The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

On 4/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

Um that 2020 1st alone could be better than Hughes. The 2020 1st is a non starter. 

I cant believe people actually think we will for sure make the plays offs next year. We went from 5th worse to 9th worst.  That’s not a lot. We can actually drop and the 2020 1st could haunt us forever.

Well nothing saying that the 2020 pick can’t be lottery protected.. specifics like that could be fine tuned..

Anyways, the argument is that if you know what you’re getting in Hughes is great then would it matter what next years maybe might bring you?

like if you were picking McDavid or Matthews does that change your mind, would you do the trade then?

If so then the argument is based on whether you like/believe in Hughes or not, which is a fine argument. Personally I have 0 clue other than the murmurs that’s he’s a damn special player but I trust in JB and Judd Bracket’s scouting to make that determination and if they were to make a deal like that it’d be because he’s a lock to make an impact on the team.

Just stay put. Hughes is not a can’t miss talent like a macdavid or mackinnon. What if he turns out to be hischier? 

Another problem is the brother tandem thing could be a mistake. What if we need to trade one and we can’t, what if both want to leave and we can’t get fair value for both etc etc 

sedins was the best brother tandem in the history of pro sports. It will not happen again, let it pass.......

I don't see the value of acquiring Hughes as a winger. Nevermind the excuse of depth, you have to play him at the center position if you'll be throwing mad proposals like I've seen in this thread. Personally, I'd go for Kakkoo or stay put at 10 and motivate the guy they pick how he should have gone #1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, peaches5 said:

The only Obvious players who are untouchables are Pettersson and Hughes. Horvat is 100% expendable if you're trading for a 1st overall centre and already have a number 1 two way centre in Pettersson. Markstrom made this team look way better than it actually was. Without Markstrom, this team was last in the NHL. If you give up Horvat + keep your first this year and get the first overall... The rebuild is looking pretty solid. 

I would do a deal for the first overall pick even if it includes boeser or horvat. As long we keep our pick at 10. Boeser is RFA so having a top line center at the start of entry level fits our timing better. I would never overpay for the first and Boeser and Horvat are proven talents so we’re not giving them away so basically only if it’s a fair deal. 

3 minutes ago, South Cariboo Canuck said:

How about we move up to #2 and take Kak?

Say goodbye to at least 2 of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, and/or Hughes. lol

(Or similar value. That's why is extremely rare, if at all, to see anyone trade up to number 2 in the history of the draft)

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Say goodbye to at least 2 of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, and/or Hughes. lol

(Or similar value. That's why is extremely rare, if at all, to see anyone trade up to number 2 in the history of the draft)

Pettersson and Boeser for the #2 overall pick? Pettersson alone is worth more than the #2.

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

Pettersson and Boeser for the #2 overall pick? Pettersson alone is worth more than the #2.

And, like I said, this is why the 2nd overall is not generally traded. Because if you didn't offer at least Pettersson, the other team would laugh at you, and that's just the start of the negotiations.

Fans make like it would be easy to get that pick and probably offer our "scraps" for it, but think about it. If you could draft Kakko and someone comes along and offers a bunch of players and picks not as good as Kakko, why would you even think of making that trade? Would you rather have a player to base your team around or a mediocre team? Thus, one of our stars would HAVE to be the starting point of the negotiation.

Edited by The Lock

26 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And, like I said, this is why the 2nd overall is not generally traded. Because if you didn't offer at least Pettersson, the other team would laugh at you, and that's just the start of the negotiations.

Fans make like it would be easy to get that pick and probably offer our "scraps" for it, but think about it. If you could draft Kakko and someone comes along and offers a bunch of players and picks not as good as Kakko, why would you even think of making that trade? Would you rather have a player to base your team around or a mediocre team? Thus, one of our stars would HAVE to be the starting point of the negotiation.

Well, yes, of course there are a lot of CDCers making posts where we exchange spare parts for a potential franchise player. On the flip side, trading away a franchise #1C AND adding either a top-end #2C, first line winger or a player both the Hockey News and ESPN ranked as a top 2 prospect in the world is not a reality either. A proposal for Kakko wouldn't start at Pettersson, it would end there.

12 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Well, yes, of course there are a lot of CDCers making posts where we exchange spare parts for a potential franchise player. On the flip side, trading away a franchise #1C AND adding either a top-end #2C, first line winger or a player both the Hockey News and ESPN ranked as a top 2 prospect in the world is not a reality either. A proposal for Kakko wouldn't start at Pettersson, it would end there.

I'm not so sure about that. If we want that 2nd overall pick, we are instantly put at a disadvantage because it's US wanting to trade up and not them wanting to trade the pick. We are then buyers while they are not sellers; therefore, we would have to offer more than the value of Kakko.

Kakko could easily be just as good (possibly better or worse) than Pettersson. We are going to be bias on this forum because Pettersson is our man so we think he's worth more than is actual value.

Don't underestimate Kakko or the value of that 2nd overall pick, since it doesn't even have to be Kakko. It can be whoever they want which makes it even worth more than Kakko himself.

Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't make a call. I imagine the conversation will be very brief. They would want Pettersson or Boeser packaged with players and picks. Too hefty a price for an unknown. Jack Hughes looks like he'll be great, but I find that some of these kids (Patrick, Hischier, etc) struggle at first. They're used to dominating in their respective leagues, but once they get to the NHL, production stops, the play is faster and more physical, less time and space. I'm sure Jack will be a good player, but not worth the price to acquire. Maybe we'll get Broberg and he'll crush Jack Hughes lol

29 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not so sure about that. If we want that 2nd overall pick, we are instantly put at a disadvantage because it's US wanting to trade up and not them wanting to trade the pick. We are then buyers while they are not sellers; therefore, we would have to offer more than the value of Kakko.

Kakko could easily be just as good (possibly better or worse) than Pettersson. We are going to be bias on this forum because Pettersson is our man so we think he's worth more than is actual value.

Don't underestimate Kakko or the value of that 2nd overall pick, since it doesn't even have to be Kakko. It can be whoever they want which makes it even worth more than Kakko himself.

NYR would swap #2 for Pettersson in a heartbeat... not sure what you are going on about (not that your points are invalid, but just that they do not make the #2 pick worth more than one of the top rookies in the game). 

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

NYR would swap #2 for Pettersson in a heartbeat... not sure what you are going on about (not that your points are invalid, but just that they do not make the #2 pick worth more than one of the top rookies in the game). 

And this is exactly what I mean. We overvalue our top prospects and think they are worth more than #1 or #2, even if they aren't. This is the bias we have because it's our player. Automatically, people on this forum think "NYR would take Pettersson for the #2 in a heartbeat" and then ignore who that #2 potentially is.

Needless to say, I maintain my stance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

And this is exactly what I mean. We overvalue our top prospects and think they are worth more than #1 or #2, even if they aren't. This is the bias we have because it's our player. Automatically, people on this forum think "NYR would take Pettersson for the #2 in a heartbeat" and then ignore who that #2 potentially is.

Needless to say, I maintain my stance.

You're right.

We are the ones asking for the trade. 

Easy way is to turn the scenario around. If we had 2nd OA, what would we want in return for 2OA...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You're right.

We are the ones asking for the trade. 

Easy way is to turn the scenario around. If we had 2nd OA, what would we want in return for 2OA...

Exactly. If we had that #2 and were suddenly offered Eichel or something (as an example of similar point totals). Eichel's a good player, but can you imagine how crazy these forums would blow up over that?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1