The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Canucks Report Card

Rate this topic

-AJ-

2018-19 Report Card  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Being disappointed in Eriksson seems strange. What do you expect after year #1 and #2. Seems like yet another example of not being able to separate contract and player. If you asked 'are you happy with LE's play for 6mil per year ?', then absolutely not !! At this stage, what he gave this year is exactly what should have been expected !

Agreed.  I don’t know if any guy really surprised me one way or another.  

9 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Being disappointed in Eriksson seems strange. What do you expect after year #1 and #2. Seems like yet another example of not being able to separate contract and player. If you asked 'are you happy with LE's play for 6mil per year ?', then absolutely not !! At this stage, what he gave this year is exactly what should have been expected !

It was more based off last year. Based on his production last year, I had hopes that he had left his worst years behind him and was hoping for 35-40 points. I didn't expect him to be as bad as his 1st year in Vancouver again.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

How can a team that missed the playoffs yet again have ZERO players with FAILING grades.

I wish some of you would have been marking me back when i was in highschool....  EASY pass from you guys..

"I personally put a pretty heavy emphasis on expectation vs reality when it comes to my report cards"

Did you expect this team to make the playoffs?

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  I don’t know if any guy really surprised me one way or another.  

I was surprised by Pettersson for sure.  He became an NHL 1st line C, despite not playing C in Sweden.  A+

Bo's incredible season was a surprise as well.  Despite playing most of the season with questionable linemates (the season before he had Vanek and Boeser), as well as having to take on defensive duties with the Beagle or Sutter injuries.

This year, he put up 1st line points, carried the team on his back often enough, took care of d-zone duties and sealed his captaincy.  A+

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I was surprised by Pettersson for sure.  He became an NHL 1st line C, despite not playing C in Sweden.  A+

Bo's incredible season was a surprise as well.  Despite playing most of the season with questionable linemates (the season before he had Vanek and Boeser), as well as having to take on defensive duties with the Beagle or Sutter injuries.

This year, he put up 1st line points, carried the team on his back often enough, took care of d-zone duties and sealed his captaincy.  A+

Yes those two were great, but I wasn’t surprised by their doing that well.  

Tried to not include players who didn't surpass 30 games, their performance is probably not indicative of long term contributions. The most notable cases for me this year were probably Goldobin, Markstrom, and Tanev.

I initially thought Goldobin would benefit from bonding with someone like Pettersson, who is the embodiment of the superstar mentality. Petey's work ethic and attention to detail are unrivalled on this team. Unfortunately, nothing this season showed me that Goldobin was looking to improve his game. Instead, it appeared to me as if Goldobin was trying to modify his existing game in order to satisfy the coaching staff. Every time he received praise from Green it was like visible cruise control button was pressed.

He's a likeable kid who says all the right things, but talk is cheap. He has no place on this team if he doesn't take a big step in the offseason.

Markstrom, what can you say. Stats show he hasn't taken a step since last year but those who have watched the games know. The man is one of the fiercest competitors on the team and working with Ian Clark has clearly made a big difference in his ability to bring consistency to his game. Looking forward to him holding down the fort next year as well.

Tanev might have been the biggest disappointment for me this year. I'm not sure if it's the compounding effect of multiple injuries or if it was just a down year for him but he was making a lot of noticeable mistakes on the defensive side of thing this year that I am not accustomed to seeing from him. That being said, he is our best defender and I hope he has a productive, healthy offseason. He'll likely be logging big minutes again next year.

Forwards:

E. Pettersson: A

B. Horvat: A-

T. Motte: B+

A. Roussel: B

J. Leivo: B-

J. Beagle: B-

B. Boeser: B-

J. Virtanen: B-

A. Gaudette: C+

M. Granlund: C+

N. Goldobin: C

T. Schaller: C

L. Eriksson: C-

S. Baertschi: N/A

R. Spooner: N/A

B. Sutter:  N/A

T. Pearson: N/A

Defensemen:

A. Biega: B

A. Edler: B

T. Stecher: B

B. Hutton: B-

C. Tanev: C+

E. Gudbranson: C

D. Pouliot: D

L. Schenn: N/A

Q. Hughes: N/A

A. Sautner: N/A

Goalies:

J. Markstrom: A

T. Demko: N/A

Edited by Mathew Barzal

16 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Tried to not include players who didn't surpass 30 games, their performance is probably not indicative of long term contributions. The most notable cases for me this year were probably Goldobin, Markstrom, and Tanev.

I initially thought Goldobin would benefit from bonding with someone like Pettersson, who is the embodiment of the superstar mentality. Petey's work ethic and attention to detail are unrivalled on this team. Unfortunately, nothing this season showed me that Goldobin was looking to improve his game. Instead, it appeared to me as if Goldobin was trying to modify his existing game in order to satisfy the coaching staff. Every time he received praise from Green it was like visible cruise control button was pressed.

