The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Further to that, who decides what is professional and what is not?

Personally, I care about what they do, not what they wear....

Yeah, we should all be more concerned with what's up their sleeves.^_^

How about stop all the corruption, then you can talk about how ladies are "supposed" to dress professionally.

This is typical of the parliament,

opioid crisis,homeless people,hungry people,no affordable housing and these A-HOLES are worried about professional attire for ladies in the house.

OUR TAX DOLLARS HARD AT WORK I'M SURE!

16 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

how a person dresses for work says a lot about the person's abilities too. 

If you say so.

I work at a College and some of the smartest people I know dress pretty causal. Our Physics professor has a PhD, speaks English, Arabic and Farsi. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything but jeans and a short sleeved button up shirt. He often wears a baseball cap while teaching, as well.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

If you say so.

I work at a College and some of the smartest people I know dress pretty causal. Our Physics professor has a PhD, speaks English, Arabic and Farsi. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything but jeans and a short sleeved button up shirt. He often wears a baseball cap while teaching, as well.

Key word: College. College behavior is not real world behavior. For starters, if Colleges are providers of a service, then their customers ( students) are not in a position to refuse their services either. 
In a competetive workplace, dress code and dressing well matters. It shows reliability, consistency, attention to detail, etc. before one even opens their mouth. 

8 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Key word: College. College behavior is not real world behavior. For starters, if Colleges are providers of a service, then their customers ( students) are not in a position to refuse their services either. 
In a competetive workplace, dress code and dressing well matters. It shows reliability, consistency, attention to detail, etc. before one even opens their mouth. 

But that's not what you said. You said that how a person dresses says a lot about their abilities. Key word: abilities.

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If you say so.

College in prince rupert?

Disagree. Anyone can put on a suit and tie. Not everyone can solve differential equations.

and the person who puts on a suit and tie and grooms themselves, tells me, from the MOMENT they walk in the door, that they are organized enough to take the extra time to look presentable, realize what expectations are and is eager to meet them and if they are really well groomed, that they also have attention to detail.

They are already batting ahead of the other guy with a PhD (assuming both do), who looks like he crawled outta bed late, threw on the first thing out of the laundry hamper, in 5 seconds of walking in. 

Looking presentable is not a substitute for qualifications, but when qualifications are matched, is often a decisive deal-winner due to these silent factors communicated.

Just now, canuckistani said:

and the person who puts on a suit and tie and grooms themselves, tells me, from the MOMENT they walk in the door, that they are organized enough to take the extra time to look presentable, realize what expectations are and is eager to meet them and if they are really well groomed, that they also have attention to detail.

They are already batting ahead of the other guy with a PhD (assuming both do), who looks like he crawled outta bed late, threw on the first thing out of the laundry hamper, in 5 seconds of walking in. 

Looking presentable is not a substitute for qualifications, but when qualifications are matched, is often a decisive deal-winner due to these silent factors communicated.

I don't disagree with any of that. Only that how someone dresses says anything about their abilities.

Donald Trump dresses well, but everyone knows he's a 5 Star moron. My friend Erfan might not even own a suit, but he's the smartest person I've ever met and that includes the decade or so I spent in sales.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't disagree with any of that. Only that how someone dresses says anything about their abilities.

Donald Trump dresses well, but everyone knows he's a 5 Star moron. My friend Erfan might not even own a suit, but he's the smartest person I've ever met and that includes the decade or so I spent in sales.

it tells us a lot about their abilities to manage time well ( the better dressed person managed time better, to find the time), ability to conform to expectations put on them ( work is not about you only, its also about what is expected of you), ability that is attention to detail, etc etc. 

These are also abilities. I will hire the better organized, slightly less smart person than the insanely smart disorganized fellow. 

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

it tells us a lot about their abilities to manage time well ( the better dressed person managed time better, to find the time), ability to conform to expectations put on them ( work is not about you only, its also about what is expected of you), ability that is attention to detail, etc etc. 

These are also abilities. I will hire the better organized, slightly less smart person than the insanely smart disorganized fellow. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Getting dressed is not an "ability" in my world. I put the bar a bit higher....

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Getting dressed is not an "ability" in my world. I put the bar a bit higher....

time management, attention to detail, conforming to expectations - these are all abilities - critical ones at that- in the workplace. Getting dressed,making your bed, etc. are all silent demonstrations OF these abilities. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

time management, attention to detail, conforming to expectations - these are all abilities - critical ones at that- in the workplace. Getting dressed,making your bed, etc. are all silent demonstrations OF these abilities. 

As I said. Agree to disagree.

Someone can be well dressed and still be a complete screw up. You would have no way of knowing this just by looking at their clothes.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As I said. Agree to disagree.

Someone can be well dressed and still be a complete screw up. You would have no way of knowing this just by looking at their clothes.

sure. Can be. 

But someone who is well dressed *IS* communicating to me that they are better organized, care about meeting expectations and have better attention to detail than the disheveled person who dresses lazy. 
These things DO matter in the professional world and rightfully so. 

Archived