The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WCF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Blues win series 4-2

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/14/2019 at 01:00 AM

28 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

C'mon Twilight - you can't tell me that if that call went against the Sharks last night you wouldn't feel the same way? Honestly even if it went against the Bruins I'd still feel the way I do - officiating in this league has become a joke. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Honestly tho, ITT there'd be a lot less outrage than there is now. It's only magnified so much because everyone's rooting against the sharks, and most would say they deserve it, if it happens the other way around. That's just how CDC works, and that's just how certain people think. I'm in the camp where, "it happened, too bad. The blues couldn't hold on for that final minute, couldn't score on the empty net. Anything can happen in OT" and we saw just that 

This isn't the officials fault. If just one guy said "he gloves it, but...," end of discussion. Goal stands, because that's the rules the GMs make as a committee. When there's a lot of bodies on the ice and there's a stick waving motion, and the ref believes there's contact with the stick, you really can't be THIS upset to start crying corrupt league because that's just silly, or crying incompetent refs, because thats just not the case. It's not incompetence from the refs, it's the rules, and we've heard, time and time again from the announcers, "the league doesn't want to take away goals" so instead of blaming the refs, blame how the rules are structured instead of wanting these guys being fired, and having garbage thrown at them

I wouldn't mind having every goal be reviewable. Sure, it would slow the game down, but I'd rather complain about that rather than an obvious missed pass.

If the league wants the game to faster, then they need to be sure that all goals are subject to scrutiny. Otherwise, you get arbitary limitations on what you can and cannot review.

41 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I wouldn't mind having every goal be reviewable. Sure, it would slow the game down, but I'd rather complain about that rather than an obvious missed pass.

If the league wants the game to faster, then they need to be sure that all goals are subject to scrutiny. Otherwise, you get arbitary limitations on what you can and cannot review.

The NFL reviews every scoring play. The NHL reviewing every play might take a while but I don’t care at this point. Take the time get it right. Plays like last night would literally take 5 seconds to review. 

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

The NFL reviews every scoring play. The NHL reviewing every play might take a while but I don’t care at this point. Take the time get it right. Plays like last night would literally take 5 seconds to review. 

but here is  issue. Lets say Petty scores a goal, the refs go and review. They end up finding that Boesor interfered or hooked someone but it went undetected, so do they now wave the goal off because Brock took a penalty before the goal?

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

23 minutes ago, Pears said:

The problem is that they spend 10 minutes making a decision and  yet still don't get it right

Everyone is always expecting a call, especially how it was ruled before, they they call it another way

I don't want to slow the game down, and STILL get inconsistent calls

Even now with video replay, no one knows what they will call on an obvious play

They look so bush league, and casual fan, will never understand or take serious 

The reffing situation is an absolutely disgusting, pathetic joke.

Not even saying its any different or worse than ever, either.

The players and teams both make enough money that it should probably be time for a complete insurrection.  In the media.  In social media.  On the ice even.  Just tell those arrogant wannabe stars in stripes right off every time they can.

On the next CBA, a total reffing overhaul needs to be a main focus and bargaining stand point.

As hard as it would be to have him do it, there is one man that could change it all.  #99 could very easily become a one man wrecking ball for the NHLOA.  Wayne is the most powerful man in hockey.  A few key words here and there, and the entire world takes notice.

We as fans do have power of the purse.  If we stop watching because of those morons in stripes, the league has no option but to do something.  We have the power. Do you have the gumption to put your money where your mouth is?  We can use social media against them.  Memes are a powerful tool.  Show up to game in moron ref jerseys and hick teeth and glasses.  Hold up signs at the glass behind the benches. 

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry for over posting,this one has me fired up though.

Wasn't there a game involving the Canucks in the last few years where the refs reviewed a play even though they weren't allowed to? I have a vague memory of that.

I'm surprised Toronto didn't get on the phone with the refs and say "F$%^ procedure guys, get this one right".

There was also this game from last October. Doesn't involve a goal, but it does involve a call missed, and the refs calling Toronto to review the play for them that Toronto doesn't usually (ever?) help with.  They called a high sticking on a Wild player, but missed the call on Guddy who highsticked a Wlid player at almost the same time. Instead of just calling what they saw in the moment (and not seeing Guddy's infraction) Toronto reviewed it in ultra slow motion for them and surprise...found the Guddy high stick and told them, and so they evened up the penalties.

