The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iggy Night in Calgary

I'm not one for watching other team's games... especially not Calgary, but I'll make an exception for when they retire Iggy's jersey.  (and the Flames look to lose anyway B) )

Such a class player... tough as nails, physical, soft hands and a wicked shot... plus he was always good for a big grin.

He's one Flame I would have been more than happy to see pull on a Canucks' sweater... too bad that wasn't going to happen.

Never got his Cup, but had a terrific career, and held up the Canadian flag for us in the Olympics... will end up in the Hall for sure.

Loved his interview.  Cheers Iggy!!  :gocan:

The one Flame I've never been able to hate. He's such a likeable guy off the ice and was always cool with fans. He did everything he could short of winning a cup and he almost dragged Calgary to one of those too. Over 500 goals, 11 consecutive 30 goal seasons, tough as nails and willing to throw both hits and fists. He's a player I'd have loved to see in Canucks colours and with the twins during their prime. Always wanted him as their linemate. There's no golden goal without Iggy either, the Linden thing. He'll be in the hall for sure. One of the last true old school power forwards.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Was at the game. The last minny goal looked pretty offside from my point of view. Not sure what the highlights showed. I’m still holding on to playoff hope for Canucks so was hoping flames could win in reg. But over not a good night for Canucks.  Yotes win, stars win and wild win. 

Read was dragging his toe.  

At the 4min mark:

During his time as a flame which was most of Iginla's career, I would say he was my favorite non-Canuck hockey player.

I appreciate how he would stick up for his team mates, hit, score....he did it all. Iginla really was a prototypical Canadian hockey player.

My favorite moment was in Vancouver in 2010 when he did the dirty work in the corner to slip a sweet pass to Crosby for the golden goal. 

Always respected Iggy, I had the chance to meet him when my company did some work on his house in Kelowna, he would sit and visit with the workers on lunch if he was around. I got a signed stick from him as a thanks for all the work we did, he is a class act off the ice, always friendly and respectful to everyone. I hated when the Canucks played him because he always seemed to score or fight with Ohlund or Kessler. Will never forget when he led the entire flames team to come out and shake Linden’s hand in his last game, did not surprise me at all when it happened. 

Archived