The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So Zaitsev has five more years at 4.5 million. Some say he is a #4 D.

Myers will prob get 6 years at 6 million per because GMs over pay in UFA. Some say Myers is a #4 D.

I guess I take Zaitsev if he cost very little in a trade.

What about you guys?

Zaitsev is a tier below Myers. If Myers takes 6x6, I'd go for it. I think he's going to get 7-7.5 for 6-7 years once the dust settles with EK. Myers is a legit top 4 dman that could fill in a top pairing role. He doesn't really shake up our defense alone to be worth that type of contract. Zaitsev is more a bottom pairing dman that could fill in a top 4 role, basically like Hutton. He does even less for our defense, but it's more about what else to gain if we take him on and at worst he adds depth to our RD if/when Tanev eventually goes down again.

Not a fan of what Myers will cost and not a fan of what Zaitsev would provide, but Zaitsev could net a favourable return.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

LeBrun says he was told that the Canucks were quite aggressive in trying to get Marcus Johansson out of NJD at the deadline.  He's a UFA so could still be a target this off-season.  

At the 13:05 mark: 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/lebrun-canucks-were-hot-on-marcus-johansson-at-the-trade-deadline-1.1316174

Marcus Johansson has the same amount of points as Eriksson (2 less in less games played) and Goldy (the same amount in less games played). I hope JB quits getting more bottom 9 forwards. We have a plethora of those (roussel, eriksson, goldy, virtanen, granlund, leivo, motte, beagle, pearson (prob play with Bo), gaudette, schaller, sutter). Hopefully a couple of those guys can make strides and play top 6 if needed such as Pearson (who was on a good point pace at end of year) and hopefully Virtanen. Gaudette is still developing.

We need top 6 scoring forwards, not more bottom 6. Sheesh.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Marcus Johansson has the same amount of points as Eriksson (2 less in less games played) and Goldy (the same amount in less games played). I hope JB quits getting more bottom 9 forwards. We have a plethora of those (roussel, eriksson, goldy, virtanen, granlund, leivo, motte, beagle, pearson (prob play with Bo), gaudette, schaller, sutter). Hopefully a couple of those guys can make strides and play top 6 if needed such as Pearson (who was on a good point pace at end of year) and hopefully Virtanen. Gaudette is still developing.

We need top 6 scoring forwards, not more bottom 6. Sheesh.

Points aren't everything, and even then the point totals aren't really representative of what each player brings. And yet, Johansson had decent numbers (on pace for 46 points) on a Devils team that was an absolute mess. Then he suffered an injury after coming to Boston, and was allowed to slowly work himself back into the lineup in a depth role prior to the playoffs. Seems like it was a good call, as he's been outstanding in the postseason, with 11 points in 19 games.

There has been a lot of focus on the Canucks' top-6. However, they actually weren't all that bad last year. The problem was the bottom-6, which got absolutely caved in last season - by a number of measures they were the worst bottom-6 in the league. Despite the quantity of "bottom-9 forwards" you mention, they haven't been able to put the pieces together in an effective way. But, there was a brief period at the end of the year where the 4th line performed quite well though, and that is (surprisingly) when Schaller was given a regular spot with Beagle. The data shows the 2 worked well together, much better than Beagle and Motte. So they will probably be 2/3 of what is hoped to be a better 4th line next year, the problem now is the 3rd line.

Johansson's underlying numbers are quite strong, and he drives play significantly better than Eriksson or Goldobin. Perhaps Benning & Co. have identified him as a solid option to either anchor an improved 3rd line, or play with Horvat and bump down Leivo or Pearson to the 3rd, and then Granlund or Sutter to the 4th to play with Beagle and Schaller.

Some may not like this approach, and want the Canucks to go after bigger fish. However, based on a number of reports and rumours circulating, it seems the major focus of management is to make the more significant changes to the defense corps. It is likely that they are going to use the bulk of their trade chips and cap space to try to address that. If that is true, I'm all for it. As mentioned, the top-6 was not the problem with this team last season. Neither was goaltending. The problems were 1) defense, 2) defense, 3) defense, and 4) bottom-6.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:59 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

Gardiner already peaked at 53 points. I don't feel like he'll ever crack 40 again. Myers is an upgrade on the right hand side, but he's not what the Canucks need. The Canucks need 26-27 year old Gardiner, but I'm not opposed to adding my scoring on the back end.

Edler Stetcher
Gardiner Tanev
Schenn Hughes
Hutton Biega

Is it possible the Canucks are not resigning Edler?

Gardiner sucks though. I think Erik Karlsson and Stralman signed to Canucks would be the best.

Karlsson-Edler

Tanev-Stralman

Hughes-Schenn

Stecher-Hutton/Joulevi

This should be the Defense next year, plus the 10th pick, a Forward like Dach making the team.

Boeser-Pettersson-Baertschi

Pearson-Horvat-Zucker

Roussel-Gaudette-Dach

That top 9 along with that defense isn't too shabby

11 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Gardiner sucks though. I think Erik Karlsson and Stralman signed to Canucks would be the best.

Karlsson-Edler

Tanev-Stralman

Hughes-Schenn

Stecher-Hutton/Joulevi

This should be the Defense next year, plus the 10th pick, a Forward like Dach making the team.

Pearson-Horvat-Zucker

Roussel-Gaudette-Dach

First, Karlsson and Tanev are both right D, not left (and Edler is a left D and Stecher right/Hutton Juolevi left FWIW). Second, Stecher is not going to be a 7-8, spare D. Third, as much as Gardiner may 'suck' (and by no means am I advocating signing him), he puts up 40+/- points annually. I wish some of our current D 'sucked' like that too.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

First, Karlsson and Tanev are both right D, not left (and Edler is a left D FWIW). Second, Stecher is not going to be a 7-8, spare D. Third, as much as Gardiner may 'suck' (and by no means am I advocating signing him), he puts up 40+/- points annually. I wish some of our current D 'sucked' like that too.

meh, 25 secondary assists on his big points year, on a high powered no defence minded system. He won't produce like that with our team. 

