The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"My Son is Actually in the NHL": by Juliana MacEwen

Rate this topic

Where's Wellwood

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

call me a sissy, but I actually teared up reading that.. great to hear the story from a mom's perspective.. thanks for posting

Not a sissy at all. We all love this game, in part because of the emotions it envokes. Best game on the planet. Period. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Mark Messier.  The guy we all wanted to be growing up...at least until we played against him in the final and saw him cross-check Momesso hard in the numbers no penalty.  Messier is as a polarizing figure in our past as we have, mostly on the hate side of the spectrum. If he only excepted the A and supported Linden, and played a second line role and helped management sign and keep Bure we’ve of had a team that could have been unstoppable.  Instead he was like a hand grenade in the dressing room and to our lineup.    Ugh.  Eat some chips and leave our team alone...

still probably the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time, regardless of his time in Van

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

still probably the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time, regardless of his time in Van

No. Off the top of my head I got Orr, Lidstrom, Gretz, Lemiux, Syd, Ovie,  in the modern era. Richard, and many others in the golden years all better. Overrated dumbass is Messier. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

No. Off the top of my head I got Orr, Lidstrom, Gretz, Lemiux, Syd, Ovie,  in the modern era. Richard, and many others in the golden years all better. Overrated dumbass is Messier. 

1887 points, 3rd most of all time, plus he hit, fought and was one of the greatest leaders, if not the greatest, in the history of the game.

3 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

call me a sissy, but I actually teared up reading that.. great to hear the story from a mom's perspective.. thanks for posting

Name calling is against forum rules but since you asked I'll take the opportunity to say:

Glug Datt is a sissy.

Strange, that wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. :(:sadno:

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

That's a nice story to hear.

Zack was such a longshot to make it but it is a good testament to his work ethic that he improved so much to get to this point.

Nice of the organization to get the family out there while keeping it under wraps that he would be playing.

Saw him live in Penticton, first shift I knew he was different, special.  Kid has heart. No matter its a showcase tourney.  You could hear him skating all over the ice.  Digging. Chugging along.  And his game has grown leaps and bounds since.  He will be a full time NHLer soon.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

1887 points, 3rd most of all time, plus he hit, fought and was one of the greatest leaders, if not the greatest, in the history of the game.

Matter of opinion. For me, I go by my starting lineup on who I would want on my all time team. Stats are nice but not a black and white matter. Messier just isnt top three player of all time for me. 

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

Matter of opinion. For me, I go by my starting lineup on who I would want on my all time team. Stats are nice but not a black and white matter. Messier just isnt top three player of all time for me. 

fair enough........I hated him in Van, but there's very very few that were able to dominate games, on many levels, like Mess.  If he didn't beat you on the scoreboard, he beat you in the gutter

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

fair enough........I hated him in Van, but there's very very few that were able to dominate games, on many levels, like Mess.  If he didn't beat you on the scoreboard, he beat you in the gutter

I get you and I admit its hard for me to separate my hatred towards his time here. Just dont see him as a top three is all. But these types of lists and debates are what sports are about. Really just boils down to opinions and entertainment and we all see it through different eyes. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I get you and I admit its hard for me to separate my hatred towards his time here. Just dont see him as a top three is all. But these types of lists and debates are what sports are about. Really just boils down to opinions and entertainment and we all see it through different eyes. 

had Orr or Lemieux stayed healthy, I would probably agree with you there.  I love Syd and Ovie, but they have a long way to go to be in that convo, though they are certainly are making a good case for themselves.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Ok I used the confused emoji because your right and i hate that your right.   When he first signed here I saw him on a ferry a day or two before in the gift shop.  My first thought was wow that’s Messier, and he’s a lot smaller than I thought he would be.  Then the awe crept in, this is the Oiler that did amazing things when I grew up and in the moment I forgave him for 94.  He was wearing a hat and a long trench coat obviously trying to go incognito and it was working, nobody else knew we were standing in the presence of at the time a hockey god.  For a moment I thought maybe it was a doppelgänger becuase why would he be on a ferry anyways .... then we locked eyes, and a few second later he grinned and winked and I knew it was him.  I kept staring and it became a contest for maybe ten seconds, then grinned back and left him alone.    A few days later he signed with us and I wasn’t that unhappy it happened..then I was seriously unhappy about it.  Messier was a great player, absolutely, just not for us. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok I used the confused emoji because your right and i hate that your right.   When he first signed here I saw him on a ferry a day or two before in the gift shop.  My first thought was wow that’s Messier, and he’s a lot smaller than I thought he would be.  Then the awe crept in, this is the Oiler that did amazing things when I grew up and in the moment I forgave him for 94.  He was wearing a hat and a long trench coat obviously trying to go incognito and it was working, nobody else knew we were standing in the presence of at the time a hockey god.  For a moment I thought maybe it was a doppelgänger becuase why would he be on a ferry anyways .... then we locked eyes, and a few second later he grinned and winked and I knew it was him.  I kept staring and it became a contest for maybe ten seconds, then grinned back and left him alone.    A few days later he signed with us and I wasn’t that unhappy it happened..then I was seriously unhappy about it.  Messier was a great player, absolutely, just not for us. 

no one will get any other argument from me about his time in Van.  But, it's impossible to overlook his greatness otherwise.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

no one will get any other argument from me about his time in Van.  But, it's impossible to overlook his greatness otherwise.

Even he’s spoke about how it was a mistake and how he wishes things worked out better.  Don’t know what he means by that, but I do know if he just accepted a second line role and backed Linden that was the best team on paper by a long shot.  If Bure and Mogilny stayed we could have won some cups....

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Mark Messier.  The guy we all wanted to be growing up...at least until we played against him in the final and saw him cross-check Momesso hard in the numbers no penalty.  Messier is as a polarizing figure in our past as we have, mostly on the hate side of the spectrum. If he only excepted the A and supported Linden, and played a second line role and helped management sign and keep Bure we’ve of had a team that could have been unstoppable.  Instead he was like a hand grenade in the dressing room and to our lineup.    Ugh.  Eat some chips and leave our team alone...

Nah...I wanted to be Steve Yzerman. 

30 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Nah...I wanted to be Steve Yzerman. 

He was a star no doubt, but Messier did the impossible, winning a cup without Gretzky, and was considered at the same level as Lemuiex and Wayne for two years in NYR before 94 winning a Hart and I think a Lindsay as well..while Yzerman was good he wasn’t that good and he wasnt winning anything in Detroit until quite some time later.  At the time Messier has a lot more glow, the shine was mostly coming off his six Stanley cup rings. 

Later Yzerman was awesome, but Messier was godlike in his presence.  Diminished a lot as he got older, but he did ok in his forties, even scored 20 goals his final year.

That period was insane.  For more than a decade in half the only guys to win the Art Ross were Gretzky, Lemieux and I think Jagr, and the Hart Gretzky, Lemuiex and Messier.    Federov won the  Hart in 94, but when Gretzky won his last Art Ross, 15 years after he started his NHL career. 

12 years of coaching my kid, driving him to games and practices, vice pres, divisional manager, head coach, assitant coach, equipment manager, hockey schools, 5 am get ups, a billion Mr. Mike's Restraunts,  about 24 pairs of skates, don't know how many hockey sticks, shoulder pads, pants, and gloves...

And now I have to confess my love to Zack's mom for reminding me, I would do it all over again, if given half a chance...

Thanks Mrs. McEwen ( Sniff!)

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1