The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser + 10th for Byram + [winger]

37 minutes ago, bree2 said:

if we traded Boeser , my favourite player, I would be done watching hockey! that said get Boeser resigned NOW!!! 

As in resigned to his fate of being a King?

• Haha 3

This deal not as asinine as you guys are making it out to be.  Until Boeser plays a full season he is injury prone and Byram is an absolute stud.  I don't think we need to include the 10th overall pick though.  

• Wat 2

Are people going to be trading away our best young players in their proposals every single time we're near a draft? If that's the case, these offseasons are going to be &^@#ing LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

Can't wait for the inevitable "Petersson + our first for 2nd overall" type proposals next year. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I understand your idea that wingers can be added later and are more easily found in FA compared to C or D...

BUT WE ARE NOT GIVING UP BOESER!!!!!!

I think realistically LAK will take Byram if he is still there at #5 and run, but they may be tempted by a deal that helps them get younger, sheds cap and gives them another pick and prospect

How about a deal like:

To VAN: 5th overall, Phaneuf

To LAK: 10th overall, 40th overall, Hutton

Phaneuf has negative value at 34yo and $5.25m, and LAK needs to desperately make some cap space. VAN can afford two more seasons of Phaneuf and could use his grit on the 3rd pairing LD. LAK upgrade to a younger LD that can handle top 4 minutes and has good size for the Western conference. Plus add an early second rounder.

I’d only do something like the above. NOT TRADING BOESER!

Petey, Boes, Bo, Quinn, Demko should be considered our future core and should not be traded unless a ridiculous offer is made.

I think that's over payment. Los Angeles BADLY needs to shed older players, but we don't necessarily need to be their landing pad. I'd rather have Schenn back for another year than Phaneuf, but since we're playing this game of "Let's make a deal that we hope won't kill us", let's try:

To Van: 5th Overall, Phaneuf

To LAK: 10th Overall, 40th Overall

We need to assume in this, that Phaneuf would essentially spend the next 2 years in Utica, mentoring our younger defense and we'd be absorbing approximately 4.2 million cap hit on him in Vancouver, during that time.  With that in mind, I'm not sure that we would even need to through in the 40th Overall, might be able to get away with giving them a 5th round pick, based on the flexibility that this trade would give them in their rebuild.

Then trade Hutton somewhere that needs a #4 D and is willing to pay a bit more of a premium.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

I'd rather draft Soderstrom on D and hope he turns out than give up Boeser and hope Byram turns out. Either way you are drafting D, not many jump into the NHL right away and help a team. Byram is no different. Yeah he had a monster playoffs in the WHL, that means squat in the NHL. I would explore other ways to achieve this deal, but I think Benning would want to keep our young guys together. Horvat, Boeser, Petey, Gaud, Hughes, Demko...

Agreed, Soderstrom not as big as some.  High skating and IQ and a rightie, hard to pass if available still at 10 IMO

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've started typing and re-editing about 10 times..... I can't say enough about how much I hate this deal. 

You don't trade guys like Boeser for picks. BB is a 30+ goal lock, and a quality human. You build teams around guy like him.

We're actually building what looks to be a very resilient d core with Hughes, OJ, Woo, Rathbone all within about 2 years of each other. Not to mention whoever we pick up this year. Yes it would be nice to have had lotto luck but we're just going to have to continue with the old fashioned method. 

This.  Can’t be said any better.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Are people going to be trading away our best young players in their proposals every single time we're near a draft? If that's the case, these offseasons are going to be &^@#ing LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

Can't wait for the inevitable "Petersson + our first for 2nd overall" type proposals next year. 

They’re already long with all the asinine proposals ;)  

You want to trade a 30 goal scorer (on pace for ~40 a season with a brutal injury) for a kid who could be the next Cam Barker?

Maybe Byram is a stud...but Boeser is already a stud. 

Edited by mephnick
  • Upvote 3

SO trading a proven nhl goal scorer (an all star) a player that could have won the Calder if not for a injury

who still very young and improving for a guy we hope is one day as good as that.

boeser virt Horvat Hughes petey demko 

should all be untouchable those are the “foundational” players you build around not dollar store third liners like sutter.

Simply put a draft pick is a gamble.

Unless your talking about a consensus top 1-3 pick you always risk missing the mark...

Almost 90% of the time you draft a player and he becomes an nhl player you take that as a win... turns out to be a great player then you have really done well or gotten lucky. Landing an elite nhl player at a 26 overall pick is hitting a grand slam.

You just do not trade these types of players away until they want out or want way too much money...

This trade is foolish imho