. The difference between Goldy and EP is that EP can make the defensive play to start the play or, given the opportunity, can finish. Goldy can finish, but rarely makes the good defensive play. If he could play D at the EP level, he would be an excellent player.  But I remember a play early in the 2nd period when Goldy had a bad giveaway in his own end and did not go after the puck very hard. A bit later on the same sequence, EP made a diving check to stop a scoring chance. That is the play Goldy needs to make. In any case, Goldy had a good game tonight, as he did last game. Every time the EP line was on the ice they looked dangerous with EP, Goldy, and Boeser all looking good. 

5. Spooner was set up beautifully a couple of times (once by EP) and was in alone on the goalie, but could not finish. He looked better tonight and did get an assist. But there is no way he should play on the EP line. He just drags down EP and Boeser -- at least that is what happened in the previous two games. But maybe he is finding his game.

6. As mentioned by quite a few people, the entire D was good. Hutton was excellent (27 minutes again) and Stecher, Biega, and Sautner were all good. I even have to give credit to Pouliot. I saw a few weak plays but he was generally good tonight.

7. Beagle, Motte, and Eriksson played well in a shutdown role. But I don't know if those guys will ever score. Same with Granlund.

8. Finally, congrats to Horvat. He came up with a big game tonight and set a new PB for goals (with a lot of games left). He could get 30 this season, in addition to being a stalwart defensively. And Leivo made a nice play on Horvat's second goal after winning a puck battle against Kesler (I think).

Great bounce-back game. I still think the playoffs are very unlikely and, given that, would like to get a high draft pick. But it is still nice to see the players come up with a big win. They deserve it and I am sure they are feeling a lot better about themselves after tonight.

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I thought he had a really solid game tonight, one of his better outings

That won't last.  Pooalot has 1 non-devastating game out of every 10-15.   Keep in mind this was a deflated Anaheim team we played tonight.   5 bucks says he messes-up against the Av's next game! 

39 minutes ago, xereau said:

Motte is putting his body on the line for this team.  Heart and soul player.  I have to consider him long term glue guy, plays up and down where the teams needs it.

I honestly think you lock him up like Burrows did.  He was very successful offensively in Michigan, so you never know maybe with the right linemates maybe he can chip in more.

I have zero doubts about his desire to compete and working to get better.  Just another solid guy that fits perfectly with this group

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Luke Schenn was physical in the neutral zone early which is something I always wanted Gudbranson to be but he never was - the thought process being it would keep the opposing team honest.

The result was 0 controlled entries against Schenn at 5v5 tonight#Canucks

just wow

Keep in mind Gudbranson is officially the WORST D-man and Player in the entire league.  (There's a separate post on the CDC board RE: this)

Schenn played an excellent shutdown role in his zone.  His only weakness might be retrieving pucks, especially i other teams try to dump it into his area.  Will be very interesting to see how he handles that.  

Positionally in front of the net he was a rock.  He looked locked in and constantly tieing up sticks.  Really happy for him.

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I was thinking about that same quote which was ridiculous, Marky has to be the most improved player this year on the Canucks and I think with a solid defence in front of him, he could be primed to be steller or at least top goalie in the league for the next few seasons at least. Cannot wait to see what JB does this off season with our D

I'd argue Hutton is most improved but it's debatable. Both have made giant improvements in their games. Markstrom is playing like a real #1g. Presently surprised. Would love to see demko have to battle it out and actually earn that spot

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Keep in mind Gudbranson is officially the WORST D-man and Player in the entire league.  (There's a separate post on the CDC board RE: this)

It wasnt so much the Guddy comparison I was enamored with but the lack of controlled zone entries- for a guy who can (hopefully) become a shutdown guy that's exactly the type of impact you want to see. 

Archived