He's a likeable kid who says all the right things, but talk is cheap. He has no place on this team if he doesn't take a big step in the offseason.

Markstrom, what can you say. Stats show he hasn't taken a step since last year but those who have watched the games know. The man is one of the fiercest competitors on the team and working with Ian Clark has clearly made a big difference in his ability to bring consistency to his game. Looking forward to him holding down the fort next year as well.

Tanev might have been the biggest disappointment for me this year. I'm not sure if it's the compounding effect of multiple injuries or if it was just a down year for him but he was making a lot of noticeable mistakes on the defensive side of thing this year that I am not accustomed to seeing from him. That being said, he is our best defender and I hope he has a productive, healthy offseason. He'll likely be logging big minutes again next year.

Forwards:

E. Pettersson: A

B. Horvat: A-

T. Motte: B+

A. Roussel: B

J. Leivo: B-

J. Beagle: B-

B. Boeser: B-

J. Virtanen: B-

A. Gaudette: C+

M. Granlund: C+

N. Goldobin: C

T. Schaller: C

L. Eriksson: C-

S. Baertschi: N/A

R. Spooner: N/A

B. Sutter:  N/A

T. Pearson: N/A

Defensemen:

A. Biega: B

A. Edler: B

T. Stecher: B

B. Hutton: B-

C. Tanev: C+

E. Gudbranson: C

D. Pouliot: D

L. Schenn: N/A

Q. Hughes: N/A

A. Sautner: N/A

Goalies:

J. Markstrom: A

T. Demko: N/A

r

Wow, not one failing grade for a forward....  ?   Did our club just win the Stanley Cup or President Cup... ?

Really , one of the worst D groups in the NHL and you gave out only 1 D.

This thread reminds me of Christmas....   giving gifts away...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow, not one failing grade for a forward....  ?   Did our club just win the Stanley Cup or President Cup... ?

I'm not going to give way bad grades just because players are being forced into roles above their pay grade. That's not their fault.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not going to give way bad grades just because players are being forced into roles above their pay grade. That's not their fault.

When players are struggling... it is absolutely their fault.

This is professional  sports not a CHARITY organization. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

i Think everyone understands how you feel. 

• Cheers 1

Forwards:

Pettersson: A+

Horvat:  A

Boeser: A-

Roussel: A-

Leivo: B

Pearson: B

Baertschi: B-

Motte: B-

Virtanen: C+

Gaudette: C

Granlund: C

Beagle: C

Goldobin: C-

Sutter: C-

Spooner: D

Eriksson: D

Schaller: F

Defensemen:

Edler: A

Hughes: A-

Stecher: B+  

Schenn: B

Hutton: B-

Tanev: B-

Biega: C+

Sautner: C 

Pouliot: D

Goalies:

Markstrom: A+

Demko: B+

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Well to be perfectly honest my expectations are to never see him in a Canucks jersey ever again. 

So yes, I was really disappointed.

• Haha 2

He made it pretty clear that it was based on how they performed relative to his own expectations. They are not absolute grades and can't be compared to each other, much less to other teams or an absolute standard. 

Pearson with an A is obviously not an equivalent player to Horvat with an A. He just exceeded the (relatively low) expectations for him. 

Considering that most people expected this team to be hot garbage, they did better than most people expected. It makes sense that their grades relative to expectations would be generally quite good. Grade them relative to a GOOD team and I admit it looks a lot less pretty. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When players are struggling... it is absolutely their fault.

This is professional  sports not a CHARITY organization. 

If your teams best forward was Tyler Motte, and you put Motte on the first line, is it his fault he can't score 30 goals and 70 points?

Edited by Mathew Barzal
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

If your teams best forward was Tyler Motte, and you put Motte on the first line, is it his fault he can't score 30 goals and 70 points?

Yes, of course it is.

Guys that make excuses would never become pro hockey players....  To become good enough for the show... you have to accept responsibility for your own performances on the ice each and every game.  NHL players i would think  are harder on themselves than coaches  / media  or fans.

• Wat 1

Pettersson - A

Horvat - B+

Boeser -  B

Roussel - B

Pearson - B-

Leivo - B-

Beagle- C

Motte - C

Virtanen - C-

Gaudette - C-

Goldobin - C-

Eriksson - D+

Schaller-F

Spooner-F

Granlund-F

Stecher-B

Edler - B

Tanev - C+

Hutton - C+

Schenn- C

Biega-C

Pouliot-F

Gudbranson *- F- - or G

Not enough info:

Hughes (projected A) 

Baertschi (was a B)

Sutter (was a C) 

Saunter (C ish) 

Teves (C ish) 

Brisebois (C ish) 

McEwen (C ish) 

These are my own personal rankings of how I felt they played. Most players still have a lot of upside 

I feel like the defense got a little better when Guddy left. I like the guy, but not on my team. 

• Upvote 1