The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL sets Draft Lottery date

2 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

Since the start of the current draft lottery format in 2016, we've dropped at least one position every year:

2016:  Jets and CBJ jump ahead of OIlers and us to push us down from 3rd to 5th; total of 2 spots moved down

2017:  Devils, Flyers (3rd least likely odds to win #1), and Stars move ahead of Colorado and us to push us down from 2nd to 5th; total of 3 spots moved down

2018: Carolina jumps ahead to push us from 6th to 7th; total of 1 spot moved down

I don't expect the trend of teams to jump ahead of us to end........ :(

Thanks ! Only moving down one spot in 2018 probably 'felt like' staying in position ! I just might have to join the 'Bettman hates Vancouver' conspiracy crowd !

The lotto is designed to disappoint the teams that need high picks and reward teams closer to the playoffs. 

Right now we are "6th" but our odds are much higher of dropping to 7th or 8th than staying at 6. Its a terrible system for putting talent where its needed. 

image.png.b012f362ffc9f5981d415d12dad6029a.png

I can't imagine what the excitement in this city (province) would be if the Canucks got the #1 and drafted Jack. Having Hughes and Pettersson as the top 2 Cs. Well, that could be the best one-two punch in the league in a few years. Of course, the Canucks have never had a #1 pick in their 49 year history, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But if it happened this year, with the Draft being in VAN, we should hold a parade just for that lol

If, VAN gets the #1 and Benning passes on Jack Hughes, the groans and boos from Rogers on Draft Day would be deafening.     

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Better known as Edmonton gets another top 3 pick and the Canucks drop yet again day

Or maybe the hockey gods will throw us a goddamn bone for once, but that seems unlikely given how we stole Pettersson

I hope we get that bone next year with Alexis Lafreniere.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The lotto is designed to disappoint the teams that need high picks and reward teams closer to the playoffs. 

Right now we are "6th" but our odds are much higher of dropping to 7th or 8th than staying at 6. Its a terrible system for putting talent where its needed. 

Damn. 60% chance we fall back at least a spot. Basically the higher you finish the more likely you are to be bumped. Seems pretty unfair no?

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Really if a team can drop by as much as 4 spots, then a team should only be able to rise the same amount.  The system is already so complicated no one can understand it, so why not add another level of stupidity?

I do agree that there should be a limit to how many spots you can move up, to around 8-10 spots. 

Moving up from the 15th draft slot to the 5th would still be a big reward. 9-11 teams would still capable of getting the #1 overall pick. 

I also like the idea that was implemented for the Crosby draft of lowering the odds significantly of teams who have picked #1 overall in any of the previous 4 seasons. 

13 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I do agree that there should be a limit to how many spots you can move up, to around 8-10 spots. 

Moving up from the 15th draft slot to the 5th would still be a big reward. 9-11 teams would still capable of getting the #1 overall pick. 

I also like the idea that was implemented for the Crosby draft of lowering the odds significantly of teams who have picked #1 overall in any of the previous 4 seasons. 

I agree with this. What's the point of having a draft lottery when odds are you'll get a worse position?

(i.e. Vancouver the past few drafts)

1st overall should be reserved for the bottom 8 to 10 teams.

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Having a max amount a team can move up might be an idea ! 5 ? 7 ? etc..

thats a great idea, 4 should do it. Should also not allow a team to pick 1st overall more than once in 3 years. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really if a team can drop by as much as 4 spots, then a team should only be able to rise the same amount.  The system is already so complicated no one can understand it, so why not add another level of stupidity?

How is it complicated?  You draw for the top three slots, 4-15 are filled according to the regular season ranking of the remaining 12 teams.

18 hours ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

Since the start of the current draft lottery format in 2016, we've dropped at least one position every year:

2016:  Jets and CBJ jump ahead of Oilers and us to push us down from 3rd to 5th; total of 2 spots moved down

2017:  Devils, Flyers (3rd least likely odds to win #1), and Stars move ahead of Colorado and us to push us down from 2nd to 5th; total of 3 spots moved down

2018: Carolina jumps ahead to push us from 6th to 7th; total of 1 spot moved down

I expect the trend of teams to jump ahead of us to continue, especially since it will be a draft at home........ :(  #canuckluck

We got Pettersson in 2017 and Hughes in 2018 so if you really think about it did we lose the lottery those years?

2 hours ago, Pears said:

We got Pettersson in 2017 and Hughes in 2018 so if you really think about it did we lose the lottery those years?

Yes ! Absolutely ! .......and, yes ! ( we may have picked the exact same names but 'sooner' in the draft, but we would of had more options ! )

2016 is the one that really hurts. Dubois was the target that year and CBJ stole him with their lottery win. That kid is a stud.

I'm not sure why they can't just give the bottom 5 teams a 20% chance to win 1OA and then leave everyone else where they are. Restocks the crappy teams, but doesn't guarantee 1OA to a tank. Teams a few points out of the playoffs should not get a chance to select in the top 3.

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can't imagine what the excitement in this city (province) would be if the Canucks got the #1 and drafted Jack. Having Hughes and Pettersson as the top 2 Cs. Well, that could be the best one-two punch in the league in a few years. Of course, the Canucks have never had a #1 pick in their 49 year history, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But if it happened this year, with the Draft being in VAN, we should hold a parade just for that lol

If, VAN gets the #1 and Benning passes on Jack Hughes, the groans and boos from Rogers on Draft Day would be deafening.     

If we drafted Bowen Byram I don't care what position we drafted him in. I wouldn't boo. We don't need another forward. It's pretty clear we need a new defence. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

We don't need another forward. It's pretty clear we need a new defence. 

We need both. Our forward depth is actually worse than our defensive depth assuming a couple of our defensive prospects pan out. We have literally zero top line offensive prospects. Our best offensive prospect is Madden and he's projected to be a middle-six player at best. Kakko is the piece we need most this year.

11 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I'm betting that Benning won't be making the pick this 2019 draft as GM.  Can't help but notice Benning directly throwing THE 6 MILLION DOLLAR MAN under the bus.  Usually when these types of comments are made when there is internal issues at play, coincidently Bennings other guy (Travis Green) using the seldomly used EXCUSE, that injurys are to blame for there poor season(s) and not LACK OF DEPTH.

5 years is the average term for GM's isn't it?  Well if the report card comes out on the last day of season 5, I am fairly confident TRADER JIM and COMPANY are done.

Benning isn’t going anywhere any time soon. We’re finally starting to see the team he has put together. 

This is just the beginning, not the end for Jim Benning.

Archived