The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Maximize our assets!

Hey Canuck's fans, it's been a while since I made a proposal, but seeing this is one of the most critical off-seasons in the last 20 years of this franchise here I go.

The pieces that I consider to have value, and that I would consider trading are;

• Sutter
  • Hutton
  • Pearson
  • Demko- depending on how he does at the worlds, or Markstrom- ready to be a true-legit #1.
  • 10th OA- 2019 entry draft

If the Sharks exit early here, there is no doubt they will need to make shifts. So where do they need to improve, and where do they have strengths?

Needs;

• Goal-tending.
  • A 200' center that will pot 15-20 goals, kill penalties, and shut down the other teams 2nd line center.
  • Cap Relief.

Assets;

• Forwards.

1. So B.Sutter when healthy is exactly what the Sharks need, and his health has honestly been more bad luck then anything else, and Demko (If he show well at worlds, or Markstom who's ready to run as a starter) would fit very nicely as Del and Jones have failed.

If the Canuck's eat half of Sutter's contract he becomes a really valuable player. 

For,

Evander Kane.

2. Winnipeg is in a serious pickle in regard to cap issues, and I believe like many that Trouba will be available, but do the Canucks have the assets to pull this one off. I think they do.

Needs;

• Cap relief.
  • Young, puck moving defender, but cheaper.
  • Another high pick could help keep the wealth of prospects flowing, which would allow for the Jets to sustain and prolong their dominance. 

Assets;

• Talented young defenders.

2. So Hutton, Pearson (Canucks eat half of contract), and our 2019 10th OA pick.

for,

Jacob Trouba.

These two pieces are massive upgrades to the Canucks core.

If  the Canucks are able to sign Gardner and Zuccarello when free agency rolls around. The team looks more talented, more mobile, and more physical.

New look lines;

Kane   Pettersson   Boeser

Baertschi  Horvat  Zuccarello

Leivo   Gaudette  Virtanen

Roussel  Beagle MacKewan/Motte

Gardner    Tanev

Hughes   Trouba

Edler   Stecher

Our starting goalie would be the one not traded...

Thoughts...Flame away

Canuck fans need to understand that Brandon Sutter has ZERO trade value.  He's constantly on the IR, isn't productive when he plays, and has two more years at 4million+. At this point, if we could give him, we should jump at it.

6 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Canuck fans need to understand that Brandon Sutter has ZERO trade value.  He's constantly on the IR, isn't productive when he plays, and has two more years at 4million+. At this point, if we could give him, we should jump at it.

Yeah I have no idea how anyone would think hes worth evander kane.

20 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Sutter has value.  To any team with a high end rookie center that needs some shelter.  He was incredibly durable before becoming a Canuck.  I can only surmise that his injuries have been of the freak, and not of the chronic variety. We are a better team with him in the line up, therefore, he has value.

As for the OP.  Pearson isn't going anywhere.  He has some chemistry with Bo.  Bo's only steady winger in the whole season.  Maybe at the 2020 TDL, he is moved if we are tanking, or the chemistry goes away.  He has a unique skillset. Good size with speed and hands.

Agree on Hutton. He pulled his value out of the gutter to.. tradeable.  I don't know what he is worth honestly.  He is at best a 4th D on a bad team, and a bottom pair/bubble guy on a contender.

Demko probably isn't going anywhere.  He is cheap.  And has nowhere to go but up in trade value.  Similar position as the circa 2009/10ish Canucks with Schnieds just breaking in, and a solid starter.  A solid platoon is how you build a winner.  Do. Not. Eff. With. The. Goalies.

No way Benning trades our 10th at a hometown draft.  Unless its a sideways or upwards move.  If someone in the 11-14 spot reallllly wants whoever is available at 10, and we get their pick and another late 1st or high 2nd, Benning probably does it.  And do not be surprised if we move up a few spots in similar fashion if someone is available Jim just has to have /coughbyram.

Tanev, as injured as he can be, is still one of our best trade chips.  A darling of the advanced stats, still, he is worth a late 1st rounder to the right team.  Like maybe the Jets.  I would be happy to have him stay too, he is good when he is in the line up.

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

Hey Canuck's fans, it's been a while since I made a proposal, but seeing this is one of the most critical off-seasons in the last 20 years of this franchise here I go.

