The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

In the long run, I’d rather the Canucks employ a very large and known pugilist than an indifferent, defensively savvy meme in waiting. 

If Benning makes that trade with a significant draft pick or Darnell Nurse, I’m all for it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

yes, it's part of what is negotiated in the process of waiving to be dealt - whether or not it travels / remains in effect with the new club.

At least in this case, in waiving the worst case for Lucic would be to wind up in Seattle = much nicer than Deadmonton, and still close to his family.

If Benning is able to make the trade with the annulment of the clause, I say go for it 

There is a way to have Lucic and to negate his NMC to protect a young player/prospect.  If Edmonton is able to supply some draft picks, at least an additional 2nd rounder... it could be used to "bribe" Seattle to take a less prominent asset.  

• Upvote 1

Let’s bring the big lug home. Being home should rejuvenate the big guy. He was standing proud at the Giants honouring of him.

He’s the guy you don’t see coming because you’re over confident. When you wake up a few seconds later, you realize the perspective of the world has shifted from under your feet without your conscious knowledge.

By the time you wobble your way back to the bench, the fear has set in your teammates’ eyes.

Hes the guy that shows up exactly at the time things changed.

Like oldnews mentioned, the Canucks got heavier with the addition of Miller, Myers and Benn and the Canucks don’t necessarily need to add Lucic.

However, adding Lucic to a soon-to-come-in Tryamkin and Podkolzin, this team becomes truly impossible to play against.

Whatever the lack of speed Lucic may possess is more than compensated by any of his line mates including Virtanen who could benefit from learning a few good pointers.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yes. If he waives his nmc to come here the Canucks do not have to honor it going forward.

Edit: at least that has been what has been said hear in the past numerous times.

Yeah, it’s all about the terms the acquiring team will accept. AFAIK, when a player waives the NMC, it’s basically gone. His agent can, at the time the clause is waived, request that an addendum be attached to any trade to reinstate the NMC. The acquiring team would need to agree to this, otherwise, the trade doesn’t happen. It’s part of terms of the exchange. So if (and hopefully this is the case) the NMC is a nonstarter for the Canucks, then Lucic could only be traded to Vancouver if he agrees the waive his clause and to not request that it be reinstated upon his arrival.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Let’s bring the big lug home. Being home should rejuvenate the big guy. He was standing proud at the Giants honouring of him.

He’s the guy you don’t see coming because you’re over confident. When you wake up a few seconds later, you realize the perspective of the world has shifted without your conscious knowledge.

By the time you wobble your way back to the bench, the fear has set in your teammates’ eyes.

Hes the guy that shows up exactly at the time things changed.

Like oldnews mentioned, the Canucks got heavier with the addition of Miller, Myers and Benn.

Adding Lucic to a soon to come in Tryamkin and Podkolzin, this team becomes truly impossible to play against.

Whatever the lack of speed Lucic may possess is more than compensated by any of his line mates including Virtanen who could benefit from learning a few good pointers.

Not terribly interested in Lucic unless what is added into the deal is too good to pass up on. Canucks don't need his physical game all that much after the recent signings. My biggest concern with Lucic and even Ericksson is the TOI they would take from prospects who need development and evaluation as the team moves towards serious CUP contention in 3 years. Neither of these two players will be on the next contender. 

As the Canuck roster becomes more competitive the role that Utica plays also becomes more critical. Improve the level of play in Utica and better prepared prospects can come up and challenge Canuck roster players. I would like to see McEwan get a serious look this season over dealing for Lucic. Baer, Sutter, Schaller, Rousell, Beagle and Ericksson are all likely gone within 3 seasons.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Benning is able to make the trade with the annulment of the clause, I say go for it 

I think I'd rather see them add asset(s) to move LE somewhere like Ottawa than get caught in a cut off to spite thing.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think I'd rather see them add asset(s) to move LE somewhere like Ottawa than get caught in a cut off to spite thing.

hey some friends and i have been drinkin ALL night. its 9:27 as im typing this. ill take 8 hours of sleep, a handful of advil and an other 12 pack if if we can get rid of the eriksson contract. taking the lucic one is like, me drinking all night long, like i am now, but i dont get the sleep or pills

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Eklund says: "Edmonton, after it pays Milan Lucic his $3M bonus July 17 may have found a trade partner to see the winger gone from the Oilers."

Now we know when we're getting him!!:towel::bigblush:

Really don't think that Benning sees making the team older, slower and less productive as part of his mandate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Lucic's 16 goals in the last two seasons for 12 million sure looks good alongside Ferland's 38 goals and 3.5 million contract.... gotta think the ship this rumour came in on has sailed.

Those road trips to Alberta oughta be entertaining.

Doubt it happens now but can you imagine

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Lucic Gaudette Virtanen

Rousell Beagle Leivo

Again not gonna happen but man I’d feel sorry for any D man having to deal with that forecheck.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Lucic's 16 goals in the last two seasons for 12 million sure looks good alongside Ferland's 38 goals and 3.5 million contract.... gotta think the ship this rumour came in on has sailed.

Ferland is much better value at 3.5 mil and I'm glad that we signed him.  

The discussion was centering on us sending Louie for Lucic and putting that 6 mil/season to work that we already have committed.  Our 6 million/season *ship has already sailed.  The question is who's the captain of that 6 mil/season boat, Louie or Lucic.  

If we manage to get rid of Louie's contract without taking a bad contract back then Jim Benning should be already given the Executive of the Year award for 2019.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

So nice of them to swap their mediocre goalies, thinking they've improved.  I'll bet Petey and the boys can't wait.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So nice of them to swap their mediocre goalies, thinking they've improved.  I'll bet Petey and the boys can't wait.

No doubt. I myself can't wait to see how McJesus likes playing the trap with Tippett.

I just dont see thelogic in that hire tbh. Good coach but wrong style for the minimal strengths the Coilers have.

FERLAND - PETTERSSON - BOESER

PEARSON - HORVAT - MILLER

LUCIC - GAUDETTE - VIRTANEN

MOTTE - BEAGLE - LEIVO

Roussel

EDLER - MYERS

BENN - HUGHES

STETCHER - FANTENBERG

Biega

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

Edited by Me_