The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

20 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Everyone is gonna yell BPA!!!

I hope the Canucks, if they do take a D at 10, actually believe he is BPA.  They have drafted well lately so they get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Edit: plus everyone at hfturdburglar are saying Benning always telegraphs his moves. I do not recall many posters thinking we would take Petey!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

Not surprised Soderstrom is someone they're targeting, but would have thought Boldy was another.  Tone of the article seems to be that they're ready to take a dman unless one of the 2-3 forwards they want fall.  Then again, not many were expecting to hear Juolevi or Pettersson's names called.

• Upvote 1

According to the latest combined Mock drafts the players that are the most likely to be available at 10 through 15 would be Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, Soderstrom, Newhook and Kaliyev. Of the six I'd like either Krebs or Newhook. 

My 'Realistic, I hope he drops to 10' would be Podkolzin.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:11 AM, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Petey is 6'2", Marner 5'11" Gaudreau  5'9", 

Cole is listed as  5'7".

Not saying I would not like the pick, but that would be a risky one.

Skills are undeniable.

Theo Fleury was 5,6

On 5/12/2019 at 1:16 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

In Buttons updated mock draft byram goes 3rd to Chicago. Caufield goes as high as 5th And Podkolzin drops to like 15th. And we get broberg instead of soderstrom. 

Why is podkolzin dropping ?

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Is button right?  Then why take him?

I think ?Button is partly correct.  Podkolzin plays a lot like a Tkatchuk.  He’s really good along the walls, and hard on pucks.  He’s just not flashy in open ice.  I think he’d be great with Petey.  

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t take too much stock in JB media draft talk. He’s playing and not going to tell anyone his real players he’s eyeing. Last years draft he said he liked the Forwards in a D heavy draft. JB drafted Quinn and Jett Woo two great dmen.

Until JB makes the pick it’s anyones guess. 

I would love to see the real JBs wish list for the #10 pick. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning: “Defencemen are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like. If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him.” #Canucks

It sounds like they like a mid-round Dman with the #10. Maybe it`s Harley? Maybe it`s Broberg or Seider? Well, if they go with a D, at least that pick will improve the backend for years to come. Add him to Hughes, Juolevi and Woo and it`s looking good.    

They also said they wanted a forward the year they took OJ (I think they wanted PLD and OJ was the back-up plan).    I’d expect they are talking about Broberg and Seider....projected to go just past the halfway point of the first round.  Soderstrom around 12.    Wonder what “that guy” is that they are talking about?  Broberg?  Seider?   Wouldn’t be the end of the world, especially if they do better than anticipated....Looks like this team is drafting backwards.   If they use their second for a defenseman too like last year and we get another Woo out of it, maybe it will even work..RHD makes more sense than Broberg...unless he doesn’t plan to re-sign Edler and goes after Myers which makes a lot of sense.

Risky IMO, but he’s the boss.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

If they use their second for a defenseman too like last year and we get another Woo out of it, maybe it will even work

I think there could still be a few good D when we pick again at #40. Maybe we get Thomson or Korczak, maybe Heinola, Vlasic or Bjornfot are even still kicking around. Like Benning was saying, lots of D, but not much at the high end. So, why not wait until the 2nd to take a D? I`m now hoping for this. Who`s to say Harley will be better than Bjornfot in 5 years? Could be the other way around.  Maybe it`s risky taking a D at #10 this year. After Byram and maybe Soderstrom, it`s a gamble. Save it for the 2nd. 

Be nice to get Boldy and Thomson with the first 2 picks, as an example. That`s like two 1st rounders IMO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think there could still be a few good D when we pick again at #40. Maybe we get Thomson or Korczak, maybe Heinola, Vlasic or Bjornfot are even still kicking around. Like Benning was saying, lots of D, but not much at the high end. So, why not wait until the 2nd to take a D? I`m now hoping for this. Who`s to say Harley will be better than Bjornfot in 5 years? Could be the other way around.  Maybe it`s risky taking a D at #10 this year. After Byram and maybe Soderstrom, it`s a gamble. Save it for the 2nd. 

Be nice to get Boldy and Thomson with the first 2 picks, as an example. That`s like two 1st rounders IMO

I’m feeling exactly the same way.  We need another top six guy and this draft is loaded with them. A center would be nice, there are 6 in the top eleven...you can never have enough and he could play the wing-move over if we have an injury etc, take draws when EP or Horvat get moved out by the ref etc.  Could possibly even be Horvats replacement later, hate to say it but in two years if we are still weak on D we could trade him.  

Use our second for a defenseman that’s slipped.  Plus picking at ten a very good player might slip and end up on our lap like last draft for EDM and the NYIs who all picked guys who were predicted to go top six-ten.    If we are lucky we get both a top line player and a top four defenseman....

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’m feeling exactly the same way.  We need another top six guy and this draft is loaded with them. A center would be nice, there are 6 in the top eleven...you can never have enough and he could play the wing-move over if we have an injury etc, take draws when EP or Horvat get moved out by the ref etc.  Could possibly even be Horvats replacement later, hate to say it but in two years if we are still weak on D we could trade him.  

Use our second for a defenseman that’s slipped.  Plus picking at ten a very good player might slip and end up on our lap like last draft for EDM and the NYIs who all picked guys who were predicted to go top six-ten.    If we are lucky we get both a top line player and a top four defenseman....

Yeah I'm still of the opinion that even if they have a D they like in the top 10 (besides Byram) that the likelihood of a forward they have ranked higher still being there at 10 is just too high for us to not likely end up with a forward.

That said, I'm fine with any of Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Seider, Soderstrom etc... I'll even defer to Benning, Bracket and co on Broberg if they truly think he's the real deal (even though I feel he's more of a 15-20'ish pick).

Sure wouldn't hate adding a second first though if it meant we could have two of them... Take a forward with 10 OA and then add a 15'ish+/- pick and get the best D left standing of Seider, Soderstrom, Heinola, York, Broberg, Harley...

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3