The pieces that I consider to have value, and that I would consider trading are;

• Sutter
  • Hutton
  • Pearson
  • Demko- depending on how he does at the worlds, or Markstrom- ready to be a true-legit #1.

If the Sharks exit early here, there is no doubt they will need to make shifts. So where do they need to improve, and where do they have strengths?

Needs;

• Goal-tending.
  • A 200' center that will pot 15-20 goals, kill penalties, and shut down the other teams 2nd line center.
  • Cap Relief.

Assets;

• Forwards.

1. So B.Sutter when healthy is exactly what the Sharks need, and his health has honestly been more bad luck then anything else, and Demko (If he show well at worlds, or Markstom who's ready to run as a starter) would fit very nicely as Del and Jones have failed.

If the Canuck's eat half of Sutter's contract he becomes a really valuable player. 

For,

Evander Kane.

2. Winnipeg is in a serious pickle in regard to cap issues, and I believe like many that Trouba will be available, but do the Canucks have the assets to pull this one off. I think they do.

Needs;

• Cap relief.
  • Another high pick could help keep the wealth of prospects flowing, which would allow for the Jets to sustain and prolong their dominance. 

Assets;

2. So Hutton, Pearson (Canucks eat half of contract), and our 2019 10th OA pick.

for,

Jacob Trouba.

If  the Canucks are able to sign Gardner and Zuccarello when free agency rolls around. The team looks more talented, more mobile, and more physical.

New look lines;

Gardner    Tanev

Hughes   Trouba

Edler   Stecher

Thoughts...Flame away

You are adding 4 players (Kane, Zuccarello, Gardiner and Trouba) that will be making at least $25M collectively on long term contracts. Where is that money coming from and how will you fund new contracts for Boeser, Petey and Hughes?

There's been a lot of talk about trading Markstrom or Demko. Why? The Canucks have really good goaltending and teams need that to win. Goaltending is the one thing they have. They're lacking in the top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

I like the idea of trading Sutter, and I'd be okay with Hutton leaving, but Pearson and Horvat have some chemistry and I think that would be a good line in the playoffs down the road. Maybe they could package Sutter with Tanev and get another 1st this year. 

EDIT -  I just realized that both of these guys are broken lol So, might not get a great return.

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's been a lot of talk about trading Markstrom or Demko. Why?

Because Raymond and Ballard are gone.

CDC always picks a player or two and creates a thousand unrealistic trade proposals for them.  It's kind of a tradition around here.

173-0715100320-23298296.jpg.b51af2f101223410fed3b424f2043d8d.jpg  B)

3 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

• Sutter
  • Hutton
  • Pearson

Needs;

• Goal-tending.
  • Cap Relief.

Assets;

• Forwards.

For,

Evander Kane.

Needs;

• Cap relief.

Assets;

for,

Jacob Trouba.

New look lines;

Gardner    Tanev

Hughes   Trouba

Edler   Stecher

Thoughts...Flame away

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

You are adding 4 players (Kane, Zuccarello, Gardiner and Trouba) that will be making at least $25M collectively on long term contracts. Where is that money coming from and how will you fund new contracts for Boeser, Petey and Hughes?

not to mention how are you going to protect all those players in next years expansion draft ?

Players to move

Eriksson to a cap floor team or player coach in Utica, LITR if he gets anything bumped or bruised at the Worlds

Sutter good depth centre/ face off help / shut down with some scoring

Spooner  depth player in Utica 

Tanev for conditional draft pick, based on his health

Pouliot low draft pick or Utica or release

Rafferty and Teves to start in Utica

something for Goldy or Granny if possible , maybe add ins in a trade

Biega stays as 7th or 8th Dman

maybe package any of these to move up in the draft

If florida is serious about getting bob and panarin they’ll need to make room. They wont be interested our junk but they do have a glut of great young wingers we could really use. Assuming we’d have to take in reimer, who could get paid to help dipietro out in utica. Perhaps adding some picks or prospects could get us serron noel, or maybe tippet if the add is right. They still have denisenko and heponiemi, who i’m sure are untouchables. Any deal like this will be when/if florida is able to sign them so after this years draft. benning should be more willing to move 2020 picks. 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, xereau said:

Sutter has value.  To any team with a high end rookie center that needs some shelter.  He was incredibly durable before becoming a Canuck.  I can only surmise that his injuries have been of the freak, and not of the chronic variety. We are a better team with him in the line up, therefore, he has value.

