The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Strange Case of Jussie Smollett

DonLever

11 minutes ago, Kushman said:

You don't think there's anything wrong with someone faking a hate crime? You don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that Smollett would of been perfectly fine with 2 innocent people going o jail and having their lives destroyed,  had his lie actually worked? You don't take issue that this hoax became immediately politicized and used by dems and liberal media to just add more fuel to an already divided society? 

What do you think would of happened if the roles were reversed. If a white guy faked a hate crime against 2 black guys? There would of been riots in Chicago. 

Celebrity or not, this guy did a disgusting crime, and should pay the price. Having all charges dropped and losing 10k is pathetic and just shows how corrupt the judicial system truly is.

Of course there is something wrong with faking this.  But also, no one innocent has been hurt and he's paid a nominal price through the 10K and the few days of community service.  Not sure if jail time would make him learn his lesson anymore, it would just take more money to prosecute and house him in jail.

Smollett did this to gain fame and sympathy, so the sooner we forget about the liar and move on the better.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Perhaps what was meant was that in Jussie's situation, so many on the left (politicians, media, celebrities) were falling over themselves showing their support for him in the latest rush to judgment, casting further doubts on their credibility.

You are describing a phenomenon that is common to literally everyone, not just news media or politicians and certainly not exclusive to the "left". Fox News was reporting that the Quebec mosque shooter was a Muslim man of Moroccan descent. Many on the right love to rush to judgment especially if it serves their  anti-Muslim or white victimhood agenda. 

Edited by Toews
Posted clarification
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

They caught the “attackers” awhile ago. And in the process, they also caught the $3,500 check he made out to his attackers.

I know about that, but if the attack wasn't staged, and the two brothers didnt attack him, then aren't the real attackers at large?

My comment was fairly tongue in cheek, but allowing for info I haven't heard, just in case.

Just now, Kragar said:

I know about that, but if the attack wasn't staged, and the two brothers didnt attack him, then aren't the real attackers at large?

My comment was fairly tongue in cheek, but allowing for info I haven't heard, just in case.

He was fined 10k and sentenced to community service.

The media spin machine has been overdrive pushing this "innocent" narrative.

Its despicable.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

Of course there is something wrong with faking this.  But also, no one innocent has been hurt and he's paid a nominal price through the 10K and the few days of community service.  Not sure if jail time would make him learn his lesson anymore, it would just take more money to prosecute and house him in jail.

Smollett did this to gain fame and sympathy, so the sooner we forget about the liar and move on the better.

DId he actually do community service recently for this incident? I thought it was said that because he had done some service a while ago theres no point in making him do more... and since hes “innocent” according to him

crazy times we live in

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know....AFAIK, there was no reason to disbelieve the story when it first came out. It's not like Smollett was known as a serial liar....but we all know for a fact that the Right vehemently defends someone fitting that description.

That being the case, I hardly think it's surprising that people were outraged by the story. TBH, I think it's odd that you folks on the right think that you've somehow scored this big "gotcha!" on every one to the left of the political spectrum, just because of the actions of one guy, but if it helps you all sleep at night....:unsure:

Lol, I’m far from right wing. I’m more of a left leaning with slight degree of being a misanthropist, sounds strange, I know.

Edited by canuckster19

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

DId he actually do community service recently for this incident? I thought it was said that because he had done some service a while ago theres no point in making him do more... and since hes “innocent” according to him

crazy times we live in

Could be the case.

And if he sticks to his guns with the lie, Smollet's career will go on the same trajectory as OJ Simpson's.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

You are describing a phenomenon that is common to literally everyone, not just news media or politicians and certainly not exclusive to the "left". Fox News was reporting that the Quebec mosque shooter was a Muslim man of Moroccan descent. The right loves to rush to judgment especially if it goes with their  anti-Muslim or white victimhood agenda. 

Yep, anyone can do it.  Politicians and media should be more diligent than they are, but that's the world we live in now.

Be interesting to see some "performance stats" to see who's noticeably better or worse at it, but it doesn't really matter... it's something we should all learn to cut back on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

He was fined 10k and sentenced to community service.

The media spin machine has been overdrive pushing this "innocent" narrative.

Its despicable.

It's that he got off extremely lightly with special treatment that has people angry.

I'm not partisan one way or the other on the political spectrum and this is just another log on the fire stoking my anger towards leftists.  It's getting close to the anger that I have for the extreme alt-right. 

In a perfect world, we could line both radical sides up in a giant field and arm them so they could take care of each other.  Then the rest of us adults could get back to common sense.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No one innocent got hurt because he got caught in the lie. He was perfectly ok with perpetuating this lie and two innocent people could of had their lives destroyed. 

He even faked sending himself an anthrax letter (which could potentially open up a federal investigation into him)

People have done far less than him and gotten punished way more severely. He didn't even apologize and is still lying and maintaining his innocence despite the overwhelming evidence against him.

Meanwhile, Roseanne got fired and lost her show over a twitter comment. Megyn Kelly lost her show for asking a question about blackface. They were punished more severely and they didn't even commit any crimes. 

Smollett because he fills out all the inter-sectional categories and is a friend of the elite left gets away without a trace (literally, the case has been wiped from the Cook County clerks database).

Its disgusting. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Kragar said:

Yep, anyone can do it.  Politicians and media should be more diligent than they are, but that's the world we live in now.

Be interesting to see some "performance stats" to see who's noticeably better or worse at it, but it doesn't really matter... it's something we should all learn to cut back on.

We just have to get used to it. Social media feeds news cycle and news cycle feeds social media. Everyone is trying to rush to get out the scoop to get those ratings or likes, retweets, mentions and follows. Verifying facts? Who has time for that, instead we will just post an apology or a retraction later. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know....AFAIK, there was no reason to disbelieve the story when it first came out. It's not like Smollett was known as a serial liar....but we all know for a fact that the Right vehemently defends someone fitting that description.

That being the case, I hardly think it's surprising that people were outraged by the story. TBH, I think it's odd that you folks on the right think that you've somehow scored this big "gotcha!" on every one to the left of the political spectrum, just because of the actions of one guy, but if it helps you all sleep at night....:unsure:

Sure, it could have been true.  But I don't recall anybody who has since had to eat crow over this suggesting patience or qualifying their comments that this was an alleged attack.

I'm sure if this happened 4 years ago, Jussie could have been Obama's son, just like Trayvon.

I don't consider it a gotcha.  Assuming he is indeed guilty to some degree, he's just a dumba## who acted without thinking.  Although, if true, it was Jussie who chose to make it political, not anyone else.  so, there's that.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

We just have to get used to it. Social media feeds news cycle and news cycle feeds social media. Everyone is trying to rush to get out the scoop to get those ratings or likes, retweets, mentions and follows. Verifying facts? Who has time for that, instead we will just post an apology or a retraction later. 

Sadly, this is true.

And we all know how well the retractions are communicated.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's that he got off extremely lightly with special treatment that has people angry.

I'm not partisan one way or the other on the political spectrum and this is just another log on the fire stoking my anger towards leftists.  It's getting close to the anger that I have for the extreme alt-right. 

In a perfect world, we could line both radical sides up in a giant field and arm them so they could take care of each other.  Then the rest of us adults could get back to common sense.

Really? You are close to equating "leftists" with "extreme alt-right"? That is bizarre to say the least. For one I don't see much support for Smollett and his lies. Where are all these "leftists" who claim to support Smollett? Maybe you can post some examples but it seems most people seem convinced of Smollett's guilt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Uhhhhh.  Look at this guy.

his life in prison would be miserable.