The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 IIHF World Championships

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Now 5 - 1  in the second Russia vs Sweden.  edit....as I write its 6 - 1.  Russia is a juggernaut.  Disappointing that more top Canadians declined.. I understand Crosby, Toews. Keith.   They've paid their dues, and probably now as older vets need the rest, but where is MacKinnon, McDavid, Suban, Scheifele, even Stamkos could have signed up. Hall Benn Weber....

You dont think weber has paid his dues?

57 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Now 5 - 1  in the second Russia vs Sweden.  edit....as I write its 6 - 1.  Russia is a juggernaut.  Disappointing that more top Canadians declined.. I understand Crosby, Toews. Keith.   They've paid their dues, and probably now as older vets need the rest, but where is MacKinnon, McDavid, Suban, Scheifele, even Stamkos could have signed up. Hall Benn Weber....

McDavid was injured.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

They play hockey all year. They don't need to keep playing if they aren't feeling it. I know I'd want to be with my family and friends as soon as the seasons over.

Canada game difference was goaltending.   Russia game was simply calibre and willingness to get dirty.   Nylander showed, as one example, why he is a world class talent but also why he is a no show in tougher conditions.   Still picked up his points but number of times he was out muscled (out competed) in that second period was crazy when a younger and slighter kid (think you have heard of him, Elias something) was playing like his life depended on it.

Crazy day of games.   Russia is showing so far they are the class of this tournament.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Canada was impressive against the Americans. They could make a run for it this year. Although it will be hard to beat that Russian team considering how badly they just spanked Sweden 

The playoffs is a different game in The Worlds pretty much the same way as it is in the nhl. So while Russia was impressive today it remains to be seen if that means anything going forward. 

My guess would be that Canada lacks speed and won’t go all the way, but Kane seems kinda lackluster as a leader on the US team on the other hand. I think Sweden or Russia will win it in the end. 

SWE - FIN will be a monster game Thursday in the quarterfinals. 

6 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

You never know with the US they could upset the Russians in the Quarters - don't think it happens but you never know.

The US wins of they play Demko.  They will play Schneider though, so they lose.  

Not sure if this has been posted further up but for those interested in a daily podcast from the world championships then try this out: The totally ice hockey show

https://audioboom.com/channels/4993402

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-totally-ice-hockey-show/id1461188077

Presented by James Richardson (formerly of gazzetta football italia for anyone aware of the show who incidentally does a cracking football podcast called the totally football podcast)

It's a good show - feels targeted at newer fans but it has a host of European and North American hockey writers/broadcasters on the panel. I think the rest day episode will have an interview with Igor Larionov.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dubois is showing why he's was worth drafting 3rd. The guy is the real deal.

If he wasn't Canada's top forward he was damn close. Like his Columbus team mates there is no quit in his game. Torts coached him well. Sorry but on the USA side I simply have a hard time liking stars like Kane, Gaudreau, Hanifin and Eichel. They seem to check out on a regular basis. 

56 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Thursday's quarterfinals are set:

Canada vs Switzerland - 7:15 AM 

Russia vs USA - 7:15 AM

Czech vs Germany - 11:15 AM

Finland vs Sweden - 11:15 AM

Those times are not correct (were you putting into your timezone?) but added personal bonus is both the Canada and Swedish games are in Steel Arena.    Game times are 4:15 PM and 8:15 PM respectively.