11 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Karlsson-Edler

Tanev-Stralman

Hughes-Schenn

Stecher-Hutton/Joulevi

Pearson-Horvat-Zucker

Roussel-Gaudette-Dach

We can call it the "Vancouver off-wings" 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, 25 secondary assists on his big points year, on a high powered no defence minded system. He won't produce like that with our team. 

I don't know you can assume that. A potential Gardiner/Hughes pairing that largely sees offensive tilted 5v5 minutes and PP time feeding the likes of Pettersson, Boeser and potentially a top 6 UFA....? That has the potential to be quite fruitful as well.

And again, I'm not proposing we actually sign him. But we could do worse.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't know you can assume that. A potential Gardiner/Hughes pairing that largely sees offensive tilted 5v5 minutes and PP time feeding the likes of Pettersson, Boeser and potentially a top 6 UFA....? That has the potential to be quite fruitful as well.

And again, I'm not proposing we actually sign him. But we could do worse.

you have me there :lol:

If we traded for him and he had a year or even 2 on his deal I could live with it. A 5-7 year deal is a boat anchor. 

I suspect Jim's public interest in him might be part of the Edler negotiations more than anything else. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have me there :lol:

If we traded for him and he had a year or even 2 on his deal I could live with it. A 5-7 year deal is a boat anchor. 

I suspect Jim's public interest in him might be part of the Edler negotiations more than anything else. 

I suspect there's at least some of that as well.

I also think there's a slim possibility that Gardiner might actually be one of the few 'big' UFA's this summer that might have to take a more reasonable 4-6 year term given his back injury issues. But in all likelihood, bidding competition likely puts an end to that as well when cold reality comes around.

Just now, aGENT said:

I suspect there's at least some of that as well.

I also think there's a slim possibility that Gardiner might actually be one of the few 'big' UFA's this summer that might have to take a more reasonable 4-6 year term given his back injury issues. But in all likelihood, bidding competition likely puts an end to that as well when cold reality comes around.

Given the age difference and if Eddy is insisting on 3 plus year deal with expansion draft protection I would sooner go with Gardiner. I'm a huge Eddy fan and want him back. But if we are needing to protect someone at his age in two years it's a no go for me. If, we have an alternative option like Gardiner. 

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Given the age difference and if Eddy is insisting on 3 plus year deal with expansion draft protection I would sooner go with Gardiner. I'm a huge Eddy fan and want him back. But if we are needing to protect someone at his age in two years it's a no go for me. If, we have an alternative option like Gardiner. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Edler. All contract posturing by his agent IMO, which is his job. It might get Edler an extra few hundred $K or a full rather than partial NTC  and/or NMC for the non-ED year etc as 'compromise' closer to/after July 1 when there's more pressure to actually get a deal done. I don't see any way shape or form that Benning cedes that point entirely though. Just not going to happen.

Edler will likely have numerous teams lining up to give him $ and 3 years but I doubt very few/any will offer to use up an ED spot on him. And none of them are Vancouver where he clearly wants to stay regardless. Both he and the team want him here, it's still almost certain he's returning IMO. It's all just negotiating tactics and our crack media doing their usual panic-inducing troll job to drive clicks/listeners.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't worry too much about Edler. All contract posturing by his agent IMO, which is his job. It might get Edler an extra few hundred $K or a full rather than partial NTC  and/or NMC for the non-ED year etc as 'compromise' closer to/after July 1 when there's more pressure to actually get a deal done. I don't see any way shape or form that Benning cedes that point entirely though. Just not going to happen.

Edler will likely have numerous teams lining up to give him $ and 3 years but I doubt very few/any will offer to use up an ED spot on him. And none of them are Vancouver where he clearly wants to stay regardless. Both he and the team want him here, it's still almost certain he's returning IMO. It's all just negotiating tactics and our crack media doing their usual panic-inducing troll job to drive clicks/listeners.

I think your correct on the posturing and what other teams will offer. I wonder if there is a way to "back load" the contract. Say a 5 or whatever million cap hit per year but in years 3 or 4 of the contract most of the money is paid, not the first two years. Or bonuses due after the first two years.  It would virtually guarantee Seattle wouldn't take Eddy in an expansion draft. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think your correct on the posturing and what other teams will offer. I wonder if there is a way to "back load" the contract. Say a 5 or whatever million cap hit per year but in years 3 or 4 of the contract most of the money is paid, not the first two years. Or bonuses due after the first two years.  It would virtually guarantee Seattle wouldn't take Eddy in an expansion draft. 

Yup, hopefully they consider something like a $5, $5, $8 contract +/-.

SEA's not taking a 35 year old, 1 year expiring D, who's shown a clear unwillingness to play anywhere else and will likely come with an NTC, who's owed $8m.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Jim finds some other options rather than signing Myers or Gardiner to multi year deals.

I take Zaitsev with no sweetener attached before I sign Myers.  Myers is a 3rd pairing guy on a decent team just like Zaitsev, but is going to get $6 million plus and a lot of term because he is big.
Either option should be way down our contingency list.  Heck, find a way to pay out Tryamkin's last KHL contract year and pay him $3 million per year on a 3 year term to be our 3rd pairing RD.  Trade Virtanen+Dipietro+ for a quality young top 4 D.... do almost anything before any of these options.