The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am wondering about Jake Gardiner.  I doubt he will play in another Canadian market, but (maybe?) he would be enough of an upgrade on Edler to sign him instead of Eddy?

He doesn't have Edler's physical presence, but he skates a lot better, and can move the puck with his feet, and with his stick.  How much is he going to get on the open market?

7X7?

And is much, much worse in his own end, to the point I'd rather ice our AHLers than that pylon.

I think the Canucks need to overhaul the defense, but not by going after one type of defenseman. Neither Myers nor Gardiner will provide solid defensive play. Both are too much of an adventure (and not a fun one) in their own end to invest any serious money in.

Edler is a far more well-rounded player than either, providing some offense, while being strong on the puck and providing solid physicality. If Edler is going elsewhere, Benning may need to swing for the fences and make a trade to get a true top pairing defenseman, and then dip into FA for role players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

As the Canucks already have a major issue defending signing Jake Gardiner isn't exactly a solution to that problem. Yes, they need offense from the back end but trying up 6.5 - 7 million a year for a guy who can't play much defense is mind boggling. 

We need D who can either help out defensively(hit, clear the front of the net) or help out offensively(PP, first pass out of the zone) NOT somewhere in the middle like what we have now: Stecher,Hutton,Tanev and Biega. I like Edlers game but he is getting older, is often injured and is sometimes inconsistent.

We can only go up from this point. ::D

Just now, EdgarM said:

We need D who can either help out defensively(hit, clear the front of the net) or help out offensively(PP, first pass out of the zone) NOT somewhere in the middle like what we have now: Stecher,Hutton,Tanev and Biega. I like Edlers game but he is getting older, is often injured and is sometimes inconsistent.

Out of the four, Stecher is the only one I'd like to see back. Skill, size, and speed are key, especially if they come with a combination of all three.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Out of the four, Stecher is the only one I'd like to see back. Skill, size, and speed are key, especially if they come with a combination of all three.

I like Stecher but for his size he should have more offensive output and I am not seeing that. He is too small to clear the front of the net or hit effectively, especially in the playoffs. He is feisty but so is Biega and he is classified as a fringe NHLer. I am afraid he is a filler until someone better comes along or he all of a sudden becomes an offensive dynamo(plays on the #1 PP). I highly doubt it though at this stage of the game.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I like Stecher but for his size he should have more offensive output and I am not seeing that. He is too small to clear the front of the net or hit effectively, especially in the playoffs. He is feisty but so is Biega and he is classified as a fringe NHLer. I am afraid he is a filler until someone better comes along or he all of a sudden becomes an offensive dynamo(plays on the #1 PP). I highly doubt it though at this stage of the game.

He hits pretty effectively. He laid out Matthews with a solid hit last season.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

I'd much rather have Myers than Edler at this point. Especially if Edler is commanding anything more than 5+ million after preaching how he wants to stay here. 

I'm not so sure - we'll have Myers a lot longer but he won't produce more than Eddy does, who hopefully signs just a 2 year deal. 

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Sadly you are quite right. Middling tweeners not good at any one thing. I feel Hughes and his small stature makes Stecher expendable. Blues just proved that size still matters on the back end.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not so sure - we'll have Myers a lot longer but he won't produce more than Eddy does, who hopefully signs just a 2 year deal. 

Why won't he produce the same or more? He has been consistently in the 30 point range and tremendous rookie year, that, at this age, is still possible to recapture. His point totals throughout have been very similar. Add in the fact that he is 4 years younger and significantly bigger than Edler. Seems like a no-brainer replacement. 

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Why won't he produce the same or more? He has been consistently in the 30 point range and tremendous rookie year, that, at this age, is still possible to recapture. His point totals throughout have been very similar. Add in the fact that he is 4 years younger and significantly bigger than Edler. Seems like a no-brainer replacement. 

Edler 0.45 ppg career, Myers 0.41 ppg career. Why would that suddenly change? 

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Sadly you are quite right. Middling tweeners not good at any one thing. I feel Hughes and his small stature makes Stecher expendable. Blues just proved that size still matters on the back end.

Your right Hughes is a perfect example of how a smaller offensive minded player should play the game and he hasn't even had any seasoning yet and will be way better as time passes.

We have been missing this type of player as well as a Pronger/Chara/Byfuglian type banger for the playoffs. None of our guys right now can do that and I am hoping JB can rectify this through FA , trade or draft.

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Biega is on this team come October, it will have been a failed off-season.  It's time to get serious.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler 0.45 ppg career, Myers 0.41 ppg career. Why would that suddenly change? 

You're agreeing with me they are basically on par then. Wouldn't that be considered a replacement. I mentioned he is also 4 years younger and under 30. Maybe there is potential for more offensive growth in another environment? Younger, bigger and similar offense with POSSIBLY more. Why is this even a debate? 

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You're agreeing with me they are basically on par then. Wouldn't that be considered a replacement. I mentioned he is also 4 years younger and under 30. Maybe there is potential for more offensive growth in another environment? Younger, bigger and similar offense with POSSIBLY more. Why is this even a debate? 

he's 29 tho... not really expecting him to improve are you? He's OK. Given 2 years of Edler or 6 or 7 years of Myers I'd take Edler. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's 29 tho... not really expecting him to improve are you? He's OK. Given 2 years of Edler or 6 or 7 years of Myers I'd take Edler. 

That’s two years of an injury-prone 1D, which taxes everyone else and they don’t make the playoffs because of it.

Edler and Tanev should go.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s two years of an injury-prone 1D, which taxes everyone else and they don’t make the playoffs because of it.

Edler and Tanev should go.

Doesn't Meyers get hurt somewhat too?  I know he's a big boy, but I don't think he's really more durable than Edler.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Giving Myers 6 years or Edler 2 puts them at the exact same age when both contracts expire.