The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

1 minute ago, cowboy644 said:

I'm liking the way a couple people are thinking.If the Canucks can not draft  aplayer that can make this team in 2 years,trade the pick.There isn't time to develop a 2019 pick.This team has to put together a playoff team for next year.Not a cup team,just a playoff team.Package some guys for either a  quality D man or a winger for Bo.Benninig should be gone after today and look for a gm or an  quality assistant from a team who can get creative.Jim is not the guy to get creative.It's paramount that this off season foretells the next 3 seasons.

I couldn't disagree more. You want Benning gone and this offseason is an indicator of the next 3 years but you want this off season to including trading a top 10 pick, trading for developed players and short cutting to become a playoff team?

If the 10th pick is a player who won't play for us for 3/4 years then then problem isn't the pick, it's who we chose. and if at 10 that's the best that's left, then we wait for that player to develop. "There isn't time to develop a 2019 pick"? Then will there be time to develop a 2020 pick? How about 2021? What about when we eventually make the playoffs and we're picking in the 20's? Will there be time then? We may find another Boeser in the 20's and McCann is looking decent 5 years and 3 teams since his draft. Players take time and some won't work out (Shinkaruk) but you don't trade the pick because there "isn't time". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Assuming: Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens, Krebs, Dach and Broberg are off the table. Broberg is the more electrifying player (over Soderstrom) and I think a team in the top 10 will want him. 

Zegras

Boldy

Caufield

Newhook

Soderstrom

• Upvote 1

I would really like the story of Byram coming to Van but unless we move up he's gone.

I really think we go after a D-Man so if thats Broberg or Soderstom or if we trade down to get another pick. At the same BPA usually works. No matter what at 10 were gonna get a solid player.

It is funny how different the TSN/Sportsnet rankings are. TSN says we get Soderstrom, Sportsnet's going with Krebs (ranking wise)

Edited by FutureFilm
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think Benning is going to look at trading up and by up I mean #1 or #2, something tells me he really wants Hughes to play with his brother and wants that chemistry between them. Could be like when Burke made the trades to get the Sedins, something kind of similar to guarantee the guy you want.

If Chicago had one of the top 2 picks you would have the assets to get that done as I think Markstrom looks very attractive to Chicago. Who would be a cup contender with him. But NY and NJ do not need a goalie and then you are looking at giving up a major core piece to get Hughes which is extremely risky. I think it will cost Boeser or Horvat honestly.

Maybe you can get The 3 from Chicago and then flip the 3 for 1 or 2 with some prospects but that's unlikely.

• Upvote 2

Boldy's an intriguing option who may very well become a star at the NHL level. I understand why lots here are clamoring for him, although I'm not sure I pick him top-10.

His skating, while it's improved noticeably, is a concern; his stride is bad, he doesn't accelerate quickly, and his top speed is average at best. He doesn't have much ability to drive defenders back or beat them 1-on-1 in transitions, and he will not likely be a consistent threat on the rush.

He does, however, have a high hockey IQ, processes the game extremely quickly and has a habit of making high-percentage plays rather intuitively, even when they're not apparent as options. Part of me feels that he would have wonderful chemistry with Pettersson, but that might not be the best reason to draft a guy--BPA, etc., etc...

We also have to consider to what extent he's a product of Zegras.

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Moritz Seider, the best German defenseman since Christian Ehrhoff.  

Seider would certainly solve a positional need (RD), and he could be a beast. He`s ranked a bit lower, and not really sure why (injury?), but he is playing against men already in the German league.

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "The next few blueliners after Byram also possess solid puck skills, but Germany's Moritz Seider comes the closest to matching his complete arsenal. He is a steady contributor in the German elite league, where he logs top-four minutes and sees power-play time."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Same worries about Petey and Johnny Hockey.  Marner isn’t big either.  We need a dynamic winger, who can drive the play.  Maybe this kid can become that player?  

He's an elite goal scorer but is he really dynamic? Scoring is his game, what else does he bring?

He's a trigger man. As a winger its going to be harder for him to drive the play especially at his size. He certainly doesn't drive the play like Jack Hughes but he can definitely finish it.

Hard to project who to take because players you might expect to be there at 10 probably won't and players you don't expect to be there probably will. 

Aside from the pipe dream of moving up to like, the top 4 without giving up a future core piece, you have to take the BPA emphasizing speed & skill.

I somewhat trust Benning and his scouting crew.  Wouldn't be surprised to see another pick a bit off the board.

Caufield is probably the one I am eyeing.  He is extremely talented.  I am not keen on getting even smaller, but that is the trend in todays NHL, and presumably he would be put with Horvat and maybe Pearson, so at least they can be the size on that line.

• Upvote 2