They used the excuse that they knew there was a high stick, but didn't know which player it was, and were only asking for that info. Sure, likely story. If they didn't see who did it, how did they even see an infraction?  But more important, how can they use Toronto to retroactively make that call for them?  But a hand pass leading to a game deciding playoff goal you can't?

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

There was also this game from last October. Doesn't involve a goal, but it does involve a call missed, and the refs calling Toronto to review the play for them that Toronto doesn't usually (ever?) help with.  They called a high sticking on a Wild player, but missed the call on Guddy who highsticked a Wlid player at almost the same time. Instead of just calling what they saw in the moment (and not seeing Guddy's infraction) Toronto reviewed it in ultra slow motion for them and surprise...found the Guddy high stick and told them, and so they evened up the penalties.

They used the excuse that they knew there was a high stick, but didn't know which player it was, and were only asking for that info. Sure, likely story. If they didn't see who did it, how did they even see an infraction?  But more important, how can they use Toronto to retroactively make that call for them?  But a hand pass leading to a game deciding playoff goal you can't?

So you can review to see if the right player is in the box but can;t review a hand pass that leads to a goal?   LOL WHAT

Is it any surprise the refs were the cause of another result of incompetent refereeing? This is the same league and refs that allowed a skate in the crease cup winning goal back in 1999. This has become part of the leagues heritage. The NHL would like us to accept it and  embrace it. They must all be on crack...

FDC8B5F3-CB70-4E3B-BCDD-8475EF5423C1.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

A player is allowed to bat a puck down with an open glove hand to make a play with his own stick. 

5E4AD09E-E7DA-4DDD-8E2D-0AB7E7133B8D.png

79D77E65-54AB-4F0A-8ED5-09EDB0B06A18.png

08526D62-8996-41E1-BAA7-9EAFCECE43B4.jpeg

Thats the puck hitting his stick , after being batted down and bouncing off the ice.

Just because the camera angle from behind makes the puck look like it's overlapping the stick doesn't mean it hit the stick...

32 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

A player is allowed to bat a puck down with an open glove hand to make a play with his own stick. 

5E4AD09E-E7DA-4DDD-8E2D-0AB7E7133B8D.png

79D77E65-54AB-4F0A-8ED5-09EDB0B06A18.png

08526D62-8996-41E1-BAA7-9EAFCECE43B4.jpeg

Thats the puck hitting his stick , after being batted down and bouncing off the ice.

Just stop, watch the replay he WHIFFS completely. 100% a hand pass. 

Refs should be allowed to video review anything they deemed worthy in playoffs.  Offside, goalie interference, puck out of bounce, etc.  Reg season i can see the limits.  For for playoffs, everything should be reviewable. 

A coach may challenge if he has a time out left when the refs do not agree it requires fyrther review. 

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The only thing I thought which may of possibly happened was it hit Bouwmeesters left leg maybe, but it's kind of hard to really tell, that's really the only doubt I had regarding it.

8 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

This isn't the officials fault. If just one guy said "he gloves it, but...," end of discussion. Goal stands, because that's the rules the GMs make as a committee. When there's a lot of bodies on the ice and there's a stick waving motion, and the ref believes there's contact with the stick, you really can't be THIS upset to start crying corrupt league because that's just silly, or crying incompetent refs, because thats just not the case. It's not incompetence from the refs, it's the rules, and we've heard, time and time again from the announcers, "the league doesn't want to take away goals" so instead of blaming the refs, blame how the rules are structured instead of wanting these guys being fired, and having garbage thrown at them

The problem at this point is trust.  I don't trust the refs didn't see it.  I don't trust that they aren't taking money to rig games.  I don't trust that the league isn't instructing them to rig games.  And the reason for that lack of trust is because the standard of officiating for years has been absolutely unacceptable.  The fact that Kelly Sutherland still has a job is proof that the NHL doesn't take this issue seriously enough.  Can't blame the fans for being angry and pelting these dirtbags when that seems to be the only means of exposing the NHL as a joke of a league.

Officials do need to be fired in order to prove to the honest ones that honesty and professionalism will be a requirement to work in the NHL going forward.

Archived