The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Adam Fox testing UFA status next summer.

does anybody have a solid read on why fox didn't really even get a sniff at the hobey baker? you'd think that his numbers and high profile would have him gain more than 1.8% of the fan voting. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

does anybody have a solid read on why fox didn't really even get a sniff at the hobey baker? you'd think that his numbers and high profile would have him gain more than 1.8% of the fan voting. 

Fan voting only accounts for 1% of the final overall selection process.  

The 3 finalists will be announced tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Fan voting only accounts for 1% of the final overall selection process.  

The 3 finalists will be announced tomorrow.

ok.

does anybody have a solid read on why fox didn't really even get a sniff at the hobey baker fan voting? you'd think that his numbers and high profile would have him gain more than 1.8%. 

how's that?

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, stawns said:

speculation, the sky is blue and water is wet

all kidding aside, he obviously has a destination in mind.  I expect JB will kick the tires, but little to no chance anything comes of it

but what would happen if in addition to kicking the tires he also lit the fires?

From LeBrun in the Athletic (paywall) - a sign and trade to burn the 1st year of his deal this season is not allowed:

For starters, the ‘Canes found out this week from the league that the NHL would void any sign-and-trade scenario that occurs before the offseason. The idea being that if Carolina signed Fox and then immediately flipped him to the Rangers, Fox could burn the first year of his entry-level deal before the end of this season. Turns out that can’t happen. The only team Fox can burn the first year of his entry-level deal for 2018-19 is Carolina.

4 hours ago, mll said:

From LeBrun in the Athletic (paywall) - a sign and trade to burn the 1st year of his deal this season is not allowed:

For starters, the ‘Canes found out this week from the league that the NHL would void any sign-and-trade scenario that occurs before the offseason. The idea being that if Carolina signed Fox and then immediately flipped him to the Rangers, Fox could burn the first year of his entry-level deal before the end of this season. Turns out that can’t happen. The only team Fox can burn the first year of his entry-level deal for 2018-19 is Carolina.

So......play one game for the Canes then hello NYR !

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Carolina owns his draft rights.  Of course another team getting directly involved is tampering?

I don't know for sure and am just guessing. But owning rights and having an actual contract, to me, are different things.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

I don't know for sure and am just guessing. But owning rights and having an actual contract, to me, are different things.

Tricky situation if it's not tampering since NCAA players can hit UFA right after college. What's stopping a team from saying they're interested in any drafted NCAA player which may pique their interest in having the choice of which team to join? Personally I would have to put this into the tampering category otherwise it can open up a can of worms.

Remember when Butcher and Kerfoot weren't going to sign for their respective teams and then were traded for each other? Perhaps a similar deal can be made for Fox and someone in the NYR system.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Tricky situation if it's not tampering since NCAA players can hit UFA right after college. What's stopping a team from saying they're interested in any drafted NCAA player which may pique their interest in having the choice of which team to join? Personally I would have to put this into the tampering category otherwise it can open up a can of worms.

Remember when Butcher and Kerfoot weren't going to sign for their respective teams and then were traded for each other? Perhaps a similar deal can be made for Fox and someone in the NYR system.

Oh I think it's probably tampering to some degree but the original comment was made by Larry Brooks who is just a media member. He can speculate anything he wants.

I think that is always the risk of drafting a NCAA player but then the player runs the risk of waiting too long and losing their chance.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Oh I think it's probably tampering to some degree but the original comment was made by Larry Brooks who is just a media member. He can speculate anything he wants.

I think that is always the risk of drafting a NCAA player but then the player runs the risk of waiting too long and losing their chance.

Well if the loophole from tampering is to use the media, then maybe it's time to utilize the media to our advantage. Only problem is that our media will cry to the NHL saying we are tampering rather than help us.

The issue with the way Brooksie worded his "speculation" is that he made it seem that NYR was interested for sure rather making it known it's his speculation. I expect the league to look into it to either get Brooksie to do proper reporting or actually charge for tampering if the team expressed it to him to "pass on the message".

On 3/26/2019 at 11:52 PM, Quantum said:

I believe they absolutely did. There were rumors back when he was traded that the Flames knew they weren't going to be able to sign him and so that's why they parted with him in the deal that got them Hanifin/Lindholm. Hurricanes stood a "better" chance but it's clear he's got his eyes on some team. I suspect he'll land in either Boston or on the Rangers.

This is normally my argument with people praising how bold the Rangers organization initating a rebuild. Yes it was the right move for the Rangers. But when top college prospects and free agents normally target  your team the process of rebuilding becomes faster

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

This is normally my argument with people praising how bold the Rangers organization initating a rebuild. Yes it was the right move for the Rangers. But when top college prospects and free agents normally target  your team the process of rebuilding becomes faster

People who argue that teams like Edmonton and Winnipeg (...and a handful others ) are on a level playing field when UFAs are involved are wrong, wrong, wrong !

Archived