As for the OP.  Pearson isn't going anywhere.  He has some chemistry with Bo.  Bo's only steady winger in the whole season.  Maybe at the 2020 TDL, he is moved if we are tanking, or the chemistry goes away.  He has a unique skillset. Good size with speed and hands.

Agree on Hutton. He pulled his value out of the gutter to.. tradeable.  I don't know what he is worth honestly.  He is at best a 4th D on a bad team, and a bottom pair/bubble guy on a contender.

Demko probably isn't going anywhere.  He is cheap.  And has nowhere to go but up in trade value.  Similar position as the circa 2009/10ish Canucks with Schnieds just breaking in, and a solid starter.  A solid platoon is how you build a winner.  Do. Not. Eff. With. The. Goalies.

No way Benning trades our 10th at a hometown draft.  Unless its a sideways or upwards move.  If someone in the 11-14 spot reallllly wants whoever is available at 10, and we get their pick and another late 1st or high 2nd, Benning probably does it.  And do not be surprised if we move up a few spots in similar fashion if someone is available Jim just has to have /coughbyram.

Tanev, as injured as he can be, is still one of our best trade chips.  A darling of the advanced stats, still, he is worth a late 1st rounder to the right team.  Like maybe the Jets.  I would be happy to have him stay too, he is good when he is in the line up.

I agree with all of this except that Sutters value has reached the realm of nobody wanting him and that cap hit.  Maybe if he plays well and is healthy all the way to next years TDL someone would like to have him for depth during their playoff run (us if we are still in it).  He could be traded then but not before that.  

As an aside for those that think Trouba’s available think again, he’s getting signed (and for less than Hutton and Pearson’s combined cap hit once Hutton gets a new contract) and Myers will walk.  No way they decide to sign Myers and trade Trouba.  He’s an excellent defenseman entering his early prime and Byfuglien can’t do it forever.  

Tanev to the Jets is a good call.  Brothers united and a cheap cap hit for what you get.  Replaces losing Myers and possibly an upgrade when he plays too.  Not sure what we could get for him...a late first sounds about right but given they might not have him for long a second could be just as likely, plus maybe a B level prospect.  

IF Benning can find a comparable RHD available for Hutton he should pull the trigger as soon as possible.  Hughes and Edler can manage the blue line with one of Brisbois or Sautner until OJ is ready.  Sign Schenn.  He’s a perfect bottom pairing RHD until Woo is ready. 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:57 PM, NUCKER67 said:

There's been a lot of talk about trading Markstrom or Demko. Why? The Canucks have really good goaltending and teams need that to win. Goaltending is the one thing they have. They're lacking in the top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

I like the idea of trading Sutter, and I'd be okay with Hutton leaving, but Pearson and Horvat have some chemistry and I think that would be a good line in the playoffs down the road. Maybe they could package Sutter with Tanev and get another 1st this year. 

EDIT -  I just realized that both of these guys are broken lol So, might not get a great return.

Most of that is because Markstrom MIGHT have some value (for maybe a second or third rounder see Dubnyk), part of it could be we can’t protect them both in the Seattle expansion draft without exposing another two skaters.  We can either protect seven forwards, three defenseman and one goalie or one goalie and eight skaters any position.  Is Markstrom worth exposing two additional skaters?  Or does it make more sense to let him continue to improve his value, then hope for a TDL deal where a teams goalies are in question, bend them over the barrel a bit and get some picks or prospects out of him then...I’d strongly consider that scenario.  Not having to protect Hughes is a bonus.  

A lot of that depends on Demko play, so far he’s doing well and appears to be our future number one.  It’s easy to find a veteran back-up and we also have Diepetro too.  And last years Thiessen (is that right) too.  If we stand to lose him anyways, and we’d also be up against him often in our division, it makes a lot of sense to trade him if the value is right. Part of that equation is who we have to leave unprotected to keep him and Demko, and if it’s worth that.  We’d only have seven spots left.

Boeser, EP, Horvat, Edler, OJ, JV and who else...

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] - Maximize our assets!

Archived