The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

I think the rule is moronic and surely they have more important issues to discuss in Parliament. 

They definitely have more important issues to discuss.

However, I think it would look silly if the men dressed with as much freedom as women already enjoy. That's why I posted the pic of the dude with no sleeves, I wouldn't want to see that. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They definitely have more important issues to discuss.

However, I think it would look silly if the men dressed with as much freedom as women already enjoy. That's why I posted the pic of the dude with no sleeves, I wouldn't want to see that. 

Suns out, guns out:

image.png.de3f511572dce28f0c2cb23df1c1f7b3.png

Quite frankly, this is another example of "feminism" going too far. Those women do not look professional when wearing sleeveless shirts. Those women were elected to represent their local constituents and now instead of actually dealing with issues they were elected for, they're pining for attention and changing rules so that they can look unprofessional while at work. Its ridiculous. This rule is not there to take away the rights of women but rather to keep a professional atmosphere. If they don't like it, step down.

There's also a difference between someone with short sleeves, or sleeves to the forearms, compared to those who are basically spagetti strap tops or straight sleeveless. Just because something looks nice or fancy does not mean it is professional. I'm a lawyer. I wouldn't show up to Court in a muscle shirt because that is unprofessional. Some guys look good in muscle shirts, but that is not the point. The point is that it is not appropriate dress code for the setting you work in and if I didn't like the dress code, then I would have found a different line of work. I swear all these people are just trying to water the rules down so they can eventually show up to work in their Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops.

And in any event, dress code is super lax on women in any event. The dress code for guys in the political world and in the legal world is suit and tie. Its uncomfortable and stuffy, but that is the professional wear. Women on the other hand (now I'm speaking solely from anecdotal evidence in the Courtroom) show up wearing loose shirts and short skirts. I've seen women show up in flats. I WISH that I could wear normal foot wear to the courtroom rather than some expensive leather shoes, but the standard for men is quite frankly HIGHER than it is for women (in my experience). So my response to the action from these ladies is that they're just coming across entitled.

Who cares if something doesn't look "professional." These dicks in their suits and ties have done nothing but screw everything up. Professional politicians are the reason why things are getting increasingly $&!#tier. Your ability to wear a tie makes you no more qualified than someone who doesn't. 

I just got back from an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. In the buffet restaurant, women were wearing tank tops, crop tops and short shorts...a guy in a tank top was told he could not dine there in that shirt...he was mad , said 'you allow women to be almost naked but I can't wear a tank top?' What I don't want to see is a man's hairy pits while I'm dining however it does seem to be a double standard.

As far as anyone sleeveless , man or woman , in the office? I find it unprofessional looking. We already are so casual here...bank tellers in polo shirts and tshirts...you would never see that when I was a youngster.

One more thing, they say you behave as you dress so 'they' say if you work out of home, you should dress like you are going to the office to get in a professional mindset.

Personally, I think it depends on the circumstances, job in question, etc.   It gets VERY hot in my office (second floor, all windows) so I often will have bare arms but I also wear a blazer that I put on if/when clients come in.  

I do think it's a double standard if men are expected to be in suits and ties...women should also have to be more "business" than casual in line with that.

Having a dress code is a good thing. It shows that a person is willing to meet expectations and has basic consistency in their behavior. The 'dress however you wish' bum culture is catering to lowering standards, nothing more. 
We should also bring back a dress code in schools. 

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who cares if something doesn't look "professional." These dicks in their suits and ties have done nothing but screw everything up. Professional politicians are the reason why things are getting increasingly $&!#tier. Your ability to wear a tie makes you no more qualified than someone who doesn't. 

Further to that, who decides what is professional and what is not?

Personally, I care about what they do, not what they wear....

Archived