The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Signing Gardiner and Myers would allow the Canucks to trade from a position of strength

[discussion]  Signing Gardiner and Myers would allow the Canucks to trade from a position of strength

This is an extension to a previous thread of mine, but I really think a co-signing of Gardiner and Myers would make a lot of sense.  

Here’s my line of thought:

1) Very deep defense with the signings of Gardiner and Myers.   Having Edler, Tanev, Gardiner, Myers, Hughes, and Stecher would give us defensive depth comparable to our Presidents Trophy winning days.

2) Trading from a position of strength.  With Gardiner and Myers here, you could move Hutton for either a draft pick or some help up front.   Think about it.  If Gudbranson lands you Pearson, and Larsson lands Taylor Hall, then surely, a guy like Hutton could land a pretty decent forward right?  (Or perhaps a late   1st round pick).  

3)  Less injuries with more balanced ice time?  Edler, Tanev, Myers, and Gardiner are injury prone, but would they be as injury prone if they balanced their ice time?  With Gardiner and Myers here, Edler and Tanev wouldn’t have to overexerted.    

4) Internal competition + trading from a position of strength.   With Edler, Tanev, Gardiner, Myers, Hughes, and Stecher all here, you would create more internal competition.   Who can replace Edler and Tanev when their days are up?   You’d have all of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Woo, and others all gunning for those two spots that would be open once Edler and Tanev inevitably move on.......or perhaps internal competition would force the Canucks to move Tanev (which would now be safe and possible due to our newfound depth).  Or maybe Stecher gets bumped?

The bottom line here is that newfound depth + internal competition could lead to us being able to trade from a position of strength.  Defenseman are always coveted and so teams would be looking to deal with us.

Sign Gardiner and Myers and use the new found depth to not only insure yourself against injuries, but to also potentially trade from a position of strength (ie draft picks, forwards, etc).

we do not need to sign meyers and gardiner

if you really just want to move young prospects in the future

the team can do that without signing these middling over priced ufa dmen

your thinking will result in the loss of young talent in a number of years

they really not worth signing to have to lose someone like hughes as a result

No to Gardiner

Leaning towards 'no' to Myers

VAN shouldn't be handing out big expensive contracts to UFAs when they'll have to pay the kids in the next few years. They will be re-signing Edler and Schenn seems to be a gift they weren't expecting. I was fairly impressed with Sautner this year, and Brisebois looks okay (still undecided on him). Juolevi could also make the team and who knows how Woo is going to develop this summer. He's already got an NHL body. Imagine Woo and Schenn down the right side. And they're cheap.

Speaking of Schenn, is it possible that Benning had the foresight to know that Schenn and Hughes had this connection from Toronto and decided to trade for Schenn knowing Hughes would be playing in VAN soon? Schenn seems to be the perfect D partner for Hughes. And I'm certain Schenn will be a great mentor. So much better than Del Zotto.

I don't see what Gardiner does other than lock up needed cap space and if you think Spiza was a give away machine.... 

Oh and did I mention softness? 

Gardiner had assists on a very high scoring team. He won't produce like that with the Canucks, and not the way Green coaches. It would be a terrible signing. We also don't need depth on the left side. 

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No to Gardiner

Leaning towards 'no' to Myers

VAN shouldn't be handing out big expensive contracts to UFAs when they'll have to pay the kids in the next few years. They will be re-signing Edler and Schenn seems to be a gift they weren't expecting. I was fairly impressed with Sautner this year, and Brisebois looks okay (still undecided on him). Juolevi could also make the team and who knows how Woo is going to develop this summer. He's already got an NHL body. Imagine Woo and Schenn down the right side. And they're cheap.

Speaking of Schenn, is it possible that Benning had the foresight to know that Schenn and Hughes had this connection from Toronto and decided to trade for Schenn knowing Hughes would be playing in VAN soon? Schenn seems to be the perfect D partner for Hughes. And I'm certain Schenn will be a great mentor. So much better than Del Zotto.

TO connect???? Hughes daddy was Schenns skills coach when Quinnow was a fry? More to it than that?

25 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

No GM in his right mind is trading a 1st for Hutton lol 

yeah but the thought is nice. If Benning could re-sign Tryamkin prior to the draft maybe Hutty could get us a 3rd and prospect. 

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[discussion]  Signing Gardiner and Myers would ......

.....cripple this franchise financially as they would both want longer-term undoubtedly WITH clauses likely. 

Virt, EP, BB, Demko, Hughes, Marky.....all coming due in one form or another within a few seasons of each other.  Sorry,  but the cap isn't increasing that much that JB can be an ignoramous in UFA-land, not to mention expansion coming up soon. 

Stay the course - build through the draft. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

TO connect???? Hughes daddy was Schenns skills coach when Quinnow was a fart in a mitten? More to it than that?

Yeah I know, but it is a nice story. Schenn getting another chance at the NHL and seems to be taking advantage of that. Plus, he gets to play with the son of his rookie skills coach when he was just coming up. It's a great role for him, I'm really pulling for Schenn. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah but the thought is nice. If Benning could re-sign Tryamkin prior to the draft maybe Hutty could get us a 3rd and prospect. 

I forgot about Tryamkin, and it sounds like he could still be interested in returning. I just hope he doesn't bring any drama with him. (complaining about ice time, wanting too much money with next contract, demanding a trade, etc) 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah I know, but it is a nice story. Schenn getting another chance at the NHL and seems to be taking advantage of that. Plus, he gets to play with the son of his rookie skills coach when he was just coming up. It's a great role for him, I'm really pulling for Schenn. 

I forgot about Tryamkin, and it sounds like he could still be interested in returning. I just hope he doesn't bring any drama with him. (complaining about ice time, wanting too much money with next contract, demanding a trade, etc) 

Don't get me wrong I appreciate Schenn and what hes doing out there. I'm also a huge Bulldog fan. But if either of them are in our top 6 to start next season JB hasn't done his job. 

no.jpg.380eb661fbc92c2789fdace9a959726c.jpg

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How are you going to manage the cap space with needing to resign Boeser and Edler, then Petey's massive contract in 2 years (when Myers and Gardiner's contracts will almost surely still be on the books)?

Find a way to get rid of Sutter (shouldn’t be too difficult) and Eriksson (might take some creativity, but is doable imo).

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

Why are we going after D even the Leafs are willing to let go when their defence sucks?

The Leafs have very little cap room next season, so someone has to go.

Also as Gudbranson has proven, some people play better on other teams, better fit and expectations.

Personally I don't want Gardiner here, but he is a credible top 3 d man.

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

Why are we going after D even the Leafs are willing to let go when their defence sucks?

For depth.  Is Gardiner a world beater?  No.  Would he be an excellent 3rd pairing guy (albeit, overpriced) that could

1) Easily fill in on a 2nd pairing Incase of injuries and not look too far out of place.

2) Quarterback a 2nd PP Unit.

I think so.   

With Edler, Tanev, Gardiner, Myers, Stecher, and Hughes here, you’d have 6 guys that would basically be better than 3rd pairing status.  The last time we had a defensive set up like this was back in 2011.  Depth is long.

Archived